US Military Scientists Are Building a Laser Cannon That Shoots Disembodied Voices

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The US military is working on a laser system that can shoot instructions and commands to small groups of people. Dubbed “Non-Lethal Laser Induced Plasma Effects (NL LIPE),” the project involves the interaction of two lasers, a femtosecond and nanolaser, the latter of which can create light and sounds as loud as 140 decibels.

A practical system could potentially replace a host of less-than-lethal systems American forces already have available to them. These include visible lasers that can temporarily blind or disorient individuals, so-called “acoustic hailing devices” that focus sound waves at long range to convey messages or pump out painfully loud noise, and microwave active denial system “pain rays” that can chase people away with an unbearable burning sensation.

Disembodied voices? So we can be further subdued after we are killed and become a ghost or spirit?

The actual voice command prototype doesn't start until around 5:45 into the video so it's easily missed by the nonsensical first 5 minutes. It seems to be recreating static pitches similar to what you might hear augmented in a science fiction movie dealing with space and aliens. I'm not quite sure what the practical use for this would be considering our current audio technology, but you have to find some reason to keep the funds flowing, regardless of practial use.

My doctors tell me that the voices I hear are all in my head, so I am against any laser that shoots disembodied voices. Gonna stock up on tin foil and call my senator.

GraciousWigglyCaudata-size_restricted.gif

Get this working right and I would bet you could convince half the world you are God.

Loud, painful, paint peeling voices that work from long distances? Shit, all they need is my downstairs neighbor. She yells and screams at her boyfriend and dogs almost every day. It's intense.

Ltb5RrKCb5Q

Only the first few second are really relevant, but hell didn wanna cheat you on the rest

We all know that, once this is refined, it will only ever be used on friendlies.

"GET YOUR FINGER OUT OF YOUR NOSE, PRIVATE!"

I swear I seen a sci-fi movie recently about this... like, seriously.

Despite the movie not really being similar at all I still somehow knew what movie you were referencing before even seeing the edit. Weird.

140 dB will damage hearing if the sound is not already loud when they deploy it. Non-lethal but not Non-maiming.

They've been working on this for many years. Knew a tech in this program about 4-5 years ago and they were doing mid air plasmas with 50kW lasers, probably the start of this. Pretty fun.

I've also made sounds with lasers, due to scanning with high powered systems. It's quite an uncanny buzzing, cracking and zapping sound. You need about 20-30W total power, good beam quality and a shitload of blue helps to get enough energy, darker surfaces too. This is not pulsed laser either, CW. Different approach to this system and I wonder if they know about it..
What I find weird is they give away so much info. I could re-create this system myself with the right lasers and budget, so I guess they have a far better system out there ;)

Back