UPS Spare Batteries: Best way to keep them maintained

NotSoSimple

[H]F Junkie
We have ~6 UPS units at work left over from a project. What would be the best way to keep them as spares? Right now they are BNIB from APC and stored in our warehouse. I am assuming I will want them charged but I am having a hard time finding specific information. Do I do it monthly, bi-annually, annually?

You can use a car battery charger either on individual batteries or on banks of batteries in parallel (make sure the batteries are at the same charge level before considering putting them in parallel). Use a GOOD intelligent charger. I recommend a Ctek 7002. It is intelligent and can be left on them indefinitely if you so desire (or you could connect it for a couple hours a week... it's intelligent enough though), and it also has a helpful (though not perfect) battery reconditioning mode.

This works because UPS batteries are the same type of battery as car batteries - lead acid, and UPS batteries are 12v like a car battery. (If you do have an odd-ball UPS that uses non-LA or non-12V batteries, post back stating so before you do anything.)

On a somewhat related note, where do you guys purchase UPS batteries for cheap? I have two Conext CNB700 that needs battery replacement, but since I dont know technical jack about UPSs, I heard that most UPS batteries are universal?
I will be plugging my ESXi server onto it to try to prevent unexpected shutdowns and hopefully learn how to gracefully shut down the VM's while its struggling with the limited battery capacity.

I've purchased 12v batteries from Amazon and my local battery store. They were more expensive than Amazon, and I quoted Amazon's price and they matched it.

There's an electrical contractor place in my town (Dixon Electric) where I usually buy mine. WAY cheaper than the APC ones, and it's the exact same batteries, without the APC sticker on it. It's literally the exact same thing. They usually are CSB brand batteries.

On a somewhat related note, where do you guys purchase UPS batteries for cheap? I have two Conext CNB700 that needs battery replacement, but since I dont know technical jack about UPSs, I heard that most UPS batteries are universal?
I will be plugging my ESXi server onto it to try to prevent unexpected shutdowns and hopefully learn how to gracefully shut down the VM's while its struggling with the limited battery capacity.

Almost all UPS use 12v 7/8Ah batteries or 12v 12Ah batteries which come in standard forms.

http://www.refurbups.com/

$32+ship Conext CNB700 Compatible Replacement Battery

Wow, battery prices have gone up since I last looked at them 1 to 2 years ago. I bought a dozen of these for work at $18.75 each and now they are like yours over $30 each. Although these are the high rate ones.

http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?action=link&product=10401

Edit: My mistake I picked a 12V 12Ah battery instead of a 12V 9Ah. The 9Ah is $19.60 + shipping.

http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?action=link&product=243

Last edited:
And that is all UPSs except a few server grade models that have larger batteries.
The Conext CNB700 replacement batteries are 12V 12A spec from all vendors. Are you recommending replacing it with a cheaper 9A battery instead?

The Conext CNB700 replacement batteries are 12V 12A spec from all vendors.
I did not notice that till a few minutes later when I looked it up and saw that it was RBC4 compatible. No I do not recommend going down in power rating because that will reduce run time.

The 7/8/9 Ah batteries are of a different size than the 12Ah batteries (It's amp hours, not amps; they are different) so don't swap from one to the other. You can swap them as far as most UPS care in the electrical sense, just that they most likely wouldn't physically fit.

Edit to add this (so people don't think the above line is the ONLY difference): The amp hour rating means that the battery can supply 1A for that amount of hours, so the bigger number, the more uptime and also the larger and generally more expensive the battery is.

Also, I recommend you get "AGM" batteries as opposed to gel cell or flooded/wet cell. (They are all sub-types of lead acid batteries.) The AGM holds the electrolyte inside in a more stable way and the battery lasts longer than the other two types. It's slightly less dense than flooded cells because they add fiberglass inside of the battery ("Absorbed Glass Mat") but it's worth it.

Last edited:
You are correct the 12Ah batteries are wider.

Length 5.94", Width 3.90", Height (Total Height 3.98"),

vs

Length 5.94", Width 2.56", Height 3.74" (Total Height 3.98"),

The 7/8/9 Ah batteries are of a different size than the 12Ah batteries (It's amp hours, not amps; they are different) so don't swap from one to the other. You can swap them as far as most UPS care in the electrical sense, just that they most likely wouldn't physically fit.
Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering what the differences would be.

What about plugging them (The entire UPS unit) in on a schedule? Shouldnt the UPS condition/charge? That would be the easiest, however I am reading the best is to set them on a smart charger out of the chassis and keep them plugged in.

They are standard Sealed Lead Acid units. APC 1500VA units IIRC.

If you plan on using a car battery use a deep cycle battery that is sealed. Less chances of acid leaking and the gas build up inside your house.

What about plugging them (The entire UPS unit) in on a schedule? Shouldnt the UPS condition/charge? That would be the easiest, however I am reading the best is to set them on a smart charger out of the chassis and keep them plugged in..

You could rotate them and use the UPS to keep them charged, but that would be a pain and you really don't want to mess with the production environment like that when you don't have to.

Back