UPS

ng4ever

2[H]4U
What kind of UPS would you recommend for a gateway/modem for my BGW 210 Fiber equipment and ONT (I think it is called all I know is it is a white little box on the wall that is plugged in too)

Is it even worth doing this?

Mainly want it so we still have hardware line for at least mobile devices when the power goes out. At least for 2 hours + even 2 hours exactly is fine. The more the better though but not really required.

Home telecom equipment typically doesn't take a ton of power. A modest 425VA UPS will probably back it up for a 30 mins. But nothing is stopping you from getting crazy with the cheese whiz and going way bigger. It'll just back up the equipment for much longer. A 1500VA UPS will probably back that up for a day.

Almost anything will be great for this. And the newer ones have some usb ports too so that covers the mobile devices too.

450va is plenty
Actually, now looking at the power requirements for the bgw 210 and the ont, it's probably nearly 50w to keep that stuff on, so something on the 1000va side would be better to keep it on for 2hrs.

Actually, now looking at the power requirements for the bgw 210 and the ont, it's probably nearly 50w to keep that stuff on, so something on the 1000va side would be better to keep it on for 2hrs.
yeah youre right, i didnt realize they draw that much. all the ups calcs say 1000+ for 2hrs.

yeah youre right, i didnt realize they draw that much. all the ups calcs say 1000+ for 2hrs.
I didn't either until your post and I remembered that most routers are up to 3a now on the 12v, and that's a lot more power draw. I was originally thinking 'a 250va will power this for days', but a 250va would be not even last an hour. :eek:

Also, let me say, don't be afraid of getting an old APC off EvilBay and putting new batteries in it. I think I've purchased, one, maybe two, new UPSs in my entire life. I've been through at least a dozen of them. On the last one I got, it was a 1500; I saved 80 bucks by just getting some new batteries and slapping them in there.

I pulled two 1500VA APCs out of my old job in 2010. They were in there since at least 2005. Once just died. The other is died a few years ago. Those APCs last a long time.

Also, let me say, don't be afraid of getting an old APC off EvilBay and putting new batteries in it. I think I've purchased, one, maybe two, new UPSs in my entire life. I've been through at least a dozen of them. On the last one I got, it was a 1500; I saved 80 bucks by just getting some new batteries and slapping them in there.

I pulled two 1500VA APCs out of my old job in 2010. They were in there since at least 2005. Once just died. The other is died a few years ago. Those APCs last a long time.
Yes, this is very true as well. I got a 700VA sine wave unit locally for $10 that had a fading battery and then got a genuine apc battery in the cdw outlet for like $35 and it's been running ever since. And now that I think about it, that was almost 3 years ago now. My how time flies.

We also have some 1000va sine wave units we bought new in the 1990s I believe. I think they're on their 3rd/4th battery and are still working great. The older APC units were built like tanks and were made well enough that it's what made APC known for ups units. Still, nothing like just going and getting a new one too with a full warranty on it. I'm usually doing the latter when one has batteries die until I can find batteries cheap if I haven't already stocked them.

Back