UPS: Leave A Package, Steal A Package

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know that <insert tech gift> you ordered for Christmas? You'd better hope this guy wasn't your delivery driver.

He continued to search the video and at 1:15 p.m. he saw the family's second holiday gift delivered by UPS, but two minutes later, the UPS employee returns. "I said, &#8216;oh my god,&#8217; it is the UPS guy," Alverson said. And he was right. Dressed in the familiar brown uniform, the video showed the driver returning and taking the FedEx package sitting by the front door with the iPad Mini inside.

This sort of crap is why I have deliveries made to either my work or my gf work, or just pick stuff up at the UPS store.

I just pick stuff up. I sure as hell don't want it just left next to my door. That's just asking to be stolen.

My UPS/FedEx driver just drops off my packages at the front door (he hides them under our bench behind the bushes) never had a lost package in the past 8 years. I could have 4 or 5 packages sitting there for hours and not worry about it; I also live in Miami, FL.

At least they had surveillance, and Youtube as an outrage aggregator...otherwise that iPad mini woulda been gone.

You would think the guy would have looked around for cameras before stealing something. Maybe he thought if he didn't look up they couldn't ID him.

You would think the guy would have looked around for cameras before stealing something. Maybe he thought if he didn't look up they couldn't ID him.

The guy had Apple earbuds he probably stole in a similar manner that came with an iPod he similarly stole. Being brazen and having gotten away with it, he got careless.

There's a reason why they advise against sending cash in an envelope.

Yeah, these guys are left largely unsupervised with packages of varying value. Package theft is definitely a possibility, the only reason it doesn't happen more often is because a lot of packages are worthless, and they usually don't want to risk their job opening them up to check.

If you buy from a well-known company like Newegg or Amazon, though, their name and address are plastered all over the packaging so they get a better idea of the value/contents, although that's somewhat balanced by the fact that those companies have more resources to put into tracking/investigating what happens with orders.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the time, when people get a broken, badly packaged, or damaged product that no other customers have had issues with, it was because the delivery guy got into it first, saw it wasn't worth enough to steal, and repackaged it sloppily.

Insurance and tracking are your friends. These guys do not make enough that you can trust them completely, and they never have. This really isn't a new thing, it's just back in the news again.

Happens a lot around Christmas, those guys want presents for their family too...

UPS= U People Steal:)

Oh well, on the bright side this piece of shit is out of a job:)...hopefully.

That's bull... they make more than enough. From what I hear, they make like 70 to 80k easy. For driving around.

That's bull... they make more than enough. From what I hear, they make like 70 to 80k easy. For driving around.

Seasonal workers for UPS start at $8.50/hour from what I've read. "What you've heard" seems grossly inflated.

Seasonal workers for UPS start at $8.50/hour from what I've read. "What you've heard" seems grossly inflated.

See: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/JobClub/tips-find-holiday-jobs/story?id=8858233

ABC said:
UPS will hire 50,000 seasonal package handlers and drivers' helpers. (That's down from 60,000 two years ago, but it's a big number of openings.) These are fast-paced, physically demanding roles with average pay starting at $8.50 an hour. UPSJobs.com lists all the openings by location.

*Damn lack of edit post

That is for full time driver, so the guy stole the ipad could be part time driver (still get paid at least $16-$22 per hour).

You are lucky that in US, leaving a packet in front of the door is usually not stolen. Most country I know they will let you a paper, not the box....

Yea, I was gonna come back and say that I realize this guy is a seasonal worker. And I admit, I don't know how much those guys make, but I don't doubt those regular ones do similar things.

When I order stuff personally, I always have it held. Unless the local UPS station screws that up and delivers $15k of servers to the back porch on a Friday and then doesn't acknowledge any delivery. So I find it Sunday afternoon after 2 days exposed in freezing weather... Almost would have preferred theft.

If you buy from a well-known company like Newegg or Amazon, though, their name and address are plastered all over the packaging so they get a better idea of the value/contents, although that's somewhat balanced by the fact that those companies have more resources to put into tracking/investigating what happens with orders.

Ya, when I was living in S.Korea, I had my Newegg packages stolen all the time. They knew they could make a killing off the items, cause computer parts in S.Korea, are usually 10-25% higher price there, than the US. Not that they lose any money anyways.

I had to stop ordering from Newegg and went to Mwave.

What piece of shit. Will lose his job over $329.

Hell factor in taxes that's $400USD. At my local full time minimum wage before income taxes, that is 30% of your monthly income in one sticky-finger at Xmas time. He is still a piece of shit undoubtedly.

The article itself stated the employee was identified and fired. He was a seasonal worker.

I've been seeing an excess amount of these videos/reports this holiday season. It just gives me all the more ammunition to convince my significant other that the investment in a quality surveillance is well worth it. And of course one of those "Smile, you're on camera" signs. Because half these jackasses don't realize they're on camera and if they did they probably wouldn't act like jackasses.

I'd open the door and shoot him in the neck. Say it was self defense. No lie.

1) There is almost always a vehicle in my driveway, and I have a peephole on my door.

2) I have a giant "Video Surveillance Enforced" on my home security alarm system sign. You can bypass it, but its just not worth the effort:

6548232271_76ddc952e9_o.jpg

$85, and you get motion alert screenshots like the above sent to your phone. Worth it IMO.

Seasonal or part timer. Nothing to see here. My ups driver and FedEx driver both get a nice card and a little extra this time of year. Unsurprisingly my packages always arrive early and undamaged. I love how people blame an entire company for the actions of a few lowlifes.

I don't think they are blaming the company, but more so, how frequent these sort of things happen.

I'd rather have my package stolen in 3 days with fedex/ups, and have it redelivered in 3 more days, then have to wait 7-10 days for USPS...

Yeah, these guys are left largely unsupervised with packages of varying value. Package theft is definitely a possibility, the only reason it doesn't happen more often is because a lot of packages are worthless, and they usually don't want to risk their job opening them up to check.

Maybe it doesn't happen more often primarily because most postal/UPS employees have a moral aversion to stealing.

Seasonal workers dont make much but the actual UPS drivers do in fact make a lot of cash some upwards of 90k with the holiday overtime included. Gotta love Unions....I guess.

Seasonal workers dont make much but the actual UPS drivers do in fact make a lot of cash some upwards of 90k with the holiday overtime included. Gotta love Unions....I guess.

Hey, it pays for their trust!

You know how it is: the more you're making (and the more desirable your job position), the less inclined you are to steal. It's not perfect, but it does give pause to those who might otherwise break that trust.

I'd rather they put the money up-front to reduce theft rather than play the negligent judgement math games some corporations do :D

I'd rather have my package stolen in 3 days with fedex/ups, and have it redelivered in 3 more days, then have to wait 7-10 days for USPS...

I can totally agree with you there. USPS is the slowest delivery service out there. I just ordered some software off newegg with their 'Upgraded 2 day shipping" so you get your package by the 24th but I got the tracking info later in the day and it was handed off to DHL who is going to give it to USPS so I'm sure I will get it by next Friday ish if I'm lucky which Wednesday the 19th to probably the 28th 9 days but we will say 7 days minus the 24/25 holidays. But still UPS would have it to my house in 2 days. USPS 7-9 days.... :(

I know this is a little off topic but at least I feel like I'm not alone out there when it comes to USPS.

The article itself stated the employee was identified and fired. He was a seasonal worker.

I've been seeing an excess amount of these videos/reports this holiday season. It just gives me all the more ammunition to convince my significant other that the investment in a quality surveillance is well worth it. And of course one of those "Smile, you're on camera" signs. Because half these jackasses don't realize they're on camera and if they did they probably wouldn't act like jackasses.

If you are going to warn them then you might as well just glue an old broken camera up.

If you are going to warn them then you might as well just glue an old broken camera up.
There are fake ones you can buy, but the real ones aren't that expensive. And personally, I think its great getting a little message pop up on my phone and seeing who came to my door, whether its for a package I was waiting on or kids on the block trying to knock-and-run.

Plus, if someone says "we came and knocked on the door but you weren't there", you can call them a liar with confidence to their face, and show them a quick replay of your camera's recording of the day showing they never came by. :D

There is no point in looking for cameras anymore. They can hidden in almost anything now, even by a hobbyist.

We had a UPS delivery person like that... And he swears he put that new laptop behind our "screen door"! The problem is that we don't have a screen door. :eek:

Back