Urgent: Need Pics of PCIe Power Adapter

OriginalOCer

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I just got a X850XT-PE but it didn't come with a 4pin molex to 6pin PCIE power connector. So I wanted to make one as a temp solution until I can get a real one. What I need are pictures of the power adapter cable that comes with a PCIe BBA X850XT/XT-PE or PCIe X800XT/XT-PE. It's important that its from ATi because they only use ONE molex, and *I think* only power 4 out of the six pins.

I need a shot of both ends of the connect as well as a shot that shows where (from the 4pin molex) to where (on the 6pin PCIe connector) the cables are going. That at least 3 pics.

From what I know, I just connect two pins to -12v (black) and two pins to 12v (yellow) and connect the 12v (yellow) to pins 1 and 3 of the PCI connector, and the -12v(black) to pins 4 and 5.

The sooner I get the pics the sooner I'll be able to fool around with my X850XT-PE so someone pleaseeeee hurry. If you dont want to post the pics here, send them to:

shabazz16 at hotmail dot com

EDIT: I found this:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/image/11419

but I need to know where those cables are coming from... I am pretty sure its just two 12vs to ground, but I want to make sure (I dont want to hose my card because I am anxious).

peace,
OriginalOCer

I checked my PSU that has one built in. The 6 pin connector pinout is:
Code:
+-------+
| p p p |
| g g g |
+--[u]---[/u]--+
clip side

p = 12v
g = ground

All 3 on the card should be shorted together on each row. Use a multimeter to verify. The reason some cards use 2 molex connectors to a 6 pin connector is to limit the current to under 2A on each 12v wire.

pxc said:
I checked my PSU that has one built in. The 6 pin connector pinout is:
Code:
+-------+
| p p p |
| g g g |
+--[u]---[/u]--+
clip side

p = 12v
g = ground

All 3 on the card should be shorted together on each row. Use a multimeter to verify. The reason some cards use 2 molex connectors to a 6 pin connector is to limit the current to under 2A on each 12v wire.

So you're saying I should use all 6pins? Like I know for a fact that the X8X0 PCIe series DON'T require all of them... even in [h]'s preview/review of the 850 they said it only requires one molex, and only two wires can be seen leaving the splitter cable.

Also, what the hell is that picture I linked to then? It definitely isn't grounded in pairs (pins 1 and 2 are grounded, but only pin 1 has a 12v... I guess that would mean the 12v in pin3 isn't doing anything.

thanks for posting.
peace,
OriginalOCer

If ATI is using a single molex like this picture: http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/14-161-123-04.JPG only 3 wires are connected like this:
Code:
+-------+
| x x p |
| x g g |
+--[u]---[/u]--+
front view looking into holes

What I meant in the last post is that on the card each power row and ground row are likely shorted together anyways. You don't have to use all 3 12v or all 3 ground pins, but it won't hurt anything either. Just check it with a multi-meter to verify that all pins in each row are shorted together. IOW, it's not organized as 3 sets of power/ground if all 12v pins are shorted together and all 3 grounds are shorted together.

Back