USB Flash Drive Generation - does it improve transfer speeds? Need a fast one!

OpenSource Ghost

Limp Gawd
Does USB flash drive generation (3.0, 3.1, 3.2, etc) actually determine transfer speed? USB 3.0/3.2 flash drives transfer speed seems to vary significantly. I have one USB 3.0 flash drive with excellent transfer speed (above 150MB/sec) and several other USB 3.0 flash drives with horrific transfer speed (20MB/sec). Aren't USB flash drive generation standards supposed to define actual transfer speed? I bought a SanDisk USB 3.0 flash drive many years ago and it outperformed (in terms of transfer speed) all USB 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2 flash drives I ever purchased afterwards. It also used standard/universal/common USB driver. Then it broke and I couldn't find a replacement good/fast-enough at any local retail store, except for one that used a non-standard SCSI UAS Mass Storage driver, which was unavailable on some computers I used...

Are there any USB 3.0/3.1/3.2 flash drives (32GB-512GB) that have high transfer speed and yet use standard/universal/common USB drivers? Please recommend one...

The various USB standards just set interface protocols and compatibility - I don't believe they set/enforce any required minimum transfer speeds. They do typically provide for more performance capability/throughput though as they progress upwards with each generation, but it is up to the maker of the device to capitalize on those potential performance gains and also deliver them.

If you want a really fast USB thumb drive, this seems to be oneof the better ones out there currently:
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDCZ880-256G-G46-Extreme-256GB-Solid/dp/B01N7QDO7M

I don't own the above stick, but I did recently acquired this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BAR-Plus-256GB-MUF-256BE4

While not quite as fast, it is more practically sized for keychain carry use with a smaller form factor and more rugged outer shell. I can vouch that it is also quite zippy compared to other USB sticks I've owned. No complaints here.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The USB standards specify only the maximum transfer speeds. Devices using that interface may perform substantially slower than that.

For example, I have had USB 3.0 flash drives read up to 150 MB/s but only write at up to 16 MB/s. In fact, a very recent SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 flash drive read at nearly 150 MB/s but wrote slower than 40 MB/s based on my own benchmarking.

In the OP's case, the flash NAND used is the limiting factor. If on the other hand a USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 external SSD is used on only a USB 3.0 port, then the maximum transfer speed will be capped at around 420 MB/s even if the drive itself is capable of much faster.

Remember, USB 3.0 = USB 3.1 Gen 1 = USB 3.2 Gen 1x1.

If speed is really your goal I would suggest getting a SSD and putting it into a latest gen USB-C enclosure. If all your target devices support Thunderbolt you could even get a Thunderbolt SSD enclosure and get get nearly the maximum speed out of it.

If speed is really your goal I would suggest getting a SSD and putting it into a latest gen USB-C enclosure. If all your target devices support Thunderbolt you could even get a Thunderbolt SSD enclosure and get get nearly the maximum speed out of it.
Agree - if form factor isn't an issue and you are just after portable speed, then a true SSD dropped into a USB-C drive enclosure is going to give you the best performance.

If you want a really fast USB thumb drive, this seems to be oneof the better ones out there currently:
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDCZ880-256G-G46-Extreme-256GB-Solid/dp/B01N7QDO7M
ive got the 128gb of these, its basically as fast as an internal ssd, hits ~450/400

If speed is really your goal I would suggest getting a SSD and putting it into a latest gen USB-C enclosure.
this is the only combo that beats the above, just beats it

edit: this is the enclosure i have and it will do full ssd speed and its only $6 with the coupon tick box.
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Tool-free-Enclosure-Optimized-EC-UASP/dp/B00OJ3UJ2S

Last edited:
I have a 64GB USB3 drive that maxes around 120MB/s but wanted a bit better.
So I made a drive with a USB3 controller + heatsink (with USB A and C connection wires) from Amazon, and a 1TB NVME SSD, it maxes over 650MB/s in a tiny package.
Great value at a bit over £100 total.
One and a third years old without an issue, performs superbly.

Last edited:
Do all of the mentioned drives get detected as common USB device? As I stated earlier, I can easily find fast ones that are atypical. I need one that is detected as USB flash drive, not some SCSI USB-like device.

I have a Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB USB3 thumbdrive and it has near SSD reads and writes.
Computer sees it as s normal USB device so no funky drivers or anything required.
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-128GB-Extreme-Solid-State-dp-B08GYM5F8G/dp/B08GYM5F8G

CrystalDiskMark_Sandisk_Extremem_Pro_USB_20211215091628.jpg

1672051908046.png

I kinda agree. So much wasted on many USB stick that either crap right out or fail on performance. I just would never trust this for any form of important data. USB sticks have become the new "cheap CD". I am sure awesome USB sticks can be done but the market full of POS at rock bottom $$ has prevented any worthy competition that can be trusted. I consider my junk drawer full of USB sticks to just be that. Junk!
I pull them out and use them for single use applications like an OS install of a bios upgrade. But not much else.

Back