USB Blu-Ray players

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
Any good inexpensive ones out there? I would like to get the LG internal dual-reader, but it's scarce, and I've already got an Xbox drive playing the HD DVD part. No writing necessary, backing up to optical media is soooo 20th century. :p

USB 2.0 is 480mbit per sec if you have a good USB controller chipset. Plenty of speed. It looks like the ROM drive reads at 4x maximum speed. You won't run into any speed problems if that's what you're asking. And yes, you can make it an external drive like that if you want. I tried it with my Toshiba HD DVD-ROM before I installed it in my HTPC and it worked great.

Here you go!

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=AA72426&CartID=done&nextloc=

Picked up mine this evening with free fed-ex ground shipping. Almost 30 bucks cheaper than Newegg and service the same if not better than Newegg's. I ordered it around 3pm PST this afternoon and received an email from them at 4pm that it was shipped with the tracking number.

Man I wish I had the money for that. Do they come with a version of PowerDVD that is capable of playing HD movies, latest version i have is Power DVD6?

USB 2.0 is 480mbit per sec if you have a good USB controller chipset. Plenty of speed. It looks like the ROM drive reads at 4x maximum speed. You won't run into any speed problems if that's what you're asking. And yes, you can make it an external drive like that if you want. I tried it with my Toshiba HD DVD-ROM before I installed it in my HTPC and it worked great.

USB 2.0 is 480mps where as IDE is only 133mps and the fastest hard drives out there even SATA only use a max of about 60mps, the specs for the drive interfaces are way beyond what any drive is capable of.

You are getting your units screwed up.

These are just theoretical numbers anyhow:
USB 2.0 = 480 megabits per second
IDE 133 = 133 megabytes per second
Sata 1.5 = 1.5 gigabits per second
Sata 3.0 = 3.0 gigabits per second

There's 8 bits in a byte.

But my original point was the same; that there won't be a performance hit anywhere.

Back