USB 3 "B" conenctor - Why?

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
I just received a power USB 3 hub that uses a B connector - lol. I haven't seen one of those for I don't know how long. But, why would they use a USB B connector on a USB hub?

I just received a power USB 3 hub that uses a B connector - lol. I haven't seen one of those for I don't know how long. But, why would they use a USB B connector on a USB hub?

Do you mean the old square 4 pin "printer" type or the new larger USB 3.0 "B" version? I have a few USB 3.0 hubs that feature the latter I like those better then the POS "Micro B" both USB 2 & 3.0 versions they both suck they break way to easily
USB should have been designed from the get go to be able to be inserted in both directions I know most other ports are obvious but a rectangle connector should be able to go in both ways it is only obvious which way they go if you look at both end before you plug them in and even when you do they seem to change them selves
4QHUV.png

Old design for which they didn't want to spend the dollars to re-engineer for USB-C.

I heard people have had trouble with USB-C ports breaking but I have my Samsung Galaxy S9+ for almost two years now and the USB-C port still works fine
USB has way too many cables & types available to be a "universal standard" :banghead:

A & B are used to distinguish the "host" end that would source power from the "device" end that would consume power so that you didn't end up plugging a device into something that couldn't supply power or plug a host into something that could.

Off, here's something to brag about:

Taco has smartphone(sub$200) with micro usb connector nd she never had any problems over 2 years. Now that's proven design choice, so glad they used that instead of novelty usb-c.🙄

I had (well still have just not with an active SIM card) a Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 this was my favorite until most applications (why it is now called "apps" I don't know) dropped support for Android 4.xx. If I can find a way to hack a newer version that would be awesome as it has an IR blaster that the newer Galaxy series dropped supposedly to save space and make a smaller device.

A & B are used to distinguish the "host" end that would source power from the "device" end that would consume power so that you didn't end up plugging a device into something that couldn't supply power or plug a host into something that could.

Yes I do know that but apparently some Chinese manufactures don't as I have seen many cheap hard drive enclosures that have a USB A end and a double male 'A' to 'A' cable included. When I buy an external drive case I make absoutly sure it has a "standard" B type and not a female 'A' connector
I also think extender cables are not part of the USB spec? But those I use but not cheap ones or ones longer then 6'/72" or chain 2 or more together.

😂mate, it's even werse when they added 'apps' to a **windows device**🤣🤣🤣🤣
That's becasue they are not FUCKING APPS! They are PROGRAMS god damn it! lol

All this "app" shit came out of Android and Apple phone shit. I call "apps" those nutless dumb dumb things that you use with your thumbs, that run on phones, that have one dumb function--like ordering pizza,--something a browser was doing in 1998, and PROGRAMS for what runs on a computer, that have real functions, like, uh, writing an essay or engineering modeling, or even writing a stupid 'app' called "stickupmyass" so your millennial asses can send a 'selfie' to someone who could give a fuck because they are too busy sending out selfies to other people who could give a fuck.

Really, because loading a real program isn't an app, millennial douche, with your designer jeans up you ass, your 'ear buds' crammed into your cerebellum, and your 'techie' ass-face pasted 4 feet into your designer iPhone, at a green light, while I rear end your belly button, retarded "Bernie" baring bumper stickered "Eat Kale" BMW into low orbit. :vamp::arghh:😂

Do you mean the old square 4 pin "printer" type or the new larger USB 3.0 "B" version?
The new USB 3 version that look like the old USB 2 version, except on steroids. I don't understand why they would use that on a USB hub. It doesn't matter what end you plug into your computer or the hub. IT just makes the hub harder to find a cable for if you lose it.

That's becasue they are not FUCKING APPS! They are PROGRAMS god damn it! lol

All this "app" shit came out of Android and Apple phone shit. I call "apps" those nutless dumb dumb things that you use with your thumbs, that run on phones, that have one dumb function--like ordering pizza,--something a browser was doing in 1998, and PROGRAMS for what runs on a computer, that have real functions, like, uh, writing an essay or engineering modeling, or even writing a stupid 'app' called "stickupmyass" so your millennial asses can send a 'selfie' to someone who could give a fuck because they are too busy sending out selfies to other people who could give a fuck.

Really, because loading a real program isn't an app, millennial douche, with your designer jeans up you ass, your 'ear buds' crammed into your cerebellum, and your 'techie' ass-face pasted 4 feet into your designer iPhone, at a green light, while I rear end your belly button, retarded "Bernie" baring bumper stickered "Eat Kale" BMW into low orbit. :vamp::arghh:😂
Laughing out loud,
millennials good thing I am not one! I am produly "Generation X" the last generation who had toy guns (cap guns were the "shit") and played outside after school and had real Saturday morning cartoons on a CRT television.

The new USB 3 version that look like the old USB 2 version, except on steroids. I don't understand why they would use that on a USB hub. It doesn't matter what end you plug into your computer or the hub. IT just makes the hub harder to find a cable for if you lose it.

You mean like this? If so this is one of many "standard" types of USB cables I have a lot of USB cables of different types.
I hate the Chinese who don't follow the "standards as I said in Post #6

Attachments

• 71tqpwMZ7TL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71tqpwMZ7TL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 0
You mean like this? If so this is one of many "standard" types of USB cables I have a lot of USB cables of different types.
I hate the Chinese who don't follow the "standards as I said in Post #6
Yeah, that's the abortion, for sure. I just cannot understand why they did that.

Yeah, that's the abortion, for sure. I just cannot understand why they did that.

Probably cheaper than making a whole new design just add more pins and call it done!
A USB 2.0 will fit in those (with 2.0 speeds obviously) same with the micro versions the "extra" pins enable the USB 3.0 speeds

I like the 3.0 b connector. Never going to plug it in upside down, and it is not a fragile design.

Why do amazon links keep getting converted to media links that don't work?

Try this but have to cut and paste:

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JLKBYW2

61GC%2BsafUPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You would. Like a .0000000001 ounce USB hub is going to break a connection anyway, right? LOL :)
I have had more problems with the female 'A' type connectors getting loose and/or damaged then the USB type 'B' 3.0 style and yes I look at which way it goes before I plug in a cable I don't just blindly plug them in. I even to the same when inserting a two-prong polarized plug (PS the wide one is the neutral wire)
I've had a few micro USB ports break off pcbs at least partially.
Yes same here on a cheap USB 3.0 WiFi adapter the Micro 'B' came loose and when I tried to 'fix' that it came completely off. Any connector that has to endure stress such as plugging and unplugging a connector should not rely only on a surface mount connection.

Laughing out loud,
millennials good thing I am not one! I am produly "Generation X" the last generation who had toy guns (cap guns were the "shit") and played outside after school and had real Saturday morning cartoons on a CRT television.
Whoa easy there, I'm a millennial and grew up with all those things :D My cartoons were in color though.

Whoa easy there, I'm a millennial and grew up with all those things :D My cartoons were in color though.

So were the ones I watched I am not that old now get off my lawn you youngster don't come back now ya, hear or you'll get a taste of my boot!

Reactions: Epos7
like this
Oh man, I DO remember watching black and white cartoons. I was born in 1961. Wow, I'm actually a part of the generation that grew -- up until I was 10 years old -- with black and white TVs. We got our first color TV when I was about 10 or 11 years old. Time is so strange.

Oh man, I DO remember watching black and white cartoons. I was born in 1961. Wow, I'm actually a part of the generation that grew -- up until I was 10 years old -- with black and white TVs. We got our first color TV when I was about 10 or 11 years old. Time is so strange.
Lol! I was born 23 years later (1984) I remember black & white cartoons also! I love Looney Toons the road runner makes me laugh meep meep! The old Daffy duck ones were good also
Duck season rabbit season duck season rabbit season Duck season rabbit season duck season, duck season says daffy and Elmer Fudd proceides to shoot daffy's beak off!

Lol! I was born 23 years later (1984) I remember black & white cartoons also! I love Looney Toons the road runner makes me laugh meep meep! The old Daffy duck ones were good also
Duck season rabbit season duck season rabbit season Duck season rabbit season duck season, duck season says daffy and Elmer Fudd proceides to shoot daffy's beak off!
Who let you guys out of the nursing home? My cartoons had color AND sound :D

Off, here's something to brag about:

Taco has smartphone(sub$200) with micro usb connector nd she never had any problems over 2 years. Now that's proven design choice, so glad they used that instead of novelty usb-c.🙄

Micro is a garbage connector, I thought that was pretty universally agreed upon. Yeah, i've had devices where it still "works" but its terrible. Works in one direction, feels incredibly flimsy, little clips that wear out.

And I don't understand how a standard can be called a novelty when it literally does everything better.

Back