Upgrading to Win 7 64bit... Questions!

Duvi

n00b
I recently bought a laptop that came with windows 7, 64bit version installed. Been using it for about 3 weeks and love it. I've been having issues with programs installing on my desktop, using windows 7, 32bit. So I'm thinking, why not upgrade to 64bit. I have a couple of questions in regards to switching over.

On my laptop, depending on whether the program is 64bit ready or not, they'll either go to the x86 program file folder or the x64 program file folder. Is this a feature with windows and will be automatic with my desktop or was my laptop set up this way?

What are some issues I may run in to? Would the same 32bit drivers work if there aren't any 64bit versions?

Below are the specs to my PC. I now have a Logitech G5 Laser mouse and a Logitech mouse (unsure of the model). I also upgraded the memory to (2) 2GB DDR2 Corsair PC800 and a 1TB WD HD (Green). I tried to take some things that don't matter (manuals, unused software) out from the list.

Thanks in advance!

1 CC299 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII Display, Flat Panel Display, 19 1907FPC, Midnight Gray, Dell Americas Organization
1 DT240 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII Card, Graphics, 7300, Low Encryption, MRMGA10, 2 (NVIDIA)
1 GM152 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII Processor, E6400, 2.13, 2M Core Duo-Conroe, LONSDALE/LAVACA...
1 NJ131 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII INSTRUCTION..., DEVIATE CHAS L6 TO L5.5
1 UH650 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII Assembly, Floppy Drive, 1.44M Sony, CHASSIS 2005..., Black
1 T9112 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII Assembly, Cable, ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY ATTACHMENT PACKET INTERFACE..., Tank
1 JF495 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII Modem, V.92, Data Fax, Internal SON2, Lead Free, Dell Americas Organization
1 CN449 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII Assembly, DVD+/-RW..., Hitachi LG Data Storage, Serial ATA, Black
1 TM727 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII Hard Drive, 250G, S2, 7.2K, 8M Unleaded, Seagate-GLX
1 GH483 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII Assembly, Cable, FLEX-BAY TANK/MSMT
1 TH661 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII Assembly, Flash Storage Device Universal Serial Bus, Reader Half Height, Teac, Black
1 HX425 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII Kit, Software, Overpack, VHP32 A01, Digital Video Disk Drive England
1 CT016 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII ASSEMBLY..., CHASSIS..., DIMENSION..., V2, 9200/410, PWA INTEGRATED...
1 XP850 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII Assembly, Heatsink, Shroud, MATRIX TANK DESKTOP...

If you have problems with the 32 bit, 64 bit is not going to be a cure-all. You might be better off posting in the general software forum what the issues are and taking it from there.

On my laptop, depending on whether the program is 64bit ready or not, they'll either go to the x86 program file folder or the x64 program file folder. Is this a feature with windows and will be automatic with my desktop or was my laptop set up this way?
This is a Windows feature.

What are some issues I may run in to? Would the same 32bit drivers work if there aren't any 64bit versions?
32 bit drivers WILL NOT work on a 64bit system.

I recently bought a laptop that came with windows 7, 64bit version installed. Been using it for about 3 weeks and love it. I've been having issues with programs installing on my desktop, using windows 7, 32bit. So I'm thinking, why not upgrade to 64bit. I have a couple of questions in regards to switching over.
I've never heard of a situation where x64 is more compatible than 32 bit. Definitely look elsewhere to solve that problem, I can say with almost 100% confidence that your issue is not the version of your OS.
Don't worry about that. Those folders are simply just to keep track of your 64 bit programs and 32 bit programs. You can install 32 bit in Program Files and x64 in the X86 folder if you want. There's no difference. I've actually had to install 32 bit programs under Program Files in Vista/7 x64 because patches were hard coded to look there.
No. If it has Vista drivers for it's type (32/64 bit) you can use those. Vista drivers work great on Windows 7 (both OSes backbones are the same, using the same driver models). I actually use Vista x64 sound drivers on my Windows 7 x64 install because the sound quality is better when I enable the equalizer.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

The only reason I'm upgrading to 64bit is because my PC is really built for it, but since I didn't pay the extra $$$, they put 32bit home.

My main reason for upgrading is that either way, I know I'm going to need to reinstall windows.

I believe I know what my issue may be. I'm sorry I didn't mention it as I just realized thought about it. When I was upgrading my HD, my old HD crashed. The old HD had Vista. I retrieved all the media, program files and app data from the HD with a recovery program. I replaced my Program Files folder rather than reinstalling the apps/programs. This may or may not be the issue, but that's my best guest.

AIM 7 installs, but gives me an error when trying to login.

I will look into more of this when I get more from seeing my son... thanks again everyone. Keep the advice coming if there's more.

just make sure to backup everything.
When I reinstall I usually do a wipe of the drive just for extra um... cleanliness I guess. When I messed up my XP 32bit a few months ago, I didn't even bother trying to fix, went straight to 64bit Win 7. Wish I backed up my bookmarks tho

That was the main reason I didn't do clean installs. I mainly wanted my bookmarks and thought "heck, why not everything" ... Chrome bookmarks don't seems to map over. Safari did though.

That was the main reason I didn't do clean installs. I mainly wanted my bookmarks and thought "heck, why not everything" ... Chrome bookmarks don't seems to map over. Safari did though.

One solution that crosses the 32/64bit divide is to back up
using Windows Easy Transfer for things like documents, favorites,
music and the like with the 32bit system. Then restore that transfer
file back to your new 64bit system. Make sure you use the 32bit
disk of windows 7 to create the file.

You can also add in any custom folders there under the "advanced"
option.

Back