USB 3.0 Flash Drive for Swap File?

MinPins

Limp Gawd
I am considering adding a 16-64GB USB3.0 flash drive onto one of the connections on my MOBO using a USB 3.0 to 20-pin adapter and using it for the swap file (or else maybe "ready-boost"?). Maybe even as a backup for the OS.

Good idea?

Other components are an

• ASUS P8Z68 MOBO
  • i7-2600K
  • 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 RAM
  • 120GB Mushkin SATA III SSD for the Win7 64bit OS
  • Two Hitachi 3TB 7200RPM HDDs (in RAID1) for data.
Adapter:

81632.jpg

81631.jpg

I don't know if it will benefit your system since you already have a SSD.

There has been many threads about the Page File pro/cons having it enable.

I would say don't bother, just set a small amount(500MB min and max) of SSD or HDD space aside.

I on the other hand have the bare minimum enable for my 8GB, dual HDD system and I might just disable it all together.

Since you have 16GB and a SSD, it will probably be unnoticeable.
Like Ninjaturtle said just disable the Page file or make it really small.
I guess you could say using a usb thumb drive may save a little bit of wear on your SSD, but I don't think its worth it. You could also make a small ram drive to get the same effect, but again, I don't think there is any significant benefit here.

You have 16GBs of RAM. You'll barely use your swap if at all. Ready-Boost is only good for Vista and older computers with Windows 7. Ramdisk would be okay if you didn't have a SSD.

No point if you ask me.

Apparently some older apps or services still like to know there is a swapfile there whether it uses it or not.

If you have the ram then you can in most cases get away with a 128 - 256MB one. Photoshop may apply different requirements but not sure of the latest versions.

I do find it annoying that Windows/MS still keep harking back to the days of having 2xplus your ram set aside for a swapfile.

Not worth the money /effort. You're better off spending the money on more RAM. Pagefile space is good (and speedy pagefile space is also good) but more physical RAM will always be a better investment.

Maybe if you had some stuff laying around you didn't need. But not worth dropping money into.

On an SSD and 16GB of RAM? Not going to make a difference.

I am confused here, what is it you are really trying to do? Are you talking about the RST option available on the Z68 boards or are you referring to the Windows Page File. They are completely different things and neither one is going to be helped by the USB thumb drive. Nor is the Ready Boost going to benefit you if you are already using an SSD drive.

Also if you are thinking of using the RST with your hard drives, since you already have an SSD on your boot drive, not sure it will work. And if it did, anything less than 40GB for the cache wouldn't be as effective. I think you are fine as you are, I doubt you will see too much performance increase from the thumb drive.

Either disable the Swap/page file or leave it on the SSD as a very small size. With 16GB RAM, I would disable it and see if you have any issues with it that way

Back