US Says North Korea “Directly Responsible” for “WannaCry” Ransomware Attack

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
White House homeland security adviser Tom Bossert said the United States believes North Korea was behind the "WannaCry" cyberattack earlier this year. The US has evidence for the claim, and the United Kingdom and Microsoft reached similar conclusions in their analyses of the attack, which plagued computers the world over in May, he wrote.

Bossert called the attack in which victims received ransom demands to unlock their computers "cowardly, costly and careless." "The consequences and repercussions of WannaCry were beyond economic," he wrote. "The malicious software hit computers in the UK's health-care sector particularly hard, compromising systems that perform critical work. These disruptions put lives at risk."

In before he who shall not be named is blamed for this? :D I wonder if it came for the NK government or just someone who was located in that country.

The enemy du jour is attacking!

Time to go a-liberating.

Quick! Get some military propaganda out to the sycophant-wire for the "real-news" websites!

My snotty prodding aside, there's a lot of evidence that it actually was them. North Korea be broke and need money yo.

I will preempt the disbelievers who regard North Korea as a state not capable of cyber warfare by reminding you all that North Korea has developed nuclear weapons and is nearly there in developing intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of reaching North America. Read this NYT editorial. Realize that despite North Korea's economic troubles, it is still a nation-state, and therefore has the resources to pursue these programs, and the essential need to utilize these programs for the survival of their state.

I will preempt the disbelievers who regard North Korea as a state not capable of cyber warfare by reminding you all that North Korea has developed nuclear weapons and is nearly there in developing intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of reaching North America. Read this NYT editorial. Realize that despite North Korea's economic troubles, it is still a nation-state, and therefore has the resources to pursue these programs, and the essential need to utilize these programs for the survival of their state.
Which is why we should preemptively wipe them off the face of the planet. Or completely and utterly destroy any thing that remotely allows them 20th century convenience. No lights, no clean water, nothing. Knock them back into the caveman era, well the couple hundred left after we continually carpet bomb them for a month, that is.

i guess NK won todays coin toss on the WHOSE TO BLAME game. maybe russsia gets the day off then

Which is why we should preemptively wipe them off the face of the planet. Or completely and utterly destroy any thing that remotely allows them 20th century convenience. No lights, no clean water, nothing. Knock them back into the caveman era, well the couple hundred left after we continually carpet bomb them for a month, that is.

This is quite possibly one of the most horrifying things I've ever had the misfortune of reading here. This isn't reddit or 4chan bud, take that extremist bullshit out of here.

NK is using attacks they found out in the wild already. To create a successful cyber attack unit, you not only need a successful spear fishing team running scripts, but also really skilled programmers that are good at testing defenses of known systems for new exploits. This requires a LARGE EDUCATED HIGH TECH workforce. Right now NK is so starved their average IQ is dropping because they don't have enough protein for their brains to develop properly.

Basically NK is a bunch of uneducated script kiddies. They don't have the resources for a proper campaign. Can they wreck havoc? Sure. Do I fear them as much as a nuke? Nope, not even close. They can be cut off from the worlds internet in seconds.

Developing a nuclear missile is a separate thing entirely.

This is quite possibly one of the most horrifying things I've ever had the misfortune of reading here. This isn't reddit or 4chan bud, take that extremist bullshit out of here.

We could ignore lil pork-chop for a long time. He was the little kid on the playground throwing tantrums for this and that shaking a little stick. But now he's holding a blunderbuss and the damage he can do is extreme. Given his past behavior, how long do you think it will take before he makes obscene demands?

The man is not rational. He executes prisoners with a pack of dogs on children's playgrounds to instill fear into others. The prisoners crime? Insulting the dear porkchop

He's worse than a mobster.

... and here I thought the worst thing the Koreas were responsible for was putting passwords on papercrafts.

Hey bro...as disgusting as it is it's US or THEM.

I'm a pacifist. I don't believe in violence, I don't think we as a society need violence, and I don't think that violence is the best way to solve a problem. But it is a way. And when the other one involved nearly has the ability to, in an instant, wipe out potentially millions of people and is just possibly crazy enough to do it...yeah...we need to act. Act now and fast and hard. We need to take them out. Dismantle all their shit.

Is the US government perfect? FUCK NO! But I'd rather it be some rag-tag North Koreans than people here.

We could ignore lil pork-chop for a long time. He was the little kid on the playground throwing tantrums for this and that shaking a little stick. But now he's holding a blunderbuss and the damage he can do is extreme. Given his past behavior, how long do you think it will take before he makes obscene demands?

The man is not rational. He executes prisoners with a pack of dogs on children's playgrounds to instill fear into others. The prisoners crime? Insulting the dear porkchop

It makes zero sense for the leader of North Korea to launch a nuclear attack. He has it really good right now. Even with being batshit insane he still understands that he only stands to lose if he started any type of war. His comfy cushy life would see a drastic change.

It makes zero sense for the leader of North Korea to launch a nuclear attack. He has it really good right now. Even with being batshit insane he still understands that he only stands to lose if he started any type of war. His comfy cushy life would see a drastic change.

I disagree. NK has consistently demonstrated crass disregard for other nations sovereignty (SK, Japan) and quite frankly doesn't give a shit if they think there is something to be achieved. Do you need a list of past and recent transgressions not nuclear related? They also keep trying to blackmail the world into more and more financial support without offering anything in return.

You can bet your ass he'll use nukes as a blackmail tactic. Past behavior proves this. Will he actually use them is another question.

Meanwhile Iran is looking at our actions very carefully. They are using this as a litmus test for their own ambitions including the elimination of Israel.

I disagree. NK has consistently demonstrated crass disregard for other nations sovereignty (SK, Japan) and quite frankly doesn't give a shit if they think there is something to be achieved. Do you need a list of past and recent transgressions not nuclear related?
Nuclear is different. If North Korea launched a nuclear attack it would be turned to glass, or the leadership would be destroyed. The leadership of NK is living the high life, they may talk a lot but they are not willing to risk their position in life ... very, very, few people are.

Nuclear is different. If North Korea launched a nuclear attack it would be turned to glass, or the leadership would be destroyed. The leadership of NK is living the high life, they may talk a lot but they are not willing to risk their position in life ... very, very, few people are.

I don't know about that. Are we chicken shits willing to stick our neck out for South Korea is they get attacked with nukes on the horizon?

Appeasement is NOT a solution. It has failed for over 24 years with NK. Clinton, Bush Jr, Obama all f'd it up. NK has done nothing but become more belligerent, aggressive, and powerful. NK still does NOT recognize SK as a valid country.

If you are looking for a historic example: Examine what happened to poor Poland during WW2, and the eastern block countries shortly thereafter.

Then you also have to look at the whole Iran angle issue. How will they take it?

I don't know about that. Are we chicken shits willing to stick our neck out for South Korea is they get attacked with nukes on the horizon?

Appeasement is NOT a solution. It has failed for over 24 years with NK. Clinton, Bush Jr, Obama all f'd it up. NK has done nothing but become more belligerent, aggressive, and powerful. NK still does NOT recognize SK as a valid country.

If you are looking for a historic example: Examine what happened to poor Poland during WW2, and the eastern block countries shortly thereafter.

Then you also have to look at the whole Iran angle issue. How will they take it?

It isn't appeasement that failed in regards to North Korea, but the US violating its given word and unilaterally reneging on its agreements with North Korea, and suddenly arbitrarily demanding more things from North Korea to keep the already-agreed deal in effect. That is singularly what caused North Korea to recommence its nuclear program.

Also, the indiscriminate mass fire-bombings the US did to North Korea in the 1950's, killing possibly over 1.5 million North Koreans, probably did a lot to make North Korea not have warm and fuzzy feelings towards the US.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/1...bing-campaign-created-todays-crisis-in-korea/

Like with Iraq, Libya, the birth of international terrorism, what happened to former Ukraine, and much of what has happened in Syria, the situation with North Korea is of the US' making.

It isn't appeasement that failed in regards to North Korea, but the US violating its given word and unilaterally reneging on its agreements with North Korea, and arbitrarily demand more things from North Korea to keep the already-agreed deal in effect. That is singularly what caused North Korea to recommence its nuclear program.

Also, the indiscriminate mass fire-bombings the US did to North Korea in the 1950's, killing possibly over 1.5 million North Koreans, probably did a lot to make North Korea not have warm and fuzzy feelings towards the US.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/1...bing-campaign-created-todays-crisis-in-korea/

Like with Iraq, the birth of international terrorism, what happened to former Ukraine, and much of what has happened in Syria, the situation with North Korea is of the US' making.

Jesus that is the stupidest thing I ever read. The only reason we reneged is because NK violated the agreements FIRST.

Here's how it has ALWAYS worked:

NK: Okay we want 10,000 tons of rice per month
US: Okay but you must stop you nuclear program
NK: Okay deal
<US sends aide>
NK: We want 20,000 tons of rice per month plus $20,000,000
US: No
NK: Okay all bets are off. Thanks for the 100,000 in rice you already sent us. We'll go back to making nuclear weapons now.

See the problem?

And there's a problem with your premise: The world OWES JACK SHIT to NK. We don't have to give them a damn thing. But if they threaten another nation (Japan, SK) we do have a right to slap their damn hand. That's what the UN is for and why the UN universally condemns NK with more and more sanctions.

There are plenty of countries which we submit aide to. We give more foreign aide than any country in the world. And guess what? Those countries we support are largely peaceful and non threatening to their neighbor states.

And NK has killed way more of it's own people through work camps and starvation than all of the Korean war. And that doesn't take into account the number of South Koreans harmed by NK during the Korean war. So that is all honesty a wash. BTW NK started that fight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus that is the stupidest thing I ever read. The only reason we reneged is because NK violated the agreements FIRST.

Here's how it has ALWAYS worked:

NK: Okay we want 10,000 tons of rice per month
US: Okay but you must stop you nuclear program
NK: Okay deal
<US sends aide>
NK: We want 20,000 tons of rice per month plus $20,000,000
US: No
NK: Okay all bets are off. Thanks for the 100,000 in rice you already sent us. We'll go back to making nuclear weapons now.

See the problem?

The world OWES JACK SHIT to NK.

And NK has killed way more of it's own people through work camps and starvation then any of the Korean war. And that doesn't take into account the number of South Koreans harmed by NK during the Korean war. So that is all honesty is a wash. BTW NK started that fight.

You clearly did not read your own post before submitting it, otherwise you would have to have had a different opening sentence.

Why do some people post out their asses without any understanding for the subject they assert themselves so arrogantly concerning? And yes, I'm talking about you.

Do some research next time before ranting your made up stories, and spare me the hubris.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agreed_Framework#Final_break_down_of_the_agreement

The US picked a fight with North Korea and then unilaterally ceased its part of the agreement over unproven allegations.

You clearly did not read your own post before submitting it, otherwise you would have to have a different opening sentence.

Why do some people post out their asses without any understanding for the subject they assert themselves so arrogantly concerning? And yes, I'm talking about you.

Do some research next time before ranting made up stories, and spare me the hubris.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agreed_Framework#Final_break_down_of_the_agreement

I did my research. And my statement stands.

But lets take your side, we are the asshole for not giving NK free stuff.

Is making a nuclear program in response to us telling NK "To go away" a reasonable option? NO!

We have never threatened north korea until they have threatened others. END OF STORY.

I guess you guys are forgetting the giant communist hat NK is wearing..... What the fuck do you think China would do if we attacked NK? They may not like NK, but they REALLY don't want to lose that buffer on their south border.

I'm glad you guys think we just send a couple nukes to wipe them out (and send fallout over China/SK/Japan etc.), but if you don't think that could EASILY escalate to WW 3 that's pretty naive....

I did my research. And my statement stands.

But lets take your side, we are the asshole for not giving NK free stuff.

Is making a nuclear program in response to us telling NK "To go away" a reasonable option? NO!

North Korea is a sovereign nation, and as a sovereign nation may choose its own military and defensive programs, and the US doesn't have a right to impose its imperialist designs on sovereign nations.

If the US wants North Korea to make a particular decision to limit its sovereign interests, then that would have to be propositioned in an agreement with North Korea - which was done.

Is North Korea ceasing its part of the agreement and pursuing a sovereign defence program including nuclear weapons after the US first ceased its part of the agreement understandable? Yes. And you don't get to judge a sovereign nation's sovereign decisions, because they don't owe anything to the US, apart from what they agreed to in a mutual agreement - which the US reneged upon, voiding the agreement, thereby meaning that North Korea doesn't owe the US its own part of that agreement.

Who are you to say it is unreasonable for North Korea to pursue means of self-defence in the face of increasingly aggressive actions (like pointlessly naming North Korea a part of Bush's "Axis of Evil", and many actions since then) and threats? That sounds entitled. If the US wanted North Korea's end of the agreement to remain in place, then it shouldn't have violated its own part of the agreement. The US' violation of the agreement harmed trust between their nations further, and made it further unlikely that North Korea would listen to the US in the future. And now here we are.

We have never threatened north korea until they have threatened others. END OF STORY.

Actually, the US has been unilaterally threatening North Korea quite a bit lately, and also did so under Obama, and under Bush Jr. Some of North Korea's recent missile tests have been done in direct response to threats uttered by Trump. And each threat that Trump utters, North Korea does another missile test, receives more feedback on the launch, and further refines their nuclear weapons systems.

I think a problem here is that you are under the misimpression that the US is an exceptional country, filled with exceptional people, and that other nations are obligated do what the US wants them to do without dissent, because the US is the US. Well, that's none of that is reality. The US is not an exceptional nation, and its people are not exceptional people. No sovereign nation is subject to the US, and no sovereign nation has to answer to the US for making its sovereign decisions - particularly ones intended to protect the sovereign nation from the US, which undisputedly is the most aggressive and hostile nation in the world.

And the world agrees.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2013/12/31/biggest-threat-world-peace-united-states
https://nypost.com/2014/01/05/us-is-the-greatest-threat-to-world-peace-poll/
http://russia-insider.com/en/military/global-poll-us-greatest-threat-peace-world/ri20613

Bvp7gjyCMAAtIbc.jpg:large

With the US' designs on Ukraine defeated, it looks like North Korea is possibly next on the USA's menu. Considering the history of US government running lie-campaigns against other nations before a planned attack, I think that Trump's allegations that North Korea was responsible for the WannaCry attack could be just that.

Gulf of Tonkin, Iraq WMDs, incubator babies, claims of Assad using chemical weapons, the USA's cold-war false flag scheme to sink a boat full of innocent Cuban refugees trying to reach the US in order to get the public to agree to war against the USSR... this is how the US operates: It lies and hypes propaganda to get the public on the side of evil actions, and then does those evil actions. And the US is, sadly, regularly successful in its evil designs, and evidenced by the fact that 72% of US citizens supported invading Iraq - which, of course, was an illegal and immoral action, built upon lies, and causing the deaths of around 1.5 million innocent Iraqis - which coincidentally is the estimated number of North Koreans the US killed by indiscriminate fire-bombing of North Korea.

Last edited:
I guess you guys are forgetting the giant communist hat NK is wearing..... What the fuck do you think China would do if we attacked NK? They may not like NK, but they REALLY don't want to lose that buffer on their south border.

I'm glad you guys think we just send a couple nukes to wipe them out (and send fallout over China/SK/Japan etc.), but if you don't think that could EASILY escalate to WW 3 that's pretty naive....

China views on North Korea are "You are an epic pain in our ass. We don't give a f about NK except for the cheap mushrooms and coal. Just keep NK people out of our country"
China doesn't want to deal with a refuge crisis, which is understandable. And China has stated is NK attacks first they are sitting back and watching the fireworks.

But the truth being told, China is still dependent on the US economy. If push came to shove, they realize their economy would be in ruins if we fold. Plus China holds a good amount of our national debt. It would be in their best interest to moderate the little brat to the north east.

I doubt we will nuke them. But I wouldn't rule out a conventional war as a possibility. We would only yank out the nukes if they did first.

If the US launches nukes at NK, and NK knows it, NK will launch nukes at South Korea and Japan, as well as the US mainland.

The mere talk of nuking North Korea, and also considering as a good idea invading North Korea or otherwise attacking it, is essentially stating that South Koreans and the Japanese are inconsequential, because they are the ones who will pay for US missteps. As such, I find bluster about what the US can, or should do to NK to be selfishly dismissive of huge numbers of innocent lives.

Last edited:
North Korea is a sovereign nation, and as a sovereign nation may choose its own military and defensive programs, and the US doesn't have a right to impose its imperialist designs on sovereign nations.

If the US wants North Korea to make a particular decision to limit its sovereign interests, then that would have to be propositioned in an agreement with North Korea - which was done.

Good point and we agree. The US does recognize NK as a sovereign state. We and the UN do NOT recognize their claim on other sovereign states. And the UN agreed long ago that the current nuclear nations are enough and why the developed nations of the world agreed to non proliferation. That includes China, AND Russia. The more countries have nukes, the more likely a war will be started by a madman. Too bad NK doesn't recognize that. And the UN agrees, NK is acting like a little shit. When you have the whole world looking at you and going "Stop being a shit" there comes a time you need to look at yourself and go, "Hmmm, maybe I am being a dick"

Lets look at our main little shithead in North Korea: Kim Jung-un. He sends tens of thousands to death in work camps. He executes many close to him on the slightest whim for no valid reason. He even puts people to death for insulting him or making a simple mistake. And the ways he does it are beyond brutal. He would qualify for war crimes against his own people. And I ask you, do you honestly think we are dealing with a sane and rational man that can be bargained with? He has to institute acts of terror against his own people, including children to feel safe with his power. Basically he has to intimidate people to maintain power. And he knows this. Why do you think he puts prisoners to death with wild dogs on children's playgrounds?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisons_in_North_Korea

And this is why he can't have nuclear weapons. He has proven himself a thug. And guess what? We aren't budging. As cruel as it sounds the NK people can starve till they overthrow Marie Antoinette. (A reference to the fact he is disconnected from his suffering people) And that won't be our fault. We don't owe anything to a country who threatens to destabilize the world. It will be his own fault because he failed to take care of them. He and his father sewed the seeds of starvation in NK. And we don't have to do a thing to let that happen.

And you are right, we are threatening NK lately. Why? Because they are being bigger dick heads. We didn't give a @#$@# about NK until they started threatening others.

Don't confuse getting rid of a mad dangerous tyrant as war mongering.

That still doesn't even slightly justify a statement that we should wipe an entire country off the face of the planet. Nor does it justify preemptive attacking. If he proves dumb enough to attack first, sure retaliate. However if we attack first we frankly do nothing but damage our position with the rest of the world because we are the aggressor.

That still doesn't even slightly justify a statement that we should wipe an entire country off the face of the planet. Nor does it justify preemptive attacking. If he proves dumb enough to attack first, sure retaliate. However if we attack first we frankly do nothing but damage our position with the rest of the world because we are the aggressor.

I don't think the NK people should be wiped out either. I don't think any nations people should suffer because of a few small leaders at the top. But Kim Jung-un is doing a fine job of killing his own people without our help.

The UN agreed to non proliferation of nuclear arms. That includes China and Russia. He's in violation of the UN. So it's not just us. Hence why there are worldwide sanctions again NK

Yeah... excluding the poorly researched links in discussion here (polling 66k people out of 7 billion), anti country propaganda and other nonsense.

The two Koreas have been divided since 1953, one actually grew drastically and contributes to the world.

The other is severely lagging behind...

Korean_Peninsula_at_night_from_space.jpg

I personally don’t feel like wiping out every North Korean citizen is the answer, but there is a lot of fat at the top that should be removed. I used to say for the sake of its citizens, now I am saying for the sake of stability in that region.

They also hid jimmie hoffa, killed john benet ramsay, and may have been the shooter on the grassy knoll.

In before he who shall not be named is blamed for this? :D I wonder if it came for the NK government or just someone who was located in that country.

Communist country, everyone is the government right?

Common people in Korea do not own computers.

Want to see something weird, sit up on the DMZ in March when mother Nature turns on Spring like it's a light switch. Look out over the DMZ into North Korea and see all the fields rough and unbroken from the winter following the last harvest. Then wake up the next morning and look out over the same fields now plowed and planted at night without any lights to see by, no tractors were heard by the night guards.

That shit will upset your calm my friend.

If the US launches nukes at NK, and NK knows it, NK will launch nukes at South Korea and Japan, as well as the US mainland.

The mere talk of nuking North Korea, and also considering as a good idea invading North Korea or otherwise attacking it, is essentially stating that South Koreans and the Japanese are inconsequential, because they are the ones who will pay for US missteps. As such, I find bluster about what the US can, or should do to NK to be selfishly dismissive of huge numbers of innocent lives.

I'll agree. There are no winners in a nuclear war.

But you have to look at it this way:
He launches a nuclear war he loses. His country will be glassed. We have hundreds of times as many weapons as his and they are much more powerful and accurate. And it wont be for a little while, it will be for 100's of years. There will be no population left to speak of. No north Korea to speak of.

Yes Japan and so and us will get some damn big bloody noses. We will survive. He won't
And let's say he goes a conventional war route. He loses there also. SK suffers the most here.

So let's go the last option passive world resistance. NK people starve. They may or may not revolt. KJU gets more desperate and saber rattles like a bully again. He might hope to buy time so he can hope this administration blows over for someone more passive, or he might hope his weapons will save him.

Again he has a blunderbuss. We have a gattling canon. It get ugly on both sides but he loses no matter what.

He knows this. We know this. He's crossed the line and there's no turning back now. He set us on this course. But I don't think he gives a fuck. Well guess what we don't knuckle under to madmen.

We're tired if the little shit threatening the world to prop up himself.

The enemy du jour is attacking!

Time to go a-liberating.

Quick! Get some military propaganda out to the sycophant-wire for the "real-news" websites!

My snotty prodding aside, there's a lot of evidence that it actually was them. North Korea be broke and need money yo.

Exactly brother, that's the "approved" modus operandi, it's how we have trained them, Act bad and we'll give you attention in the papers, a little extra trade concession, oh, and a few thousand metric tons of rice, whether they want to give it to starving citizens or not.

We've trained the dog well.

Exactly brother, that's the "approved" modus operandi, it's how we have trained them, Act bad and we'll give you attention in the papers, a little extra trade concession, oh, and a few thousand metric tons of rice, whether they want to give it to starving citizens or not.

We've trained the dog well.
We need to shoot the trainer before he does us any more favors. (Yes that's a joke. It's not aimed at anyone but policy).

There was a time we had a policy of not giving in to terrorist demands. Give a mouse a cookie and all that.

Back