UPS thinks address is vacant, decides to ship product TO A DIFFERENT address anyway

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Recently I sold someone here at [H] an X79 motherboard and shipped through UPS. According to the UPS lady over the phone, they did indeed attempt to ship to the original shipping address I specified when I dropped things off at a local UPS Store, but that they think the address was vacant / incorrect and so WITHOUT CONTACTING ME (the sender) decided on a new address and delivered it to new address! They should have held the package and contacted me for help, but that isn't what they did.

Please avoid UPS.

Prior to this, I never cared whether to use UPS or FedEx, both were the same in my eyes. This is the first time I have encountered a problem with a shipping company. In the future I will be using anything but UPS.

Sooo you say the sender decided on a new address? How is UPS at fault?

I feel like we're not getting the full story here.

So you messed up an address, UPS delivered it elsewhere, and you haven't even indicated the second address was wrong. Did the buyer get their package or not? Where is this rest of this story? And now you want people to avoid UPS over this? LOL

I don't know the whole story on the OP's shipment, but I DO KNOW that UPS has a tendency to play soccer (futbol) with my packages.

UPS needs to develop spherical "World Cup" boxes so they work better for the UPS Employee World Cup Championship.

Sooo you say the sender decided on a new address? How is UPS at fault?

I feel like we're not getting the full story here.
Negative. And yes, you are getting the full story.

So you messed up an address, UPS delivered it elsewhere, and you haven't even indicated the second address was wrong. Did the buyer get their package or not? Where is this rest of this story? And now you want people to avoid UPS over this? LOL
Checked all communication with buyer and the only address I received was from PayPal. I am waiting from the buyer to receive absolute confirmation that it is indeed the correct address, but until I receive it I am still going to assume it is indeed the correct address.

The above details don't even matter. You know why? Because UPS shouldn't have made assumptions. They should be calling the sender to ask for help. Even USPS will send stuff back to the sender if an address is invalid/vacant.

Negative. And yes, you ARE getting the full story here.

Negative, did not mess up an address. Buyer did not receive package because it got delivered elsewhere. There is no rest of story, This is the full story.

In your internet rage fit, you completely left out the fact that your package didn't make it to the buyer.

I think some people didn't read the posting here OP said "he sold the motherboard and shipped to the address paypal specified and ups shipped to a different one without asking because where it was shipped to looked vacant"
How is this wrong of him to be upset? I would be too because now it is in limbo and ups will probably try to get out of paying up for delivering to the wrong address.

Received new communication from buyer and was informed that PayPal provided one of his older addresses and wasn't sure why but apologies. Buyer is going to proceed to communicate with UPS.

BTW, this isn't about the buyer. I'm not the least upset with the buyer even if I will fully refund the buyer. I am upset with UPS for changing the address without consulting me.

Last edited:
Received new communication from seller and was informed that PayPal provided one of his older addresses and wasn't sure why but apologies. Seller is going to proceed to communicate with UPS.

BTW, this isn't about the seller. I'm not the least upset with the seller even if I will fully refund the seller. I am upset with UPS for changing the address without consulting me.

I usually get pretty miffed when people are using old addresses for their PayPal Verified address. It is just irresponsible.

Recently I sold someone here at [H] an X79 motherboard and shipped through UPS.
Seller is going to proceed to communicate with UPS.
BTW, this isn't about the seller...

Aren't you the seller? Your typing is brutal to follow, I've seen bathroom walls written better.

I usually get pretty miffed when people are using old addresses for their PayPal Verified address. It is just irresponsible.

Aren't you the seller? Your typing is brutal to follow, I've seen bathroom walls written better.
Sorry, I meant buyer. "BTW this isn't about the buyer", "Buyer is going to proceed to communicate with UPS." Fixed my post.

I think some people didn't read the posting here OP said "he sold the motherboard and shipped to the address paypal specified and ups shipped to a different one without asking because where it was shipped to looked vacant"
How is this wrong of him to be upset? I would be too because now it is in limbo and ups will probably try to get out of paying up for delivering to the wrong address.

I don't think anyone is saying it's wrong to be upset, I think most of us were just trying to figure out WTF the situation was since the OP was so poorly written.

So I guess it went like:

OP sends motherboard to buyer
UPS says address is invalid
UPS delivers to some other address without contacting OP

In which case, UPS fucked up big time. What was the "alternate" address they used? It seems odd that they would just choose to deliver to some other random address of their own volition.

While it is the onus of the buyer to ensure his shipping and contact information is correct, I'm going to give it a pass here and still blame paycrap for one fairly good reason here.

Sometime over the course of the past year fairly early on, paypal saw fit to decide that people should be allowed to have multiple shipping addresses instead of just being allowed to use their one verified, confirmed paypal shipping address. In doing so, paypal did three things:

- First they dredged up a whole lot of old addresses you might have given them in the past (say, if you moved, put in new credit cards/bank accounts, contact info).

- Second, they put these addresses in a handy, yet unnoticeable droplist right between your summary information and payment note.

- Finally, they defaulted to some random, arbitrary shipping address which may not have been your current verified, confirmed paypal shipping address.

It took me a couple weeks to realize that paypal had something like 8 years and three different states worth of my shipping addresses on file. Thankfully it only resulted in two forwarded packages before I cleaned up my profile. I absolutely despise that paypal allows people to use an alternate shipping address from their verified address now, but hey, what are you going to do? It's why I always make sure to also PM my address to a seller as well.

I'll admit that, as a seller, I should have asked the buyer to confirm the address before I shipped products out. ;o

Don't see where all the flack is coming from for op. UPS decided on their own to ship to a different address than the shipper specified.... Why wouldn't that cause concern?

Don't see where all the flack is coming from for op. UPS decided on their own to ship to a different address than the shipper specified.... Why wouldn't that cause concern?
Really?

EDIT: Ha, nevermind! Thought you wrote "Why would that cause concern?" Today has been super stressful at work. :(

I am the person he ended up shipping this motherboard too, I purchased the board prior to receiving news that I was moving and have had a crazy time trying to get my stuff situated.

This morning I was thinking, hmm I bought a board over a week ago and didn't get it yet, then checked the tracking provided by seller to find delivery confirmation say "delivered at side door" on 10/31, to which i thought "wtf I was here all day on 10/31 and nothing was delivered" I contacted seller and he followed up with UPS.

I don't even know how paypal pulled my previous address which i moved out of about 8 months ago but this was a house that was demolished nearly 3 months ago. I think it was from making the payment on my cell phone. I can see how UPS was confused, but how or why they decided to pull my address previous to that one and just deliver it is beyond me (I've had many deliveries from UPS to my current address, in fact even got one today)...

As seller says they should have contacted him and he would have contacted me and the problem would have been solved. Now I have to hope they can retrieve the package from the address it was delivered to 5 days ago and redeliver it to me. Otherwise he will have to file a claim with UPS.

After speaking with several ups people i went onto paypal and deleted my old addresses, lol.

OP's point is, if the buyer says I did not receive the package, he can argue that. UPS and Fedex now have this new thing. Buyer can route the package, if you pay kind of premium membership. But it may open a new opportunities for scammers

Back