US Senator Proposes a Ban on "Manipulative" Video Games

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by sknight, May 10, 2019.

1. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

Would that be required as part of a certification process for whenever a game comes out? Maybe per update released? Sounds expensive. "Certified Non-manipulative" make it golden like the licensed nintendo seal of approval.

alxlwson likes this.
  2. alxlwson

alxlwson You Know Where I Live

Not necessarily, but I imagine that any number of the child advocacy groups has more than one volunteer shrink on staff

3. atreidesgoldenpath

atreidesgoldenpath Limp Gawd

How is a loot box any different than a Vegas slot machine?

4. Auer

Auer Gawd

Yeah man just pull it out in time, no problem.

5. nilepez

nilepez [H]ardForum Junkie

you can't deposit your winnings in the bank., odds are probably unknown and no government body is verifying that they're doing what they claim.

tempertantrum likes this.
  6. atreidesgoldenpath

atreidesgoldenpath Limp Gawd

Sounds worse to me.

7. tempertantrum

tempertantrum Limp Gawd

I think you're forgetting a number of things. Not every parent has the time to understand all the ins and outs of phones and apps and app stores and app store payment, just like random construction workers probably don't understand all the ins and outs of the wear patterns, chemical makeups, and failure models on construction equipment tires. They still have to use them. So you have a regulatory body that *does* know about those things and makes sure the tires aren't leading to major problems. All it would take is having some kind of parental controls be *standard* on some apps, or made more obvious, so kids aren't just tapping into their parents accounts accidentally. Also, it's not just about credit cards, it's about the actual known vulnerabilities of the human mind, especially developing human minds, to psychological manipulation and addiction. I feel like you're just being daft about whether children deserve some kind of protections from predatory companies, and whether or not companies will target kids. We know they will, unless forced not to. Again, we know there's people who would physically enslave kids for profit, let alone through psychological manipulation.

I'm an educator (10 years in a the classroom, plus another 7 in research and collegiate education support) and I find it incredulous (and incredible) that people are so sure that *they* wouldn't get duped or manipulated, and only "stupid" people will get taken advantage of. The smarter people think they are and the better they think they are than "the rest," the more vulnerable they are. That includes you and me.

8. lcpiper

lcpiper [H]ardForum Junkie

So could a priest ...... They do it all the time