USB Audio - Enermax DreamBass Genie

Caffeinated

[H]ard|Gawd
On board sound on my old Gigabyte 2500K system (It's old!) was horrible when my ASUS Xonar DGX bit the dust in the great apocalypse of PSU failure, so I picked one of these.

29-194-001-05.jpg

It's called a DreamBass Genie. For a $14 USB sound solution, it's actually pretty good. It has an amp, and paired with some cheap JVC earbuds (RP-HJE120's - even Head-Fi calls them decent for the money) it sounds pretty darn good.

I don't claim to be an audiophile, but I absolutely cannot stand this particular on board audio chipset. Considering that this is now just relegated to an old workstation that gets occasional use, I didn't want to break the bank, but for $14, I can't complain.

This would be pretty good as a solution for a laptop, too. If you are looking to fix up a give away for a family member or friend, this is a cheap but impacting upgrade.

Here's an old review of it. I didn't realize it had been around this long, but they thought the same thing I did - for the price, it beats the crap out of onboard for laptops and desktops if you can't spring for high-end.

Hope this helps folks putting together give aways, etc. for friends, family, charity for Christmas and what-not. I try to donate a PC made with salvaged parts to folks I know that need one - that is direct charity, and it isn't going to inflate some charitable organizations "administrative" salaries. There are plenty of people that can be helped through donating directly, and helping people you know with salvaged PC's is a great way to bring someone a Merry Christmas or other holiday!

Last edited:
Back