USB-C Adapter with HDMI and USB that actually works...

robvas

Gawd
The Apple adapter sucks and doesn't work well with external drives. Anyone know of an adapter that has power, video, AND a regular USB 3 port that works with all external drives?

I have zero problems with mine. What external drive isn't working? USB optical burners won't play nicely but they far exceed the USB spec and typically come with multipart cables to up the available current for that reason.

I have a Hitachi 2.5" HD that only works at USB 2.0 speeds and my ********** enclosure barely works at all. If the drive even shows up, once you list the directory the drive disappears in Finder.

If I use the Apple USB-C to USB adapter they all work perfectly, but of course I can't charge or use an external monitor while using a drive.

I don't have those issues at all. Get apple to replace it. I think you have a bum adapter.

I have a mid- 2017 13" MBP (Non-Touchbar) that I use mainly on a desk but needed the laptop for DJing as well. It took me a LONG time to find a solution that worked for me. I've been through 3 docks and a handful of adapters and dongles. I ultimately settled on a Benfei USB-C to Displayport (female), and a Trendnet USB-C to 4 x USB-3 hub w/ power delivery. Attached to the USB hub I have:

• Plugable USB-3 to gigabit ethernet,
  • 3TB WD Passport
  • 4TB Seagate Backup Plus for Time Machine
  • My monitor's USB2 hub which has a USB sound card and an Apple Superdrive connected, plus a Logitech Unifying receiver and one open USB2 for connecting iPhone.

All in about $50, so much cheaper than the $300+ TB3 docks, and it actually works better.

If you have a Macbook though you only have one USB-C port so you are kind of limited.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back