US Lifts Ban on China’s ZTE after $1.4 Billion Penalty

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
ZTE is now effectively back in business, following its payment of $892 million in penalties and placement of $400 million in escrow at a US bank. American firms may now sell products to the telecommunications giant again, ending what was supposed to be a seven-year ban sparked by the company’s selling of American technology to Iran and North Korea.

Removing the ban on ZTE was a key Chinese government demand amid escalating tensions between the world’s two largest economies. While those talks have stalled since the last high-level meeting in June, the U.S. and China have indicated their willingness to go back to the negotiating table. Neither is saying exactly what that would take.

For all the talk about China, and state companies.. we do the same shit constantly.. so of course china will move to self reliance.. it the logical thing to do.

For all the talk about China, and state companies.. we do the same shit constantly..

Post your proof here ... I'll wait. Please post link(s) to reports, etc you based your comment on. Thanks ...

ZTE is now effectively back in business, following its payment of $892 million in penalties and placement of $400 million in escrow at a US bank. American firms may now sell products to the telecommunications giant again, ending what was supposed to be a seven-year ban sparked by the company’s selling of American technology to Iran and North Korea.

Removing the ban on ZTE was a key Chinese government demand amid escalating tensions between the world’s two largest economies. While those talks have stalled since the last high-level meeting in June, the U.S. and China have indicated their willingness to go back to the negotiating table. Neither is saying exactly what that would take.

I bet they wont do that again........

Cause we know what happens when US bans companies from buying from them.
it sparks a industry in another country which starts to dominate the market in entirety which is exactly the reason why US got into the situation they're in.

History shows blockades are something that backfires.

Post your proof here ... I'll wait. Please post link(s) to reports, etc you based your comment on. Thanks ...
?? Its right there in the situation.. we fined them, then blocked them from buying from us companies... Same as we don't want Russia to work with ourr companies to develop oil and shit... We are not a reliable partner, and have now abused our position ( i mean propably 2o 3 decades of this ?).. don't get me wrong, i get it, i get sanctions here and there.. but now we gone sanctions crazy and we do shit like we did to ZTE no problem, we seem to saction countries on a whim..... Its the exact same shit we fear other countries will do with their ' state controlled' companies... At least let not talk crap when another country chooses to move on away from us at all costs.. its what you need to do when 'the biggest' economy is so prone to use ecomomic attacks so readily. Btw, no i am not thinking its a trump thing.. its longer than that, and if anything it intensified under Obama... This ZTE i think was under Obama... In fairness to both, not everything is dependent on the president obviously.

All the countries in the world have espionage, not just political. Of course the U.S. does stuff, but that isn't always talked about here.

Really? American companies steal intellectual property from China and then sells it to rogue states that are sanctioned?

Really?

REALLY?
Well.. i am sure we steal ip, and i am sure its gets laundered and passed to big companies.... This shit its not going to be in a cnn investigates episode under any condition.. but its its only logical to do so.. lets no bullshit ourselves here.
But, i wasn't talking about that.. and this ZTE shit is more about them selling products to Iran .. I think it was cellphones... With the magical american chips in them... Ive never read about this being about IP or some shit.

For all the talk about China, and state companies.. we do the same shit constantly

that's what you said in response to what the issue was with ZTE which was:

" it pleaded guilty last year to illegally shipping US equipment to Iran and North Korea."

So where is your proof that the USA was caught ILLEGALLY shipping forbidden products to Countries under sanctions by the International body?

Well.. i am sure we steal ip, and i am sure its gets laundered and passed to big companies.... This shit its not going to be in a cnn investigates episode under any condition.. but its its only logical to do so.. lets no bullshit ourselves here.
But, i wasn't talking about that.. and this ZTE shit is more about them selling products to Iran .. I think it was cellphones... With the magical american chips in them... Ive never read about this being about IP or some shit.

You are so wrong it is funny. Unlike China, the United States does not sanction IP theft from other countries. However, as we are heading into a time where the US may no longer be the technology leader, maybe we should start stealing advanced technology. As it is, we spend billions in advanced R&D, and then China steals it.

" it pleaded guilty last year to illegally shipping US equipment to Iran and North Korea."

So where is your proof that the USA was caught ILLEGALLY shipping forbidden products to Countries under sanctions by the International body?
Well there is that Iran contra shit.. but you are right, i was mixing and matching thoughts.. i was thinking us using companies as political tools/ agents and crap like that.
But we might have well be shipping illegally crap everywhere too, its not like we are going to comply with our " enemies" request either.. so the question would be illegally according to whom? Un? With our veto, not much chance of an agreement there in favor of ''enemies" ... So yeah. All that is in flux though.. our position is weaker in my understanding anyway.. i hope it turns into a positive thing for us actually.

You are so wrong it is funny. Unlike China, the United States does not sanction IP theft from other countries. However, as we are heading into a time where the US may no longer be the technology leader, maybe we should start stealing advanced technology. As it is, we spend billions in advanced R&D, and then China steals it.
Yes.. up until the other day, we didn't spy into our own citizens.. until snowden you were a tin foil hat asshole... Then after snowden it was well.. ahh... You know... Of course EVERYONE knows this was done... I mean come on! Jeez, it has to be done to keep everyone safe... EYERYONE knows this!.

Well there is that Iran contra shit.. but you are right, i was mixing and matching thoughts.. i was thinking us using companies as political tools/ agents and crap like that.
But we might have well be shipping illegally crap everywhere too, its not like we are going to comply with our " enemies" request either.. so the question would be illegally according to whom? Un? With our veto, not much chance of an agreement there in favor of ''enemies" ... So yeah. All that is in flux though.. our position is weaker in my understanding anyway.. i hope it turns into a positive thing for us actually.
Well i am sure we are probably trying to steal Chinese military laser tech ( they seem more advanced).. if we are not.. wtf am i paying taxes for.

I have very mixed feelings about this. I kind of liked the fact that I am using a contraband phone.

For all the talk about China, and state companies.. we do the same shit constantly.. so of course china will move to self reliance.. it the logical thing to do.

Wut? How do we do the same thing? What technologies from other countries have been copied and produced in the US at lower costs (from cheap labor)?

Oh right, nothing. Because our labor isn't cheap, and we are typically the one who creates the intellectual property.

Yes.. up until the other day, we didn't spy into our own citizens.. until snowden you were a tin foil hat asshole... Then after snowden it was well.. ahh... You know... Of course EVERYONE knows this was done... I mean come on! Jeez, it has to be done to keep everyone safe... EYERYONE knows this!.

How old are you, and what qualifies you opinions?

All the countries in the world have espionage, not just political. Of course the U.S. does stuff, but that isn't always talked about here.
WHAT?

This is news to me, I thought the NSA/CIA are here to protect my data and have me waterboarded if they think I need the diversion. :oops:

This is a mistake; the thought was this would get China to concede to Us trade demands but they’ve done no such thing, DPRK is walking back it’s agreements, and China continues to behave badly on the IP/trade secret front.

The US should embargo semi mfg equipment and GPU tech, instantly wiping out their fledgling tech and semi industry and drastically inhibiting their progress with AI.

This is a mistake; the thought was this would get China to concede to Us trade demands but they’ve done no such thing, DPRK is walking back it’s agreements, and China continues to behave badly on the IP/trade secret front.

The US should embargo semi mfg equipment and GPU tech, instantly wiping out their fledgling tech and semi industry and drastically inhibiting their progress with AI.

and that'll get us where? China is where we buy our shit from. Bet you're loving your computer you're using.

oh, sorry ... thought I hit the link in my Bookmark Bar for the Fox News Forum page

and that'll get us where? China is where we buy our shit from. Bet you're loving your computer you're using.
I don't follow your point; my suggestion does not affect China's exports to the US. This is about getting China to play fairly, not about you getting to upgrade your gear for less money. Short term pain for longer term prosperity. Read about why China lacks innovation and how a third of their Ph.D candidates admit to plagiarizing and falsifying data - that's what will happen elsewhere in the world should IP theft and coercion continue to be not only allowed but state sponsored.

oh, sorry ... thought I hit the link in my Bookmark Bar for the Fox News Forum page
Low energy reply, nothing of value, sad!

Google this little thing called ''air America", or anything else in the CIAs long list of corrupt endeavors. Maybe not always selling sanctioned goods, but the US has a very unclean history when it comes to illegal acts in other countries.

More in line with the actual article, by reversing the sanctions for a mere $1 billion and change, the US has shown itself to neither care about nor enforce the rule of law.

More in line with the actual article, by reversing the sanctions for a mere $1 billion and change, the US has shown itself to neither care about nor enforce the rule of law.

and what happens to the money they have paid in fines? where does it go?

Great. Now where's the fuckin' Oreo update for my Axon 7 that this whole thing has delayed?

and what happens to the money they have paid in fines? where does it go?
I'd imagine either to the company whose product was mishandled, or to the US deficit, or both. Maybe a portion goes to whichever body determined they were doing something illegal.

I'd imagine either to the company whose product was mishandled, or to the US deficit, or both. Maybe a portion goes to whichever body determined they were doing something illegal.
towards $10,000 toilet seat covers

No, we have intellectual property sharing agreements that would actually be enforced, though. The company would lose its ass if they got caught without having to call in the government. We also have little interest in selling technology to said bad actors.

Back