Upgrading Vista

Killroy

Gawd
So I am using Vista RC2 on my desktop as my only OS and the expiration date for it is nearing closer. Now, I have a copy of Vista Home Premium that I want to format and install temporarily (~1 month), without activating because I am eventually going to put it on another computer, until my copy of Vista Ultimate arrives from the school. So my question is, would it be alright to upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate or should I just go ahead and reformat and install afresh again?

If your Home Premium Disc is an anytime upgrade disc, just install it withoiut entering a key at all, windows will ask you if your sure, then ask you to select the product you bought, lie and say ultimate, and when your copy arrives, activate it and enter the new ultimate key.

Should work unless the universtiy gives you an OEM key, i belive OEM keys will not work on retail disc and you will have to reinstall.

Two questions you shopuld be asking, really.

One to ask yourself. Is that Home Premium a migrateable license? If it is you can put it on one machine now and then move it to another later.

The second question you've already asked and the answer is "Yes". It'll be fine to install Ultimate as an upgrade of your Home Premium installation. Won't cause any functional problems whatsoever.

The Home Premium disc is an upgrade from Dell and from what I've heard the copy of Ultimate will be an upgrade, but I won't know for sure until I get it.

Does saying it is Ultimate during the install really give you all of the functionality and extras that go along with Ultimate? If so, then I will definitely go that route.

Back