US is the World’s Biggest Video Game Market

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
USA! USA! USA! 165 Million Americans managed to spend roughly $25 Billion on games and related equipment in 2011, more than any other country in the world, making them the number one gaming community on the planet.

The study, which surveyed 6000 people in each of five countries and was conducted with the help of Ipsos nMediaCT, found that nearly 70 percent of Americans, around 165 million people, play video games.

I was under the impression that this was well known.

Having said that, I do have to wonder how a projected Federalized EU would compare in terms of sales.

Koreans are still better at Starcraft even though they have that crazy cron jong ill jr guy in charge.

Not surprising givin our population and love for recreation and entertainment. Good for US :)

I'm glad to be part of the gaming community providing useful information to America's awesome gamers.

Koreans are still better at Starcraft even though they have that crazy cron jong ill jr guy in charge.
At least we continue maintain the reputation for not knowing geography. :rolleyes:

I'm willing to bet that half pf the 25 billion is web and mobile games. :(

At least we continue maintain the reputation for not knowing geography. :rolleyes:

I'm willing to bet that half pf the 25 billion is web and mobile games. :(

Starcraft = Korea...don't roll your eyes at me.

Wait, is it Japan that's all crazed about Starcraft? Did I get that wrong?

I think 6000 is too small for the US. Also most Ipsos surveys are online that I know of, in that case it would be 70% of American Internet users, not Americans.

Starcraft = Korea...don't roll your eyes at me.

Wait, is it Japan that's all crazed about Starcraft? Did I get that wrong?

I think his point was that it is most likely South Koreans that you are worried about playing video games seeing as the North Koreans live in an oppressive fascist state, where Kim Jong Un is their dictator. If the accounts that I have heard from people serving over in South Korea are correct, the North Koreans don't have a hell of a lot of technological infrastructure to speak of and what little they do have is securely tied up developing military equipment.

Yeah SC is owned by S Korea.. Those bastards will rush you with 100 lings before you have a chance to make a marine..

I think his point was that it is most likely South Koreans that you are worried about playing video games seeing as the North Koreans live in an oppressive fascist state, where Kim Jong Un is their dictator. If the accounts that I have heard from people serving over in South Korea are correct, the North Koreans don't have a hell of a lot of technological infrastructure to speak of and what little they do have is securely tied up developing military equipment.

Oh..well okay. So North Korea is a lot like New Mexico, Texas, and that one swampy state that has the Mardi Gras in it...pretty much low tech.

It's just about the only thing we're good at these days... unfortunately.
That's not true, we are good at three things:

1) Worldwide mega-corporations
2) Military conquest
3) Mass consumption

Name any other country that has as many huge companies headquartered in their country, has a more powerful military projection capability, or consumes more per capita. :p

Credit where credit is due!!!

Oh..well okay. So North Korea is a lot like New Mexico, Texas, and that one swampy state that has the Mardi Gras in it...pretty much low tech.

I assuming this is sarcasm but if not:

It is an entirely different country. I doubt there are many, if any, video game sales in North Korea. The general population is more concerned about not starving to death rather than acquiring entertainment devices.

north_korea.png

south_korea.png

Well, spending more on games, when you are the largest first world country in the world, doesn't really count. In case anyone out there doesn't understand how the world works, first world countries pay through the ass for everything. So that isn't a good metric. Actual unit sales is far better then $$ sold. About %15 of the worlds population would ever be able to buy a $50 (USD) game.
This is the same system the media plays with hollywood movies. Most expensive/Biggest box-office ever. Always a new winner because of something called inflation. It cost $4.00 to see E.T back in the day. Costs $13 for a flick today. So what are the odds of surpassing the highest grossing film ever? Pretty fucking good, right?
So congrats US of A, in spending more on video games that sell for %20 of what you paid in most of the rest of the world :)

You forgot:
Gun related murder
Pollution
Obesity
Road accidents/death
Drugs
You haven't traveled much.

Visit some "developing" countries and you can see what a toxic dump zone many are, and heck in some parts of China its hard to just breathe (even LA has better air quality than just about any big city in China).

When it comes to drugs, no chance in hell. There is very little domestic drug manufacturing, whereas its a good portion of Afghanistan's GDP, and we all know where cocaine is made South of the border. Even when it comes to consumption, Russia has us beat big time.

For road accidents, again no chance. The stereotype about asian drivers is based in reality. Every country I've been to in SE Asia is a warzone on the roads. Spend ten minutes watching videos on youtube for India traffic for example. When visiting Thailand, it was even one of the first thing their "farang cops" warn you is about how many foreigners a year get killed because they don't realize that cars will frequently race the wrong way down one way streets and crosswalks are meaningless.

For gun related murder, well, that's a yes and a no. If you're an average white schmuck living in the suburbs, the chance of you being shot is pretty much non-existent. But we have so many gang-bangers in the ghettos of Detroit and what not that shoot each other on a regular basis, screwing up the national statistics. I certainly feel a HELL of a lot safer in even the shadiest parts of Dallas than Mexico City, Caracas, Baghdad, Chechnya, Rio, and more.

True about the fatties, but we have to be tied with Mexico and pretty much all of SE Asia by now (I have never in my life met a normal weight islander over 30 years old, heh).

Visit some "developing" countries and you can see what a toxic dump zone many are, and heck in some parts of China its hard to just breathe (even LA has better air quality than just about any big city in China).

When it comes to drugs, no chance in hell. There is very little domestic drug manufacturing, whereas its a good portion of Afghanistan's GDP, and we all know where cocaine is made South of the border. Even when it comes to consumption, Russia has us beat big time.

For road accidents, again no chance. The stereotype about asian drivers is based in reality. Every country I've been to in SE Asia is a warzone on the roads. Spend ten minutes watching videos on youtube for India traffic for example. When visiting Thailand, it was even one of the first thing their "farang cops" warn you is about how many foreigners a year get killed because they don't realize that cars will frequently race the wrong way down one way streets and crosswalks are meaningless.

For gun related murder, well, that's a yes and a no. If you're an average white schmuck living in the suburbs, the chance of you being shot is pretty much non-existent. But we have so many gang-bangers in the ghettos of Detroit and what not that shoot each other on a regular basis, screwing up the national statistics. I certainly feel a HELL of a lot safer in even the shadiest parts of Dallas than Mexico City, Caracas, Baghdad, Chechnya, Rio, and more.

True about the fatties, but we have to be tied with Mexico and pretty much all of SE Asia by now (I have never in my life met a normal weight islander over 30 years old, heh).

How about not comparing apples and oranges?
USA is a western industrialised country, why not compare it with other western industrialised country and not a third world developing country.

Drugs, you have a huge drug problem in USA, not manufacturing but use, and with that all other problems that follow.

Gun related murder. USA got more than the whole western world...combined.

Road accidents. More than 3 times what we have (Sweden), more than twice of Europe combined.

Pollution, granted USA is not worst, that place go to China with 21.5% of the world pollution but USA is a close second with 20% Russia takes third place with 5%.
Yes that is right, USA spew out 4 times or more than any other country in the world except for China.

How about not comparing apples and oranges?
USA is a western industrialised country, why not compare it with other western industrialised country and not a third world developing country.

Drugs, you have a huge drug problem in USA, not manufacturing but use, and with that all other problems that follow.

Gun related murder. USA got more than the whole western world...combined.

Road accidents. More than 3 times what we have (Sweden), more than twice of Europe combined.

Pollution, granted USA is not worst, that place go to China with 21.5% of the world pollution but USA is a close second with 20% Russia takes third place with 5%.
Yes that is right, USA spew out 4 times or more than any other country in the world except for China.

Well that's not apples to oranges either. The size of the U.S, dwarfs the size of any European country, save Russia. You would have to combine multiple European countries to accurately compare to the U.S.

Edit from above ^ Well that's not apples to oranges either saying just Sweden like it means anything. The size of the U.S, dwarfs the size of any European country, save Russia. You would have to combine multiple European countries to accurately compare to the U.S. as you did afterward

Well that's not apples to oranges either. The size of the U.S, dwarfs the size of any European country, save Russia. You would have to combine multiple European countries to accurately compare to the U.S.

Gun related deaths and road accidents are both rates per capita. If you consider pollution per capita as well, then US still takes the lead. Also US has the highest incarceration rate.

So there's a few things to be proud of there :D I'm just lashing out because Australia doesn't rank the highest in anything of the sort :( Except Kangaroos, Koalas, Platypus and Wombats, pretty sure we have more of those per square mile than any other place.

Also US has the highest incarceration rate.
You won't get any argument from me that our prison system is fucked up. But that's because of the privatization of prisons and people get rich the fuller prisons are.

That's only an average of 15$ a person. Was expecting higher.

Edit from above ^ Well that's not apples to oranges either saying just Sweden like it means anything. The size of the U.S, dwarfs the size of any European country, save Russia. You would have to combine multiple European countries to accurately compare to the U.S. as you did afterward

Like Tudz said, number are by capita as is the standard whit statistics, not by how many people a country have, and if you want to talk population there's over 700 million living in Europe.

That's only an average of 15$ a person. Was expecting higher.

Check your numbers again, it works out to ~$151.

This, I can't see all that surprising. Of course it's more, cause more people in the US drive than Europe. There are almost 200 million US drivers out there, compared to how many in Europe?

It's also cheaper to own and drive a vehicle in the states, so not only are there more drivers. They drive more frequently. Simply cause our public transportation is crap.

This, I can't see all that surprising. Of course it's more, cause more people in the US drive than Europe. There are almost 200 million US drivers out there, compared to how many in Europe?

It's also cheaper to own and drive a vehicle in the states, so not only are there more drivers. They drive more frequently. Simply cause our public transportation is crap.

Calling the public transportation in the US is a disservice to the word crap. ;)

As much as I'd like to blame Steam sales for that; pretty sure it's most likely web based/mobile games.

Exactly. I live in Brazil. Come here and I doubt anyone would have the nerve to talk badly about the USA or any developed country for that matter.

Americans still consume lots and lots of drugs. But that can be said about a lot of countries.

Again, look at Brazil's statistics about road accidents. It's insane.

Exactly. I see people saying that America needs to ban guns. In Brazil guns are banned, that means the bad guys get them anyway and the good ones are left defenseless. Don't fall for that trap.

Back