US Navy’s Railgun to be Displayed in Public in February

TshirtBack2BackUSA.jpg

Honestly, from the comments I think we are missing the most important aspect (when it comes to cost)

Each railgun round has been estimated to cost ~25,000$
(source: http://defensetech.org/2014/01/16/navy-rail-gun-showing-promise/ )

On the surface, that seems expensive, however when you first consider the Navy's plan is to have railguns replace cruse missiles for short, medium, and some long range actions.
(source: http://breakingdefense.com/2014/01/...cruise-missiles-to-improve-pacific-firepower/ )

And considering the cost for every Tomahawk Cruse missile is ~1.41 million dollars, this is a monumental long term savings investment for the Navy.
(source: http://www.publicintegrity.org/2011/03/25/3769/million-dollar-weapon )

What does a rail gun have to do with global warming?

In the 25 years that it took to build, from theoretical conception / large unwieldy Haldron collider sized, Physicist's wet dream ( see Dyson in Terminator 2 ) / monster to something smaller and useable... well let's see what's happened in the past 25 years...global peak oil was ( imho ) reached in 2008 and runaway global warming was triggered prior to 2010.

Time and money well wasted?

What are you going to fight over, with this fancy Kinetic Energy weapon? I guess the dwindling water supplies? China's collection of rare earths?

I mean shit... the Federal Reserve is struggling to keep the American economy afloat. When the Fed tanks, it's going to make the 1930s depression look like a Sunday picnic.

There are alternatives to hegemony and building stupid shit that's obsolete, by the time it's finished:

https://www.thevenusproject.com/en/

but that requires conflict resolution and mediation or a much bigger vision. The Earth is about to go into catastrophic system failure / cardiac arrest.

http://www.filmsforaction.org/walloffilms/

In the 25 years that it took to build, from theoretical conception / large unwieldy Haldron collider sized, Physicist's wet dream ( see Dyson in Terminator 2 ) / monster to something smaller and useable... well let's see what's happened in the past 25 years...global peak oil was ( imho ) reached in 2008 and runaway global warming was triggered prior to 2010.

Time and money well wasted?

What are you going to fight over, with this fancy Kinetic Energy weapon? I guess the dwindling water supplies? China's collection of rare earths?

I mean shit... the Federal Reserve is struggling to keep the American economy afloat. When the Fed tanks, it's going to make the 1930s depression look like a Sunday picnic.

There are alternatives to hegemony and building stupid shit that's obsolete, by the time it's finished:

https://www.thevenusproject.com/en/

but that requires conflict resolution and mediation or a much bigger vision. The Earth is about to go into catastrophic system failure / cardiac arrest.

http://www.filmsforaction.org/walloffilms/

The earth is going to have a heart attack and a system failure?

So you basically have no idea what you're talking about.

The earth is going to have a heart attack and a system failure?

So you basically have no idea what you're talking about.

Well you didn't need to read that far into his rant to know that, I mean his claim that we reached peak oil production in 2008 despite the fact that worldwide oil production has increased significantly since 2008.

Does it come with a DPI zoom button, to ensure clean and smooth headshots from across the map?

It's a good thing we have a lot of freedoms otherwise we would not be able to have this discussion. Whether or not we have an over large military/budget is another discussion. I would like to point out that like it or not, our foreign policy has created a situation where a large number of our allies rely upon us not just to defend their sovereign territories, but their financial interests, along with ours. I think this has been, by a large extent, intentional.

So, we extend military and political influence outwards like we do now, tied to each other obviously, outside our borders. If we don't:
1) Our allies will either suffer a decline in their power or they will increased in power and independence. As will our non allies.
2) You cannot defend your borders while standing on them, military fact. Check with Napoleon and any other decent military expert. You cannot give your opponent freedom of maneuver while you stay tied to a spot. It is a fatal tactical error.
3) Current military's are developing quickly and with a focus on technology. The gap we have developed is shrinking. We either become friends with one of them, Russia, China, India, or start do what they tell us because it would not take long before they wouldn't bother to ask. We have followed this same rule for a long time, we did not make it and we will sure as hell suffer to it. It is the way things are.

I have been around the world a little bit, it is a terrible thing in many ways to carry a rifle in someone else's country, for almost any reason. Imagine it happening here, I would not like it very much. For that reason, I carry a rifle. I try to be honest with myself, we are bullies and it sucks, we should be smarter, I would like it if we backed off a good bit and were just wiser, but then I look at our politicians and realize they don't care and until they have to pay a very real personal price they will never care. So, as long as I can I will make myself available so my village is able to protect itself. If you think it can't happen, that we would never pay a price, that someone with the power and capability would never take what you hold dear I envy you. I am not so trusting. There are real threats, big ones. There are people who just want to watch the world burn, there are a lot of them. Neither of these are going away soon. We may have made some of them, we may have helped some grow, but if we stop being able to protect ourselves we will become a distant memory due to them. Just my opinion though. Glad I can voice mine and glad you can too.

The federal reserve is keeping the party on Wallstreet alive and when its time to pay the bill they will be in the Caymens and the taxpayer will be footing the bill.

Really, we give them money for next to free to invest so they don't have to invest their own. If planned to pay it back if things implode, why bother? Only one reason, they don't plan to pay it back.

Or giant robots with metal balls.
Would be nice if we can shift what we spend on the military towards paying off the country's debt.
Screw that, the military has tremendous strategic value to promoting US interests globally, which directly affects the economy and general prosperity and security of our citizens.

I'd much rather get all the Obama voting welfare rats to stop LIVING on public assistance, and use it as it was meant to be used, as a safety net if you fall down so you can climb back up the ladder rather than a comfortable hammock to sleep on.

This entitlement culture breeds resentment and these people and generally their children will never contribute anything to society, except for increasing the crime rate and overcrowding our prisons and being disruptive in our public schools. That's literally not only a ZERO return on investment, but in fact a negative one, so that's where you can save money and change attitudes.

Would be nice if we can shift what we spend on the military towards paying off the country's debt.

Yeah, who needs a military to protect our country from fringe lunatics and would-be despots when we can all be out of debt when we're taken over...

:rolleyes:

I approve of more judicious spending with regards to the military, but cutting funding to support other things has always bit us in the ass. every damn time.

The Fox news is strong with you

"The U.S. military budget is $756.4 billion for FY 2015. That makes military spending the second largest Federal government expenditure, after Social Security ($896 billion). Military spending is greater than Medicare ($529 billion), Medicaid ($331 billion), or the interest payment on the debt ($251). It's also more than the three next largest departments combined: Health and Human Services ($73.1 billion), Education ($68.6 billion) and Housing and Urban Development ($32.6 billion).

If all military spending could somehow be safely eliminated, there would be a budget surplus of $174.8 billion, instead of a $564 billion budget deficit."

Thank you for checkin in Mr. Un, but don't you have your own country to terrorize or some other movie studio to have hacked?

No worries, robots are cheaper than humans. They'll save the military budget but shortly thereafter become self-aware and enslave humanity.

Eliminating military spending ELIMINATES THE MILITARY..

How can you put safe in the same sentence as that is beyond me.

Lol, seriously.

Peace exists between mankind only through threat of war. That will never change, regardless of the shrill denials of human nature that progressives are so fond of. Some folks need to dig their heads out of the sand.

Between 2010 - 2013 the US has spent 4.7% (2010), 4.6% (2011), 4.2% (2012), 3.8% (2013) of it's budget vs. GDP (source: http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/MS.MIL.XPND.GD.ZS). For a the preeminent worlds super power, this is incredible low and considering the national debt is a budgetary $18T, but in reality is near $60T (All sectors), there is no way in the universe that cost shifting our military budget to paying off debt would even begin to have a significant impact.

Let's say you stopped funding military at $500B per year (approximate), functionally at $18T of debt, which would have to remain static, it would take you 36 years to get to zero. At $60T, it would take you 120 years. Uh, yeah, no.

Lol, seriously.

Peace exists between mankind only through threat of war. That will never change, regardless of the shrill denials of human nature that progressives are so fond of. Some folks need to dig their heads out of the sand.

Lol, peaceful co-existence. I'd love to see a fleet of prius' with COEXIST bumper sticker owners in the middle of the Syrian Civil war with ISIS get very far.

If no one can threaten us then no one can challenge our monetary status. $18 Trillion in debt is as good as infinite money. If no one can ever collect that debt then we can keep it going forever.

We will never pay off that debt. Our country will either crumble and it will be forgiven. Or we will annihilate those trying to collect and it will be forgiven.

Doesn't China own a ton of the U.S debt?

Cool. Will be nice to see it in action. Hopefully, it can eliminate a lot of the other missiles we use to save some money.

Humans are always building a bigger and better gun. Evolution of firepower. We've gone from muskets that can barely hit someone at 50 yards to smart bullets that can change course mid way down the range.

Back