Upgrading W10H to W10P, how likely is loss of settings/data?

Morlock

Limp Gawd
Aside from power loss during install, I mean. I've got a laptop on W10 home that is stuck in a pre-anniversary edition state, that I want to upgrade to W10 Pro (build 16299.64). Should I be worried about data loss? I need to keep my wifi settings and my browsers intact. If I should be worried, is there a free tool around that will let me just back up that stuff?

If I'm wrong, please correct me. But I don't think you can do an in place upgrade to convert it from Home to Pro. In the past that type of upgrade was prevented. On 10, you would first have to input the Pro product key to convert it to Pro, then do the Feature upgrade.

If you had a Pro ISO, after you do the key upgrade, you could mount the ISO then run setup from that to update it. I've done it before (the ISO part) and it works great for fast local Feature updates.

If I'm wrong, please correct me. But I don't think you can do an in place upgrade to convert it from Home to Pro. In the past that type of upgrade was prevented. On 10, you would first have to input the Pro product key to convert it to Pro, then do the Feature upgrade.

If you had a Pro ISO, after you do the key upgrade, you could mount the ISO then run setup from that to update it. I've done it before (the ISO part) and it works great for fast local Feature updates.
I believe you are correct. While you can do an in place upgrade from within the existing system, I don't believe you can use an ISO to upgrade.

I can't do a clean reinstall, either. The notebook (Acer Aspire One) won't recognize my boot USB (which is fine, I just installed W10 on my desktop with it), no matter what I do in the boot order of the BIOS.

Back