Upload speeds are terrible

Iowabucks

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone. I have noticed for the last couple weeks my speedtest.net upload speeds are terrible.

I have 10 Mbps cable internet and speedtest tells me it's right on. But my 3 Mbps upload speeds are down to .20Mbps. Verified on a couple different sites. I have an Asus rt-ac66u wireless router, and my desktop is hardwired to it. My laptop and phone are wireless and show normal 3Mbps upload speeds. I just got the Asus wireless router, but the Linksys I had before show the exact same results.

I don't notice any changes in my internet unless I try to upload pictures to Photobucket or something like that. I do like to play some BF4 but don't notice any latency there.

Will slow upload speeds hurt my gaming experience?

Where do I need to start looking to figure out why this has slowed down?

The cable company should be able to do a few diagnostics over the phone even in the middle of the night. At first I was thinking, someone's on his network... but maybe they need to roll a truck out and jiggle a wire or something.

Slow uploads, within reason, shouldn't impact gaming. Of course there is a limit...

Not that at that rated upload speed would I think they would, but does your ISP throttle a lot? what time of day have you tested? Off peak times, like at 3am or something? Wouldn't explain why your wireless devices appear to show the proper rated speed vs. your desktop.

Did you try your ISP own speed test, did you check to see if there's any conflict between your router and modem. Did you upgrade the firmware on your router or modem? Unfortunately there's usually no quick fix, Good Luck.

if your 2 wireless devices show 3Mbps upload on speed test, but your desktop does not, then it's obviously not an issue with your internet connection.

Try plugging desktop directly into modem to verify. Try updating NIC drivers. Try different port on the router.

Power cycle the modem and try doing a speed test directly connected to the modem.

First thing I'd do is look for is new NIC drivers from Asus or if using the latest downgrade and see if any change.

Have you called your internet service provider to see if they show any problems on the line?

Looking into all these other things first makes no sense if your line is the problem and you cannot diagnose the line quality.

My ISP tells me there is nothing they see wrong with my router.

I think I may have figured out the problem, and it wasn't what I was expecting. While doing some research looking for NIC drivers or my motherboard I saw other people with the same board having similar problems. A motherboard utility called AI Suite II has been causing all sorts of problems with others. I thought what the heck and uninstalled it and surprisingly see my upload speeds back up to 3 Mbps where it should be. Just hope it stays fixed.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions and help. I learned a lot in the process too.

AI Suite II - Guess the developer didn't know what the letter I meant in A.I, even the second time around. :)

Back