URGE on Windows Media Player 11 ..problems burning data CDs

Motley

2[H]4U
I'm running Windows Media Center 2005, with Windows Media Player 11, with the new URGE music service.

I "purchased" and album through the URGE music service integrated within WMP 11, and I can burn audio CDs with no problem, but I cannot burn the wma files to just a data CD. When I burn a data CD with the wma files, my portable mp3/wma player will not play the music. I emailed URGE customer support, and the claim to have Windows Digital Rights Protection is on the files, but it says I can burn an unlimited amout of times.

Anyone have this problem?, and/or how the heck to do burn my "purchased" music to data CDs.

Burning them "unlimited" times is for audio cds not data. This is done to prevent you from mass buying copy protected cds online, burning the audio files (wma mp3 etc) a cd and giving it to a friend.

wow!, that really sucks. I thought since I purchased the music, I had rights to do anything I wanted with it.

I guess I'll go back to downloading off kazaa for free, and if I like the music, i'll go buy the stupid album at the store!

If he can make a "Standard Audio CD" by burning, shouldn't he be able to rip that CD to mp3, wave, or whatever?

-Larry

TechLarry said:
If he can make a "Standard Audio CD" by burning, shouldn't he be able to rip that CD to mp3, wave, or whatever?

-Larry

I tried that already. The media usage rights is still embedded in the files. I actually found a program that strips it called Tunebite

..doing this degrades the quality though.

This is the ultimate DRM suckage when even the standard audio CD's you make are copy protected.

Thanks for the warning. I'll now pass.

-Larry

Back