US Aims to Bring Chip Manufacturing Industry Back to Its Soil

erek

[H]F Junkie
"The US Senate and House of Representatives have recently started converging around a bill that would pour taxpayer money into domestic chip production, laying a framework for $25bn worth of direct incentives to stimulate investment in manufacturing capacity, along with advanced research. This plan has been eagerly supported by Texas Republican John Cornyn and New York Democrat Chuck Schumer - representatives of two of the US states with the highest silicon manufacturing rates. However, it's expected that incentives covering some 20% to 30% of the total cost of any new fab and development investment are required to make the US a worthwhile consideration against other, more established countries with higher incentives, existing support logistics and infrastructure, and cheaper labor."

https://www.techpowerup.com/270720/us-aims-to-bring-chip-manufacturing-industry-back-to-its-soil

I am not sure, if labor costs make a difference in such a capital heavy industry !?

probably not.

Also last I checked majority of the research into materials and nanotechnology is still done by American universities. Probably means it could be cheaper for the US in general? Dunno.

This has to be a physical security decision at its core. A lot of this stuff went overseas due to environmental regulations driving up costs in the first place, but that dumped a ton of IP into foreign hands.

I am not sure, if labor costs make a difference in such a capital heavy industry !?

It mattered enough the last time around to outsource low skill assembly steps to low cost countries halfway around the world from where our fabs are.

We already have Intel and GF fabs here. The problem isnt that we dont have fabs for chip production, it is that the companies running the ones here are doing a terrible job. That is the issue that needs fixing, not building more expensive buildings.

No it doesn't but there's such a fixation on this point by wallstreet because it's the only part of a business most stockholders sort of understand.

Would be easier to export about an inch of US soil to lay over the fab site after excavation and before laying the foundation. Tada, built on US soil.

TSMC has about 50k employees.
While not a paltry number at all, bringing that amount of "work" back to the U.S. would not have any significant economical impact.

Likely that it's a security related issue as mentioned above. Pretty sure some guy who golfs a lot will take full credit for it as well.(if it works out)

Just don't put that Intel guy that got fired in charge of domestic manufacturing or else we'll all be stuck at 14nm forever.

Just don't put that Intel guy that got fired in charge of domestic manufacturing or else we'll all be stuck at 14nm forever.
Murthy Renduchintala came in after 10nm design goals had already been set in stone and a year before finished products were supposed to be shipping. The guy can hardly be blamed for something set by those who came before him.

Back