URGENT: Please tell me that for $300 Monster Diamond Tears is not the Best headphone!

SpeedyVV

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, my sister went out and bought the Monster Diamond Tears headphones.

They are around $300. see here; http://www.monstercable.com/headphones/diamondtears/product.asp

Whe she showed me the box and I saw Monster, I went OH NO!

I looked online and the reviews say:

The bottom line: The Monster Diamond Tears Edge On-Ear Headphones may not be a gem of a pair for the price, but for a fashion statement they actually sound good.

Additionally, she said in the store they sounded amazing compared to other she tried, and the fit was perfect for her.

So should I just tell her "sorry, I was wrong, they are actually good", or should I propose something else for around the same price range? She only likes on-ears.

Please help, cause she is about to open the box! :(

LOL, Monster makes headphones? It seems that you know the answer to your own question but are looking for permission to lie to her. :)

Not all Monster products are bad - most are not bad in fact. But they are typically overpriced.

If I were buying headphones again, I'd still buy what I have now, Beyerdynamic DT990s, not these. However without some measurements, you'll need to find people here who have tried these and compared them to other products for our input to mean much.

P.S. "fashion statement"? They are fugly. Absolutely hideous.

Last edited:
Yes, it's not about the absolute performance of an item, it's about its performance per $. That's where Bose and Monster fail miserably to an educated consumer in this industry.

Vmoda is certainly a better sounding and higher quality headphone.

Monster is overpriced. They might look good but the sound quality is probably around what you can get for $50.

? can she afford the $300 (apparently she can?)

sometimes getting what you want matters as much as getting the best bang for buck and all... she tried out some other stuff and likes these it sounds like? I guess you could try to get her to go with you to guitar center and listen to some other stuff (assuming there is a guitar center near you??)

or.... u know if she tried the other stuff available and bb and is stoked on these... maybe no point raining on her parade.. maybe just bite yo' lip and let her enjoy them...??

I would be inclined to just stand down and let her like what she likes?

? can she afford the $300 (apparently she can?)

sometimes getting what you want matters as much as getting the best bang for buck and all... she tried out some other stuff and likes these it sounds like? I guess you could try to get her to go with you to guitar center and listen to some other stuff (assuming there is a guitar center near you??)

or.... u know if she tried the other stuff available and bb and is stoked on these... maybe no point raining on her parade.. maybe just bite yo' lip and let her enjoy them...??

I would be inclined to just stand down and let her like what she likes?

I'm going with this advice.

I mean, after all she is going to listen to music from her iPad, so it is not like it is going to be Audiophile music listening.

She likes the way it looks and the ways it sounds. So I just told her, to listen to the m-100s, or just go with what she likes.

I never said lying to her was a bad option. If she's happy and wanted to spend that money, it's a valid option. Permission GRANTED.

Not all Monster products are bad - most are not bad in fact. But they are typically overpriced.

This.

This isn't like Bose, who thinks thier shit don't stink and have the best of everything. Monster's products are actually top notch, but yes, over priced. My car stereo is wired up with Monster cable speeker wires, and god damn can i tell a difference between stock wiring. Amazon normally has great deals on Monster stuff.

But, headphones are a long shot. I'd have to hear them...

But, this all begs the question, is your sister an audiophile? Are you just trying to save her money? She probably is materialistic like all women and just wan's some bling...

I'm sure in our quest for the best computer hardware none of us men here at Hardforum are being the least bit materialistic or adhere to a strict diet of consumerism. :)

I'm sure in our quest for the best computer hardware none of us men here at Hardforum are being the least bit materialistic or adhere to a strict diet of consumerism. :)

LOL definitely. If anything, I'd say the majority of people on this forum are constantly wasting money on upgrades they won't even notice and running >$20/mo server setups that never go beyond 1% utilization and doing wasteful things like bitcoin mining. I'm glad I was able to mostly break that cycle myself. Some people are more materialistic than others, regardless of gender..

It's not "[H]ard" to spend money on upgrades you don't need. It's [D]umb.

If the OP's sister bought them for style, that's fine, though she could use some better taste in style, lol, but who cares.

There is a difference from having a hobby, and being materialistic. :rolleyes:

Why should you care? The headphones are for her, not you. She liked how they sound, seems satisfied and that's all that matters.

Why should you care? The headphones are for her, not you. She liked how they sound, seems satisfied and that's all that matters.

The Vmoda headphones look similar(and better imo) to the monsters, are built better and sound better. I would still mention that at least.

This.

This isn't like Bose, who thinks thier shit don't stink and have the best of everything. Monster's products are actually top notch, but yes, over priced. My car stereo is wired up with Monster cable speeker wires, and god damn can i tell a difference between stock wiring. Amazon normally has great deals on Monster stuff.

But, headphones are a long shot. I'd have to hear them...

But, this all begs the question, is your sister an audiophile? Are you just trying to save her money? She probably is materialistic like all women and just wan's some bling...

No, Monster is just like Bose. And having tried most of monsters headphones they are not as good as the Bose QC15. That being said i haven't tried the tears but i imagine they are inferior to a pair of DT770's that cost a bit less.

Well they probably do sound good. One thing I'll give monster is these days, their products work well. Their cables are well made, their screen cleaner works and doesn't streak, their power conditioners are quality, etc. Their stuff does what it promises.

However, the issue is that they over charge for the name, and try to sell a bunch of bullshit. Their HDMI cables are high quality, but no more so than Monoprice or Tartan at a fraction of the price. Their power conditioners do the trick nicely, but Zerosurge or Furman and the same thing for way less.

So, though I've not heard these headphones, I imagine they are the same. They are probably competent headphones, without obvious sonic flaw (though I imagine they have too much bass, that is often something that is done on purpose to make consumers happy). They just aren't as good as what you could get for $300 elsewhere. That kind of money gets you some pretty heavy hitters. You might find ATH-A1000s for that, Beyerdynamic DT880s come in around that price, Sennheiser 598s are under that and so on. You will do better form one of those companies.

There's nothing wrong with buying monster products (unless you object to their business model, they are rather litigious) it is just that you can pretty much certainly do better for the money.

Their power conditioners do the trick nicely, but Zerosurge or Furman and the same thing for way less.

While Monster's surge protectors are quality products (and one of my three good surge protectors is a Monster that I got for a good price), Furman and Zerosurge are better. Monster doesn't deal in series mode protection. Furman is the best really since they have products that use BOTH SMP and MOVs.

No, Monster is just like Bose. And having tried most of monsters headphones they are not as good as the Bose QC15. That being said i haven't tried the tears but i imagine they are inferior to a pair of DT770's that cost a bit less.

Have to agree , both brands are total turds. If you think they are "acceptable" then you haven't listened to much cheaper and better sounding solutions (there are MANY).

You should only buy Monsters if you care a lot more about fashion than sound and I can't think of a decent reason to buy Bose.

Bottom line , do a little research , save yourself a ton of money and stop buying products designed by rappers/stuffy PR turds.

Back