USB DAC, can I run it through a kvm?

Imitation

2[H]4U
So when H's recent review of that creative usb dac, i got curious. If I plugged a usb dac into my kvm and it swapped it between my 2 machines via the kvm, I'd basically get dbl duty out of it right? I could use it on both my laptop and my desktop without any issues? Anyone ever done this before?

I've only got a 2.0 setup right now, but I use them machines pretty evenly, laptop for work and desktop for games.

no.
kvms only process keyboard and mouse commands.

youd probably be better off buying a dac with multiple inputs.

No they don't. You are thinking KVMs with PS2 ports, he is talking KVM with USB ports. It will work fine, that is how I share printers, external USB HDDs, and a scanner between 2 PCs. You can also buy USB switches for multiple PCs and do it with those. I have 2 USB switches hooked up right now.

Yeah i've got a cheap IOgear model that only does usb and vga video. I'm not even using the video, it wasn't very good quality so i'm only using it as a usb switch right now. I'm thinking I should be ok here, i actually had to use a usb hub to feed my desktop cause cords weren't long enough and it still works fine.

Now i just need to figure out which usb dac to get if i get one :) More researching.

Back