usb diconnectes on ryzen

groebuck

2[H]4U
Does anyone know of a fix? This is my third ryzen mobo and it happens on every one. First I thought it was my corsair headset but my mouse, kb and usb drive all randomly disconnect. It is so bad the pc is pretty much unsable

Usually that means something on the USB bus is drawing too much power. Not sure about this situation, but worth investigating.

Does anyone know of a fix? This is my third ryzen mobo and it happens on every one. First I thought it was my corsair headset but my mouse, kb and usb drive all randomly disconnect. It is so bad the pc is pretty much unsable

Stupid question but could it be going into power save mode?

Let's try the basics of isolating:

Did you install from scratch and check for stability before adding a bunch of drivers?

Does it occur at overclock? Standard clock?

Are you running latest bios?

What's the stability if you remove all accessories but video, keyboard and mouse?

Usually that means something on the USB bus is drawing too much power. Not sure about this situation, but worth investigating.

True. If you draw too much current, the os will disconnect the device. Some use a cheap poly fuse which auto resets but becomes more sensitive to tripping for a long time.

google ryzen usb issues - it's not a me problem -

I have tried every suggested try - this is the third mobo second cpu - happens on stock, happens on oc, happnes cmos reset.

I first noticed when my headset would just randomly power off. Then I started to notice suttering in overwatch and the mouse would freeze and i would stop moving even though I had the w pressed.

Then I did everything suggested, power profile, bios update, driver update....then I googled ryzen usb issues and found out a lot of people have the same problem.

google ryzen usb issues - it's not a me problem -

I have tried every suggested try - this is the third mobo second cpu - happens on stock, happens on oc, happnes cmos reset.

I first noticed when my headset would just randomly power off. Then I started to notice suttering in overwatch and the mouse would freeze and i would stop moving even though I had the w pressed.

Then I did everything suggested, power profile, bios update, driver update....then I googled ryzen usb issues and found out a lot of people have the same problem.

Well that sucks. Seems a lot of people with b350 chipsets have this issue. But you could try this. One commentator said this solved his issue:

Well, I solved the problem for finally. Had to manually override the USB drivers that Windows wanted to use, with the ones in the AMD Chipset package. Don't know why it wouldn't use those to begin with, and it wants to revert back to the generic Microsoft drivers if I allow it to. Really frustrating that installing the AMD Chipset drivers didn't force Windows to use its drivers in the first place. If it helps, I manually selected the drivers from C:\AMD\AMD-Chipset-Drivers\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\USB... and then the corresponding ones for the controllers and hubs.
Maybe Microsoft borked something?

Hope that works for you.

Eliminate USB devices seems like keyboard and mouse. Could be the power supply also. Only things if it's multiple boards. Different keyboard and mouse. May be something drawing too much power on USB.

Last edited:
Tired that - now the proud owner of a razer blackwidow and corsair as well as the generic usb keybaord tyring now three mice as well and tried just standard usb heasset and corsair...nothing fixes it - I did download the asermedia cab for the latest usb drivers...see if that works...but it's not just b350 x370 had it too - asus prime and gigayte auros did same thing.

If it's drawing too much power, do you have the ability to boost power to the USB ports? Makes me wonder if that will work...hmm

I had the very same issue with my recently built Ryzen system, and it was due one of the UPS, the monitoring software caused all kind of weird issues with USB ports disabling it entirely or making it act weird as enabling/disabling with 1 second interval.

No different head sets - corsair wireless and a straight usb plug in. I don't have a usb connected or software - I have went so far as to do a clean window install and all the amd drivers - still happening. It was not until I googled ryzen and usb issues did I see others were having the same problems. Some report it happens on linux as well so not a windows issue. As best I can tell it is a usb overcurrent issue - the last time I switched from the ryzen to my 7700 to play I had my usb ssd plugged in, Thing was powered off but still had power plug in it - the usb drive was warm - from a box powered off for days...

Well the only thing we haven't checked is the video card or processor. Could try a different video card. You mentioned the stuttering.

All I can figure is a problem with audio passthrough on USB. Unless you are using a bad header for case mounted USB ports.

No different head sets - corsair wireless and a straight usb plug in. I don't have a usb connected or software - I have went so far as to do a clean window install and all the amd drivers - still happening. It was not until I googled ryzen and usb issues did I see others were having the same problems. Some report it happens on linux as well so not a windows issue. As best I can tell it is a usb overcurrent issue - the last time I switched from the ryzen to my 7700 to play I had my usb ssd plugged in, Thing was powered off but still had power plug in it - the usb drive was warm - from a box powered off for days...

USB power can be stay off or on after power down based on bios settings. This became an issue for Intel laptops a few years back and Intel had to add a USB power state in a later chipset. (It affected battery longevity if devices we're attached.). I think Kyle or Dan wrote something up about this.

Over current could very well be the issue. But that usually doesn't result in high latency. Sounds like a South bridge chipset issue.

But I find this odd none of the review sites caught wind of this issue during their testing.

If I think of anything I'll write some more.

My wifes 1600 (nonX) would drop the mouse over night, requiring reboot to get it back. Razor mouse and keyboard using 20ft usb extensions. Replaced the ram with the FlareX and not happened since.

Review sites probably dont use machines like day in day out the way we do. I would never know my head set dropped out unless it happened in a 3 hour overwatch game.

Review sites probably dont use machines like day in day out the way we do. I would never know my head set dropped out unless it happened in a 3 hour overwatch game.
Yes but they stress test them and have mouse and keyboard attached.

If you think it's an issue, I would think it worthy of front page attention. Ie: Nvidia faulty solder on laptops or Xbox 360 red ring of death.

Some people say it's memory. Are you running certified mem chips at stock timings?

Went down the memory path - that was the first attempts people thought it was oc'ing and memory but happens when bone stock. And usb keyboard and mouse - well it's not a shut off it is a stutter - and unless you are playing a fps game you don't really notice it - with mouse and keyboard it seems to be a temporary interruption - with devices that draw more power - like HDD or the wireless headsets - it seems to cause a power down. If it were just me sure I would say it is something I did but if you google search it - all the forums have it - amd, linus, toms a lot of people are reporting the issue. there seems to be no definitive fix. There is a lot of try this try that - and because Ryzen is still new people are willing to chalk up these things to quirks. I think it is more than that. The fact it happens on three different motherboards, two different ryzen chips and multiple configurations (basically everything I have tried) should tell you something.

well i am not an expert but my guess is on PSU ,

i can write here my situation : asus prime b350m-a with ryzen 1700 oced to 3,8ghz with 1,25V single stick of ram 8gb 2666mhz and now ,read carefully , ati 2600XT /like it so much because no add. power needed/ no other componets ...
i got old silverstone 1000w PSU only because i had no other one but i tried seasonic 430W green one before and all was good . Pretty unusable pc u think , yes i am not playing games at all but for network rendering quite good performance /watt ratio.

750 aix corsair psu - but I think I might have figured it out - as others posted - the usb drivers get overwritten by windows ones - I think that is where the issue is - Once I put the asmedia ones in it seems to have resolved the issues.

I had a 1700x and then a Threadripper and my oculus would always randomly disconnect. I think it has something to do with the processors.

My Intel chips do not do this.

On a TR4 system and I do notice that on power loss during hibernation the keyboard resets and I have to change back my profile (ducky keyboard).

I run all my USB devices through a hub with its own power supply, though.

I think it has something to do with the asmedia drivers and the whql drivers which get installed on windows updates. IT does not seem tied to any one mobo or processor but the ryzen line and apparenlty threadripper too.

Hmm and now on a brand new 1700x build - with x370 auros mobo - shut downs on my usb headset, mouse freezes, slows down....same shit...and I cannot find the link to the asmedia drivers - dammit. if this continues I am sworn off amd.

Interesting, I have up to 10 usb devices plugged in on my system (including 3 high speed ports for Oculus) at any given time with no issues. The only issue I have is that my Bluetooth dongle does not like the usb 3.0 or 3.1 ports, it still works but the range is horrible. In usb 2.0 ports it's much better.

I do have a powered 4 port usb 3 pcie card installed, but it was a carryover from my previous system that I installed to get more ports. I've run my system without it and all worked fine but I only had 9 ports so I threw it in to get more. You'd think if there were an inherent usb issue, I'd have it.

Have you tried upping your vsoc? Unplugging any external (ie case) ports? I've had case ports that caused all kinds of issues before that took me forever to track down. If you've been through multiple boards and chips, I think its one of your accessories or case mounted ports, psu etc. causing it, not the platform.

This happened to me under the initial release of Windows 10 and got fixed once I put the AMD chipset drivers / Asmedia USB drivers on and updated the system. Problem was, I was using a USB NIC. :(

EDIT: I've updated to anniversary and now creators and haven't continued to have issues with the USB drivers getting overwritten. Something's wonky with your setup....

I have had issues with the Creative drivers getting updated to versions that don't work with the front panel audio on my SBZ, though.

Last edited:
I would buy that except for I am not the only one by a long shot - amd, reddit, linus, toms all the forums have reports of usb issues - i have tried different power supplys graphics cards a 1700/x370 a 1700/b350 and now a 1700x/x370 three different mobo vendors - three different cpus - different memory - keyboards, mice, cases - in case, out of case...it happened again last night my head set randomly shut off - then my mouse would slow down to a total crawl - my push to talk was tied to mb4 that stopped working - something is wonky in Ryzen land.

It's definitely the ASMedia Drivers.

You're describing the exact issue I had back in March before I got them to load. Which was an issue, given the removable media and wifi cards were all USB, but I finally got them loaded after a couple of days.

I have not had this issue since then.

ETA: Do you have a legit version of Windows?

where did you get them from I have been looking all over I think i found them once in a linked forum but I cannot find tham again.

yes fully legit windows version -

Back