Urgent! Disk Bracket for Newly Released Laptop

BecauseScience

[H]ard|Gawd
My new Toshiba X70 arrived today. I ordered it with a single disk with the intent of installing a big ssd in the 2nd bay. I opened it up to find there was no disk bracket installed in the 2nd bay. I can't install my ssd without a bracket and I can't seem to find the bracket for sale anywhere. I can't even find a part number for it. The X70 is a brand new model so it's missing from every 3rd party parts seller I've found. Toshiba has a bunch of BS accessories listed for it on their parts site but no disk bracket is listed.

Can the [H] rescue me? My back is up against the wall on this one. I need to get this machine set up asap. I'm going to be traveling soon and I need to be able to work on the road.

A big FU to Toshiba for not including the bracket. This is no bargain bin $500 laptop. Ten cents of sheet metal!

The brackets on laptops are usually pretty simple. They usually are very thin metal and essentially just keep the drives from coming unplugged. Why don't you just make one?

Go to the auto store and buy a piece of rubber hose that has a diameter equal to the space between the drive and the body(ask for vacuum hose). Cut it to size. Stick it in. Problem solved.

Have you contacted Toshiba for them?

How about Newmodeus.com?

HP does the same thing for their 2 bay models.
I have read on notebook forums that some members were able to get brackets from the manufacturer for free.

Having trouble finding a service manual, can you post:
Series
and
Model #

Last edited:
Go to the auto store and buy a piece of rubber hose that has a diameter equal to the space between the drive and the body(ask for vacuum hose). Cut it to size. Stick it in. Problem solved.

I'd do the above (interesting idea there) or adhesive velcro

I'd do the above (interesting idea there) or adhesive velcro

I wouldnt use adhesive anywhere there is heat.

If you do follow my advice just make sure its thin wall vacuum hose, this way its flexible. You dont want something with a thick wall that will exert a lot of pressure on stuff. You really just need to fill the gap with something so the drive doesnt back out.

Back