Upgrading (Virtualized) Windows XP to Windows 7

/rant/

Limp Gawd
I am currently thinking about thing suggested in the title of this post: Upgrading Windows XP to Windows 7 (if possible x64). The (virtual) machine is used for gaming only (older titles such as R6: Vegas or Anno 1404). My main motivation to do this is the updated driver model - and possibly a small performance boost that comes with that. The thing is that I don't wanna reinstall everything from ground up (no point in calling it an upgrade then, is there?).

From what I understand, there is no official DIRECT path from Windows XP to Windows 7. However, I read that it would be possible if I upgrade to Windows Vista first. Licenses are not an issue, I am a CS student and get everything for free.

Has anybody ever done multiple in-place upgrades, and how usable was the result after that?

If you're looking for a performance boost, don't do a multi-upgrade. Just do a clean install. And you absolutely cannot upgrade between x86 and x64, period.

You're saying upgrades screw up performance. Why is that? I figured the upgrade would just move the old files to the "Windows.old" folder - meaning I could easily just get rid of them using the clean-up function.

Anyhow, since Windows x86 variants are pretty much dead for me nowadays (I haven't used them since 2007 except in these VMs for old stuff) and I cannot upgrade to x64, I guess I'm gonna jump ship and do a clean setup of Windows 7 x64. It just takes so much time... :(

It's not possible to upgrade from x32 to x64. It is possible to upgrade from XP to Vista and then to 7, but why bother? This is a VM and if it's working then you're better off leaving it. Just create a new Windows 7 VM.

You're saying upgrades screw up performance. Why is that? I figured the upgrade would just move the old files to the "Windows.old" folder - meaning I could easily just get rid of them using the clean-up function.

Anyhow, since Windows x86 variants are pretty much dead for me nowadays (I haven't used them since 2007 except in these VMs for old stuff) and I cannot upgrade to x64, I guess I'm gonna jump ship and do a clean setup of Windows 7 x64. It just takes so much time... :(
Clean installs are fresh and performant. Upgrades leave cruft, be it old drivers, old registry settings, stuff apps had sitting around that isn't used anymore, etc., etc., etc.

Back