Upgrading to the 8700k after 7 years. Advice on this build please. $2,000+

Delatroy

n00b
Salvaging some parts from my current system to upgrade to the Z370 / 8700k that's coming soon. Want to pick up some parts in the meantime and wanted to get advice on the parts that I've selected.

Considering to buy new
CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K Six-Core Processor ($400.00)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1g Thermal Paste ($11.99)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z270-K ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($133.49)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($151.88)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($749.99)
Monitor: Acer - XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor ($799.00)
Keyboard: Filco - Ninja Majestouch-2 TKL Wired Standard Keyboard ($134.00)
Delid Kit: der8auer Delid Die Mate 2 + UHU Silicone + Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut ($72.00)
Total: $2,452

The selected Z270 board is a placeholder only. I don't intend to buy a super high end motherboard like the Rampage Extreme, etc. In my experience, the lower end of a line are generally as stable and provide 90% of the features that you end up using.

Salvaging from current system
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
SSD: Samsung - 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
SSD: Samsung - 840 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - VelociRaptor 1TB 3.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: be quiet! - Dark Base Pro 900 w/Window (Black) ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: OCZ - ZX 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Sound Card: Asus - Xonar DX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Audio: Objective2 and ODAC DAC & Amplifier
Headphones: Sennheiser - G4ME ZERO Black Headset
Mouse: Zowie - EC1-A Wired Optical Mouse
Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+ Slim Mousepad

Specifically, I'd love to get thoughts on the following:
  1. Best value recommendations for which 1080ti to buy?
  2. What 1440p 144hz+ monitor to get?
  3. What ram to get and is 3400mhz compared to 3000mhz worth it or not?
  4. What keyboard is better than my current (but worn) Filco - Ninja Majestouch-2?
  5. If the 7700k delid kit will work with the 8700k?
  6. Is the Xonar DX sound card is worth upgrading or not?
  7. Anything other parts I should consider buying? http://m.**********************.com/sfp/images/design/usr/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks in advance!

1) any AIB card with a good cooler will do as you dont have plans to watercool it i'm guessing.

2) no opinion

3) you can save some bucks here and get a 3000 kit, on intel platforms they don't generally benefit a large amount from having the fastest of the fast DDR4

4) I'm a fan of corsairs boards personally but i find keyboard pref to be a persons taste.

5) highly likely current delid tools will work with coffee lake the cpus are the same physical size as previous ones

6) i shelved my xonar dx for on board sound awhile ago but then again i'm also running Maximus boards so they have good on board sound, if theres some sort of feature you need out of the xonar DX i don't see why you couldn't just stick with using it if needed its not like theres been much of any groundbreaking improvements in sound card tech in well AGES.

1) any AIB card with a good cooler will do as you dont have plans to watercool it i'm guessing.

2) no opinion

3) you can save some bucks here and get a 3000 kit, on intel platforms they don't generally benefit a large amount from having the fastest of the fast DDR4

4) I'm a fan of corsairs boards personally but i find keyboard pref to be a persons taste.

5) highly likely current delid tools will work with coffee lake the cpus are the same physical size as previous ones

6) i shelved my xonar dx for on board sound awhile ago but then again i'm also running Maximus boards so they have good on board sound, if theres some sort of feature you need out of the xonar DX i don't see why you couldn't just stick with using it if needed its not like theres been much of any groundbreaking improvements in sound card tech in well AGES.

Thank you. Good tip on the ram! RAM seems like such a scam these days - timings, latency, ghz - all meaningless for Intel gamers.
You delid your 7700k? It was safe?
HTC Vive worth it?

Yep its delidded, i've delidded about 5 cpus in the past year with a rockit 88 tool, works great very easy to do. definately worth doing on kaby lake cpus as they run VERY hot overclocked without delidding.

Vive is a lot of fun if you have the space definitely worth it esp with the new lower prices (i bought mine used for about what they are going for new now)

I really like evga's 1080 ti with all the temp sensors, probably not really necessary but would have been cool. I water cooled my aorus 1080 ti but with its stock cooler it over clocked pretty well but still wish I would have payed a little more for evga

Has it been confirmed the Z270 boards will work with the new Intel 8th Gen CPUs?

Nothing's been confirmed other than October 5 being the likely release date for the processors and motherboards.

Most of the news that I've read seem to "confirm" that the Z370 chipet is "mandatory" for the Coffee Lake processors. (Yet, strangely, the socket remains LGA1151.)

I don't believe that we'll hear any new news until after Coffee Lake is available for sale.

I would look at one of the several 144hz 32" curves on Amazon for $350.

I see you're considering the 8700k @ $400. It should actually come in a bit lower on price but if you're budgeted that amount, the $400 then you might want to consider using the savings from the 32" 144" Monitor ( if you go that route ) to perhaps consider the Intel 7820x 8 Core CPU @ $549.

There are several different x299 boards that have reviewed very well that are in the $250 range.

I think that if you shuffle things around, think out of the box you could build one hell of a system for nearly the same money as a 8700k.

Here is an example.

I had a friend just build a $2,000 7700k system with a 1080 ti.

I built the same $2000 system but I built it using x299 and the 7820x. To keep under / at $2000 I had to to use the free 120gb SSD I got with one of the components from Newegg and yes that included the 1080 ti as well.

But that's something I am willing to do that a lot of people are not willing to do. You can build you a system with a tiny ssd / a lot less memory to meet a goal and then in the very near future revisit when you have additional funds.

Good luck.

Two recommendations

Buy a 256GB 960 evo NVME m.2. You'll like the 3200 mb/s read speeds for $125 as your OS drive.

Buy a EVGA 1080ti with the ICX cooler. I own 5 different models of 1080ti. The EVGA Black SC with ICX cooler is by far the best and coolest running (quietest). It beats a standard blower 1080ti by 20-25* C at the same overclockclock speed at 30% lower fan RPM. WAY better cooling solution. And just generally reeks of quality in every regards.

Has it been confirmed the Z270 boards will work with the new Intel 8th Gen CPUs?

he said he put that there as a placeholder. Z370 is required for coffee lake its even on the outside of the retail package stating as much.

There's almost nothing sequential in OS usage, random IOPS is what's important and any half decent SSD already has enough of those to not be a bottleneck. There will be practically zero difference in performance between said NVMe and any standard SSD for OS use.

There's almost nothing sequential in OS usage, random IOPS is what's important and any half decent SSD already has enough of those to not be a bottleneck. There will be practically zero difference in performance between said NVMe and any standard SSD for OS use.
IOPS is about six times that of a standard SSD on these 960 EVO NVME.

By that logic there's no reason for you to buy an I7. You should just buy a celeron. You'll never notice the difference when browsing the web.

Yes, there is no reason to buy an i7 if you plan on typing in Notepad faster. Boosting one spec while the bottleneck is in another won't bring you any gains. Shocker!

Actually, that's useless for a OS drive.

You're wrong. Here'a why.

Thing is. They aren't expensive. A 256GB NVME 960 EVO costs $125. In relation to total system cost, it's a small cost. In this system it's ~6% of budget. Why would you not --- unless you are strictly building a $500 budget system???

You're wrong. Here'a why.

Thing is. They aren't expensive. A 256GB NVME 960 EVO costs $125. In relation to total system cost, it's a small cost. In this system it's ~6% of budget. Why would you not --- unless you are strictly building a $500 budget system???

If aything, that video proves my point, but it doesn't really test OS usage.

It's still almost twice as expensive. I would rather buy double the space or a better GPU.

Last edited:
If aything, that video proves my point.
That's cause your wrong conclusion was already set. ;)

Video shows the difference in various activities. Any activity with multiple tasks simultaneously is going to speed up further. To me, it's worth it on a $2k build for the OS drive. Disk latency/speed is traditionally the biggest bottleneck on a system.

Maybe I've missed it, but only a sequential file copy test showed a difference.

If all you do is game, feel free to skip it.

The simple file copy test alone makes it warranted. Mix in multi tasking, burning a movie, unzipping a rar file, while playing a game, searching for a file, creating a video, running a backup, windows system restore automatically kicking off, virus scan kick off, multiple browser tabs, etc. If you are building a high performance machine for all around mixed use and ever do more than one or two things at once -- why not?

Yea major advantage of adds are the tiny random reads which is what speeds up the os. The sequential speed great for opening zip or rar files which always takes too long lol

Back