upres/downres on HTPC?

McG2k1

Limp Gawd
Most retail blu-ray and HD-DVD players support some type of hardware upresing of older DVD content, my question is whether or not an HTPC does this too. I assume it does but I don't know where in the process it happens, VMC, powerdvd or video card? and how good is it?

And also, if I take the HTPC to another room and connect it to an SD set via RCA does the software/hardware downres those HD sources to 480i? My toshiba HD-DVD retail player can do it, might be nice to do it from HTPC too.

McG

Most retail blu-ray and HD-DVD players support some type of hardware upresing of older DVD content, my question is whether or not an HTPC does this too. I assume it does but I don't know where in the process it happens, VMC, powerdvd or video card? and how good is it?

I am pretty certain this relies on the type of codecs/software you use... ie: Cyberlink PowerDVD. You would want to make sure you have a decent machine all around as well.

Yes is the answer, the quality of the upsizing is determined by the codecs and implementations used. I use FFDShow to upsize any videos which have a horizontal resolution of less than 1900, so basically anything which isnt 1080p gets upconverted. FFDshow is very powerfull and you can use thousands of different options to upconvert your videos, a good cpu will help here, as the more/complex filters you use the more cpu is used.

Heres a very basic guide on setting up FFDshow for DVDs and 3-4 examples of the difference from htpcnews.
http://www.htpcnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=132&Itemid=48&limit=1&limitstart=4

Heres a link to the AVS forum guides showing some more advanced methods
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=719041

As mentioned though, the amount of filters/settings you can use is almost limitless.

Yep there is a 64bit build at the sourceforge pages for it. It may however not be as stable/fast as the 32bit, i tried it sometime back and didnt get any problems though.

I'm talking about up/down resing in real time, not during a recompress.

I'm talking about up/down resing in real time, not during a recompress.

FFDshow is realtime, it only affects the output when the video is being played. Thats why you need to make sure you have a decent CPU depending on the amount of filters/options you wish to apply when your upsizing etc.

Back