Urgent Power Supply Help :)

SMumps

n00b
Hey all

I just recently purchased a Dell Desktop (that awesome deal on the dimension 9200).

Here are my system specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6400 (2.13GHz,1066FSB) with 2MB cache
2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
Dell USB Keyboard
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
80GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)

The problem (or maybe not) is that it comes with a 375 watt PSU. Is that going to be enough? I do plan on playing some hungry games (Oblivion, F.E.A.R) and probably will OC the 7900.

If it's not enough, could someone rec one to me? I was reading how Dell doesnt follow the industry standards for PSU, but I think that might have ended around 2000. Wasnt sure.

Last thing! A forum member was offering a "Generic 420watt psu mounted in Antec psu case" for something well in my budget. Assuming I do need a better PSU, and assuming Dell allows non-dell-only PSUs, would this work for me?

Thanks so much for the help.

If it isn't enough won't you still have a Dell warranty to get it replaced?

Unless you are adding or upgrading parts, the included Dell PSU should be fine &
if it is not, then it becomes a Dell warranty issue.

Save you warranty & peace of mind, let Dell worry about it! ;)

davidhammock200 said:
Unless you are adding or upgrading parts, the included Dell PSU should be fine &
if it is not, then it becomes a Dell warranty issue.

Save you warranty & peace of mind, let Dell worry about it! ;)

QFT

With the volume Dell deals with, they wouldn't put in a PSU that couldn't handle the system...that would be shooting themselves in the foot.

It should do it no problem. Dell has all the de-rating curves, calculations, and can put in a power supply that will get the job done with little to spare, unlike some of us who have power supplies which are 2-3x what we really need ;) (okay so I admitted it.)

Back