Urgent! Computer froze and BOTH monitors went bright red?!

verklighet

Weaksauce
Hey Guys,

I have this new computer that I've used for about 2 weeks. Everything went fine until I had my first few bluescreenofdeath (in separate occasions). I researched online for a while and realized it might be because of drivers for a Wifi Card that I had inserted. So when I restarted Windows to make one last check that everything else was fine before i removed the Wifi card, so I ran CPUID and SPEEDFAN just when Windows started up.

Right then and there BOTH my monitors went BRIGHT RED (!!) and the computer froze. I couldnt ctrl+alt+del, nor could I reboot computer with a simple press of the Power button, I had to press and hold it until it turned off.

I've never experienced a RED SCREEN like this. It was quite intimidating to be honest.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I really need help to understand this so that I can return the computer and explain to them what the problem might be.

Heres my build:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K - Unlocked - Ivy Bridge
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 2GB OC Windforce
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8192MB) 1600Mhz
HDD: Samsung 830 Series 2,5" SSD 256GB - Desktop Edition and Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 64MB
Cooling system: Corsair Cooling Hydro H100
Power Supply: Corsair HX 850W

Please help, if you need anymore information I'll keep this updated.

Thanks in advance guys

Last edited:
Ok so I read online that this could be "Red Screen Of Death", quite similar to the Blue Screen Of Death but the red screen is rare.

I have removed my Wifi Card and will run the computer all day, all weekend, to see if any of the problems reoccur.

It's not a red screen of death, there isn't any since Vista, it's most likely the driver going out of its bounds and filling up the video memory with specific byte values that happens to be red, or hitting on the ANSI codes to turn the screen red or something, it probably could have been any color. Yours was just solid red with no error code writings, right?

If it still repros without the WiFi card, next in line would be the GPU, then the motherboard, but all your PC components are from great reliable brands, so I doubt it will happen (hope not.)

I'm confused, there's two statements you made that would normally contradict each other:
"here's my build"
"that I can return the computer and explain to them"

Did you build it or did you buy it from a local shop or friend?
Does it work properly without the wifi card?

The kepler cards seem to do this when something accesses the card at a hardware level while displaying something with 3d clocks. Monitoring programs are the typical culprit, evga precision was causing it when I enabled the FPS monitor. Trying different drivers may help, my 670's would do it with certain beta drivers but the newest work fine.

Chimel, you're right, there was no error code writings at all. Just solid pure red across the screen.

So since Red Screen is excluded, what would you call it? I mean, I still couldn't restart the computer properly, I had to press and hold the power button. So it must've frozen the computer as well...atleast I assumed so.

J Macker, A online store compiled and built the computer. I only placed the order.
Also, I just recently removed the Wifi card, so I'll let the computer run and see if it happens again. The Red Screen didn't happen constantly, only ONCE, then when I restarted, Windows rebooted fine and I was able to run programs normally. Then AFTER that, I removed my Wifi card, hoping to prevent future problems.

It's just a plain computer freeze, no other name for it. The red thing is just a side effect that could even not have happened at all. It could have gone beep for that matter.
Either a rogue driver or a faulty hardware. It's strange that it's not been caught by Windows BSOD that second time as it was the first time.

Try also running your CPUID and SPEEDFAN programs without the WiFi card to see if they cause the problem, since that's what you were doing when your computer froze like a scarlet pimpernel...

Pretty sure the Corsair Obsidian 650D - Svart is a case, not a PSU.

Back