USB 3.1 Is on Its Way This Year

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s been called SuperSpeed+ USB, but its formal name is Universal Serial Bus Revision 3.1 and it’s coming to devices near you later on this year. So what’s the big deal? USB 3.1 is backwards compatible to USB 2.0 and it has a transfer rate of 10Gbps, twice as fast as 3.0 and on par with Intel’s Thunderbolt technology.

In other words, USB 3.1 is faster and more powerful, while maintaining backwards compatibility with previous versions of USB, back to USB 2.0. Not only is this new standard twice as fast as version 3.0, but it also uses AC power more efficiently.

...and it (finally) uses a universal cable: Type C. There is no "micro" or "mini" version of this, full size and smaller sized devices all use the same type of plug. Both ends look the same and the cable has no up/down orientation.

I hope my new X99 Motherboard has this new USB 3.1 as well as an M.2 port

The thing I am looking forward to the most with USB 3.1 is the ability to power external 3.5" HDDs (and other peripherals) without an AC adapter.

And how many years until Intel finally puts this into their chipsets?
I still have to order external drives for the office with eSata, because most the system still do not have USB 3.0.

I still have to order external drives for the office with eSata, because most the system still do not have USB 3.0.

To late for Haswell-E and broadwell. There is a good chance for Skylake.

This is really old news. Most PCs I've come across are still stuck with 2.0.

Google image search shows a 3.1 micro connector, not just the type c version.

Google image search shows a 3.1 micro connector, not just the type c version.

You weren't looking very hard.

jXlbTM6.jpg

Not Micro connector since it is reversible.

This type C connector is a universal connector, too... meaning ALL USB 3.1 devices will be using it both at the host and device end.

Why does intel need USB 3 when they have Light Peak? ;)

You weren't looking very hard.

jXlbTM6.jpg

Not Micro connector since it is reversible.

This type C connector is a universal connector, too... meaning ALL USB 3.1 devices will be using it both at the host and device end.

USB 3.1 cables and connectors will be the same as USB 3.0 just as USB 2.0 was compatible with 1.1 and 1.0.

"The USB 3.1 specification primarily extends existing USB 3.0 protocol and hub operation for speed scaling along with defining the next higher physical layer speed as 10 Gbps," said Brad Saunders, USB 3.0 Promoter Group Chairman. "The specification team worked hard to make sure that the changes made to support higher speeds were limited and remained consistent with existing USB 3.0 architecture to ease product development."
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/SuperSpeed-USB-3.0-Thunderbolt-10Gbps-Promoter-Group,23768.html

Just what we need, even more different cables.

My favorite, cheap, external case USB 3.0 case for the office has a standard USB 3.0 Type "A" connection on the back. All I need to connect it to a PC is a cheap Type "A" to Type "A" USB cable.
The reason this is my favorite case, is because I have yet to have one sent back with a broken connector. These Mini/Micro connection (especially the wide USB 3.0 ones with the heavier cables) are too easy to break.

Why not just call it USB 4.0 if it is twice as fast as USB 3.0
Because it is not a new standard, just a faster one. And to all you people saying that there will be new cables, there won't. See http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb_31_031114.zip Section 5.3 on file "USB_3_1_r1.0.pdf" shows the connectors and pin outs and they are exactly the same as USB 3.0. This is straight from the horse's mouth.

[21CW]killerofall;1040853093 said:
Because it is not a new standard, just a faster one. And to all you people saying that there will be new cables, there won't. See http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb_31_031114.zip Section 5.3 on file "USB_3_1_r1.0.pdf" shows the connectors and pin outs and they are exactly the same as USB 3.0. This is straight from the horse's mouth.

Was USB 3.0 a new standard from USB 2.0? I don't' think so, it was just faster.

This is really old news. Most PCs I've come across are still stuck with 2.0.

Weird. My PC was built about 2.5 years ago and it was USB3.0. Do you work at a school or something that explains your frequently coming across old pcs?

Was USB 3.0 a new standard from USB 2.0? I don't' think so, it was just faster.

5 additional pins for a USB3 cable and connector, so no, it wasn't "just faster." An editor at HardOCP really should know something like that.

...and it (finally) uses a universal cable: Type C. There is no "micro" or "mini" version of this, full size and smaller sized devices all use the same type of plug. Both ends look the same and the cable has no up/down orientation.

oh cool, catching up to Lightning, then.

I hope we have quick adoption for manufactures like kindle and cellphones. I remember an article saying the EU wanted one connector to rule them all.

They don't want, they demanded and as such, I think it's now law. Not sure when it takes effect or if it has already.

Why not one standard connector for the start? Money.

Uhug, I don't care about the speed; I just want the powerable devices and omni sidded connector that hopefully is sturdy enough to handle repeated unplugging on mobile devices for a few years.

Why do you say that? The picture you posted clearly shows a USB 3.1 Type-A connector also. What makes you think they will only use Type-C?

Comprehension fail.

"Type C" is designed to be a third supported plug that does all the things I described. It was introduced to replace previous connectors. May not be mandatory but that's what its purpose is.

Comprehension fail.

I'm not sure who you're claiming failed to comprehend what, but you're first two posts seemed pretty certain about the way in which type-C connectors would be used, considering it's pretty damn clear Type-A is here to stay for a long time.

"Type C" is designed to be a third supported plug that does all the things I described. It was introduced to replace previous connectors. May not be mandatory but that's what its purpose is.

A bit of a back-track from your previous statements, but that's okay, we'll just pretend no one else noticed that you were wrong ;)

I'm not sure who you're claiming failed to comprehend what, but you're first two posts seemed pretty certain about the way in which type-C connectors would be used, considering it's pretty damn clear Type-A is here to stay for a long time.

A bit of a back-track from your previous statements, but that's okay, we'll just pretend no one else noticed that you were wrong ;)

Going back, I see that I inadvertently left out a set of words: ALL USB 3.1 devices that use it will be using it both at the host and device end.

Based on the information released by Foxconn and this image:

Vrggkq2.jpg

It was posted here the day it was announced. The purpose of Type C is to remove the multiple and specific type of cables from USB. Meaning no more Type A's and B's and Minis and Micros once everything moves over to Type C. One type of plug. One type of cable.

cool. Now we just have to wait an eternity for devices to catch up.

Where's my 10gbps flash drive ?

son of a bitch? i had just gotten to the point of realization that my motherboard was still good.

Need to make 10gb ethernet more popular now. Most people barely max out usb 2.0 as it is on standard hard drives. If they increased the power then thats good. If you connect more than 2 hard drives usually the power can get too low causing the hard drives to reconnect every second even with a powered usb hub. Thats just from my experience mostly.

Back