[urgent] Can I use Arctic Silver 5 on NB?

I have this mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130082
and I just replaced the NB cooler with this one http://www.sundialmicro.com/cooler_...e1gp_northbridge_chipset_cooler_1732_764.html
and I just installed it with Arctic Silver 5. I noticed that the contact part of the chipset was pretty small and there were other kind of metal dots protruding around the main contact area. I'm now worried if I'm going to blow up my computer because the arctic 5 silver is conductive. Did I just make a major mistake? (I'm on the other house computer and haven't started up the computer in question yet). It has the 650i sli chipset. Oh god I don't want to blow up my computer :(

You'll be fine as long as you did a good job applying the paste. I've been using AS for pretty much anything that needs thermal paste for years and have had nothing but lower temps.

Enjoy.

Well I applied it all over the center of the heatsink and spread it out with a credit card. I'm afraid if the Arctic silver touches those other little protruding metal dots on the chipset area I'm gonna blow it up. Here is a little crude picture I made in paint with the yellow part representing the "padding" thingy, the orange representing the copper base of the heatsink, the grey representing the arctic silver 5, and the black square in the middle is about the actual size of the contact part.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1177043/nb.GIF

AS5 isn't conductive... At all. I wouldn't worry about it.

As long as you didn't smear it on like whipped cream, you're fine.

The AS5 should touch nothing but the face of the NB. You also have to be careful to make it really thin so that it does not squeeze out onto the pins after you apply the HS.

If that's what the AS5 looks like on your chip, then you used WAY too much. The paste should cover the chip die only. I would clean that off and start over. Probably the easiest way to apply it is to put a drop on the center of the chip that's slightly larger than the size of a pinhead. Don't spread it at all. When you install the heatsink, the paste will spread itself. AS5 takes time to cure and it needs heat to help it spread. Trust me, a little goes a long way and if you use too much you will actually get higher temps.

Well I booted up and there doesn't seem to be problems so far and my cpu temp is actually 29c right now when before it was 31c idle. If there was gonna be a problem it would've happened by now wouldnt it?

You should be fine. Your temps should lower a bit more too as the paste cures. It won't be anything drastic though and you may not notice.

If you start experiencing any stability issues at stock speeds or high temps then consider reapplying the paste.

You should be fine. Your temps should lower a bit more too as the paste cures. It won't be anything drastic though and you may not notice.

If you start experiencing any stability issues at stock speeds or high temps then consider reapplying the paste.

Yeah its when I overclock that's it's going to blow up right :rolleyes:

What makes you think that the only problem you could have would be it dying instantly? Shorts don't always kill your gear.

Also, you're welcome for the help.

You're right and wrong. It technically isn't electrically conductive, but it can still do some damage if applied to the wrong areas.

Generally, I only use AS5 on bases such as the IHS of a cpu. For mosfets and other non-copper surfaces I use AS Ceramique due to its non-conductiveness.

Excerpt from AS5 Product Description:

(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

You're right and wrong. It technically isn't electrically conductive, but it can still do some damage if applied to the wrong areas.

Generally, I only use AS5 on bases such as the IHS of a cpu. For mosfets and other non-copper surfaces I use AS Ceramique due to its non-conductiveness.

Excerpt from AS5 Product Description:

Yep. I seriously doubt it would do any damage bridging the pathway of a filtering capacitor on top of the chip though.

Back