UPS for an high end SLI rig.

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by sblantipodi, Sep 4, 2017.

1. sblantipodi

sblantipodi 2[H]4U

Hi all,
    I am planning on upgrading my PC with two high end volta (as soon as they will be released) and a Threadripper or an i9 (I need to choose as soon as icelake will hit the road).

I would like to stay safe and have an UPS of at least 1200W.
    Is there someone who can suggest me a good UPS brand with a good UPS greater or equal than 1200W capacity?

Have you ever heard about PowerWalker?
    It seems that they have good products.

https://www.powerwalker.com/?page=product&item=10120066

2. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

I assume whereever you live the AC voltage is around 200V or at least in the acceptable range for that unit (162-290 VAC).

No

3. Araxie

Araxie [H]ardness Supreme

With that amount of wattage you have to go overkill 2.5KVA - 3KVA to have an acceptable Back-Up Time, and we are talking about just 10 minutes, as brands you can't never go wrong with CyberPower and APC.. I have couple of APC Smart SRT 3000VA for the servers with additional battery pack and at about 2500W Load I get about 20minutes back up time, without the extra battery pack it falls to less than 5minutes.

The UPS you linked have less than 4minute back up time at HALF load, unacceptable, at least to me.

4. sblantipodi

sblantipodi 2[H]4U

yes, in Italy we have 220V.

The Cyberpower PR1500ELCD seems to be the best of the batch:
    https://www.cyberpower.com/hk/en/product/sku/PR1500ELCD

but I have heard that they are noisy. is there someone here who have one of those? I mean the smart series not the gaming one.

5. drescherjm

I have several similar server grade Cyberpowers at work (not sure of the exact models). They are completely silent unless you are on the battery.

Gasaraki_ likes this.
  6. sblantipodi

sblantipodi 2[H]4U

for me 4 minutes is more than enough.
    I use it for a PC and when the UPS "has sense" I sit in front on the PC and I have time to close everything in 4 minutes.

7. RedWagnum

RedWagnum Limp Gawd

I have one of these, a similar unit and it is silent unless running on battery.

drescherjm likes this.
  8. drescherjm

That is my experience with the 1/2 dozen of the server grade CyberPower UPSs that I have here at work.

A few of the are PR2200LCDSL models. Although I do have an older PR2200 model with no LCD.

9. sblantipodi

sblantipodi 2[H]4U

thank you guys. it will arrive on friday, finger crossed for noise :D

10. Araxie

405 Joules its A LOT man, A LOT... also it's always better to look for the Total Ampere Resistance instead of Joule (Energy) resistance rating... the real standard for surge protection is generally kA.

Anyway If you are worried about surge suppression then I highly suggest to install a Spike/surge Suppressor on the electric panel on your house it is install, set and forget peace of mind, I post that model as that's the one i'm using, but it work as example.. with one of those you can focus in other areas when looking for an UPS.

11. sblantipodi

sblantipodi 2[H]4U

your suggestion is really good but I am buying a new home and my electric panel is full, there is no room for a SPD on it and it doesn't worth the investment (time and money, specially time since it's pretty cheap)
    in any case SPD protects against external overvoltge but not from overvoltage inside the house.

even a washdisher can cause high spikes.

12. Araxie

any household appliance device can cause a short-circuit of any kind of magnitude however that's why even regular breakers are for, they will trigger/damage before any other damage can be caused to the breaker control panel, a typical house (two poles/two phases) breaker panel (doesn't matter if 120Vac or 240Vac) are arranged in order to have, for example, rooms separated from laundry, air conditioners outlet separated from room outlets, kitchen outlet separated from bath outlets and so on, each section of the house it's separated to provide a balance on the load to the main panel and to protect/isolate rooms and house sections as you mention with a dishwasher which may cause a short-circuit but that's nothing close of the load any typical 20A breaker can handle, worse scenario you will have to replace the breaker but the short-circuit wont go to the rest of the house. again if you are also concerned about that kind of damages you may build in your next house a dedicated control panel for your desired needs/protections with thermal-magnetic circuit breakers , what I mean with this, is the fact that with a high quality and good protected control panel on your house you have little to worry about protections on a UPS and you can focus on other areas as Pure Sine-wave, Noise, Battery, monitoring tools, network and coaxial protective input/output, etc etc. with so many concerns I recommend to call a good trusted electrical technician so it can build for you a dedicated electrical panel for security and protections for your new house, so you can have some peace of mind regarding the protection of your devices it will better than spending several thousands of dollars buying high-end server grade UPS.

13. sblantipodi

sblantipodi 2[H]4U

drescherjm likes this.
  14. Gasaraki_

Gasaraki_ Limp Gawd

I have CyberPower and APC Smart-UPS and the CyberPower is not noisy at least not mine.

15. sblantipodi

sblantipodi 2[H]4U

Yes, as I wrote in that thread my Cyberpower PR1500ELCD is deadly silent.

16. Ripskin

Ripskin [H]ard|Gawd

I have had a Cyber Power for 8 to 10 years now, replaced the batteries in it once and it is silent except when on battery as others have said.

17. sblantipodi

sblantipodi 2[H]4U

How did you choosed to replace the batteries? Is there some alert from UPS that tells that batteries needs to be replaced?
    Thanks

18. RedWagnum

RedWagnum Limp Gawd

For me, I use the Power Panel Personal Edition. It has a self test function that forces it to simulate a power failure and kicks in the batteries. I run that every few months. If the system shuts off when I run the self test... well it's time for new batteries. :D

19. sblantipodi

sblantipodi 2[H]4U

I tought on a more "scientific method" but hey, the experimental method is even a scientific one :D

20. drescherjm

All of the UPSs that I have use a test function. I replace the batteries when the UPS reports a battery test failure or sometimes when I notice that the UPS is hot. When batteries are going bad they will heat up the UPS when it tries to charge them..

21. Ripskin

Ripskin [H]ard|Gawd

I have an older version of: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102070 purchased in 2010. In 2014 the unit beeped at me and gave a battery fault alert.
    I went back on Newegg and their price was comparable to amazon so I threw them the business as they made finding replacements really easy.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1TW0RT2156

There were off brands and stuff for a bit less money but for this device I wanted as close to original as possible to ensure safety and such.

My last power outage 2 years ago this UPS driving my rig lasted longer than my FiOS UPS. I have mine set up so my NAS, modem and main rig minus 2 monitors are all tied to the UPS batteries. I was playing DOTA 2 at the time and kept playing on one screen to finish the round then shut down my system and NAS to conserve power since it was not coming up soon and charging phones and tablets made more sense than my NAS at that point. Right now it reads 20 minutes of battery life with the load I have on it but once I shut down the NAS I think it adds 5 to 10 more minutes so I'm well set up.

For me I have been extremely pleased with this unit that has allowed me to shut down my stuff nicely during multiple outages and ridden through others seamlessly.
    Replacing the batteries was a bit of a pain but done in 15 minutes.

22. Ripskin

Ripskin [H]ard|Gawd

I'll hear the little fan on mine kick in every now and then if my PC is off and I'm under the desk, thats my warning that its probably time to add replacements to my shopping cart.