US Air Force Buying Special Drone-Snagging Shotgun Shells

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I was going to ask why we are going through such extravagant means of developing or acquiring drone-specific weaponry, but apparently, it’s hard to nail a drone even with a trusty long-range rifle. They say that shotguns work the best, and one company has made shells that form a net when fired. Cool, now people can sue after getting hit by metal nets dropping out of the sky.

Compared to other dedicated anti-drone weapons, the SkyNet Mi-5 is relatively simple. Each shell contains five metal segments, each connected by a high-strength cord to a central point. “The five tethered segments separate with centrifugal force and create a five foot wide ‘capture net’ to effectively trap the drone’s propellers causing it to fail,” ALS says on its website. The Air Force said it will fire the projectiles from its standard Remington Model 870 shotguns. For the cartridge to work properly, Airmen will need to install “choke tube” with rifling to the gun’s muzzle to get SkyNet spinning. The contract options also included a possibility of purchasing 100 of these add-on devices.

I guess it's better than buckshot (for safety). But I'm assuming this is anti-drone defense, in a warzone. so that wouldn't come into play. I'm not seeing the effective range of this net, either

This is for around any US military installation, you are not even suppose to photograph the base without permission, let alone a drone flying around it looking at operations of the base, especially towards the flightline. If someone is to get hit with this, then they were some where they shouldn't have been.

I guess it's better than buckshot (for safety). But I'm assuming this is anti-drone defense, in a warzone. so that wouldn't come into play. I'm not seeing the effective range of this net, either

Yeah, I have read stories about ISIS using modified small consumer drones to drop improvised explosives on Iraqi forces.

I'd imagine the range not being as good as with even a buckshot round, but it's probably pretty tough to hit an erratically moving drone at range anyway.

I figure that some #9 shot will make a decent close in anti-drone defense round and it doesn't need a special choke. Effective going up, mostly harmless coming back down.

Not sure why anyone would think buckshot over birdshot for a flying object. Use shot designed to kill a deer for a drone, overkill I think.

But a net sounds pretty week. The drag through the air will significantly effect it's range and I've been hit by birdshot from a hundred yards and it stings but it don't draw blood, chance of serious injury is low.

Unless good old #6 shot won't take down a drone then I see no reason at all to develop anything.

i kinda felt like trying it on some human fool just for kicks when i saw the video :p

*Edit* I missed that this was the air force. My comments are regarding citizens.

This is a really stupid invention. FYI, shooting drones out of the sky, even over your own property, is extremely illegal and a federal felony.

You are allowed to use things like water hoses to take them down though.

Last edited:
This is a really stupid invention. FYI, shooting drones out of the sky, even over your own property, is extremely illegal and a federal felony.

You are allowed to use things like water hoses to take them down though.

Save your money, don't go to law school (y)

US Air Force Buying................................

They can bomb cities, put a Hellfire up your ass, but you don't think they can shoot down a drone with a shotgun ?

Save your money, don't go to law school (y)

US Air Force Buying................................

They can bomb cities, put a Hellfire up your ass, but you don't think they can shoot down a drone with a shotgun ?
Yeah I missed that part. There was stories in here before about citizens shooting down drones.

Yeah I missed that part. There was stories in here before about citizens shooting down drones.

I remember them, and you are right, FFA has said it's illegal to shoot them down. But who's doing the shooting and where it's being done matters.

Back