UPS Store Rep: "We don't offer damage insurance on self-packed boxes." Guess what packing costs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janas19

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm in the process of selling my Thinkpad T420 to a user here, VanFanel89. Today, I took it to the UPS Store in Pueblo to ship it. Taken from my conversation with him:

"I took your laptop to the UPS Store to ship it. I told them I wanted to have it insured for $150. The UPS rep told me it costs $27 for the store package it. I said no problem, I will package it myself. I have two big rolls of bubble wrap and I'll buy one of your overpriced cardboard boxes for $5.69.

She says, "If you package the laptop yourself, we can't offer damage insurance. Only loss insurance." Seriously? You won't insure the package if I stand here in front of you and package it with 2 inches of bubble wrap on all sides? She says "I'm sorry, but we only insure for loss on self-packed boxes." I asked if the $27 included shipping costs. "No, shipping is $15 plus a $2 fuel surchage." The UPS Store wanted me to pay $43 to ship a $130 laptop so that they would cover insurance on shipping damage.

Incredulous, I asked her if this was a new policy. She told me no, she has been at this store for 4 years and it's always been that way (not true, I have shipped there many times with self-packed boxes, and I have the receipts to prove it). I left and took the laptop to a UPS Shipment Center 10 miles from my home to speak to a manager. The man there apologized and said he has no idea what that woman was talking about. They let me use my own packing materials and charged $18 for Ground Shipping with $150 worth of insurance."

I was so upset, I got the woman's name and store number and called UPS Store's corporate number to file a complaint. I'm also planning on giving them 1 star on Google Reviews. The UPS Store in Pueblo has lost a longtime customer. I am never going back there again. Ever.

I have used UPS more than all other carriers combined for my valuable shipments. Some people freak out if you say you are going to ship a computer via UPS. I have never had a problem. Maybe I am statistically likely to have a problem eventually. Insurance is probably a good idea if you take photos.

Nice blog rant.

I only ever show up to UPS with shit already boxed and ready to go. You are one of those jerk people that hold up the line for 10 minutes because of zero preparation skills. $27 seems like a fair charge to penalize unprepared customers who bring unboxed shit to UPS or FedEx :p

Also the OP has horrible math skills. $27+15+2=$44, not $43.

I have a mailbox and have shipped packages at UPS Store. I'll ask the staff at my local UPS Store if that is their policy too. Note that the UPS Stores are just franchises. Corporate has nothing to do with them. In fact corporate considers them the red headed step child.

Nice blog rant.

I only ever show up to UPS with shit already boxed and ready to go. You are one of those jerk people that hold up the line for 10 minutes because of zero preparation skills. $27 seems like a fair charge to penalize unprepared customers who bring unboxed shit to UPS or FedEx :p

Also the OP has horrible math skills. $27+15+2=$44, not $43.

Yes, because if I need to package a shipment in store I like to stand right in front of the clerk and block everyone behind me rather than moving off to the side tables where there's extra room for that.

/s

I have a mailbox and have shipped packages at UPS Store. I'll ask the staff at my local UPS Store if that is their policy too. Note that the UPS Stores are just franchises. Corporate has nothing to do with them. In fact corporate considers them the red headed step child.

Yeah I suppose that makes sense but if the franchisee is representing UPS and using their name, maybe they would be concerned if one store is forcing high rates on customers.

Yup, my dad owned his own shipping store years ago. "We Make Ship Happen". He sold it to UPS when they started buying up independent franchises. This was slightly before everyone had internet, so he made a killing off of unprepared people.

I assumed this was the case with every shipper.

My local FedEx says they have the same policy (sort of). The way that it was explained to me is, if for example, you packaged the item yourself and had an issue, and they decided that you didn't do enough to protect the item, you might end up in a situation where insurance coverage is denied. If the employee is packing the item, and they didn't do enough to protect it, it's covered no questions asked.

So with that said, yes... you can insure a package that you packed yourself.... but you may not be 100% covered in the event something happens.

I'm glad my office has a corporate Fedex account that they don't mind me piggybacking off of for personal packages. I pack my own crap and set whatever insurance value I want & am willing to pay for but I never thought there was a distinction in insurance between loss and damaged in transit. Might have to look into this ... but luckily I haven't had any problems so far. /fingers crossed & knock on wood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back