Upgrading to Quad or stay at Dual?

U guys can see my main rig in my sig, but i am going to SLi it with another 8800GTX and add 2 more gigs of ram. Is it worth an upgrade to a quad core from my core 2 duo or is it just a waste of money... which i think it is?

U guys can see my main rig in my sig, but i am going to SLi it with another 8800GTX and add 2 more gigs of ram. Is it worth an upgrade to a quad core from my core 2 duo or is it just a waste of money... which i think it is?

I'll tell you what. Why not wait for the other 8800 and ram, and if you're still having performance issues, then think about upgrading. IMO no point in upgrading just for upgrading. I upgrade when my components can't keep up to what ever I'm doing, not when another super duper cpu comes available and I want it even tho theres no problems with my current rig. I know some people just upgrade for the hell of it, and it's really just up to you. My opinion: whaste of money. I'll go quad when it's actually supported (in games) or if I get to something else that can make do of all 4 cores.

I would do what SuperKeijo says, but I doubt that you will have any perfomance issues. The only reason people are going for quads nw is because the performance decrease is so little when it comes to single core apps like games, yet there are four processors, so that multicore games will have a bigger advantage. I would upgrade next year.

your main rig is fine. You wont notice a huge gain in performance. If you can wait till Q4 07
then Ide upgrade then, if needed.

And having a total of 4gb ram is a waste of money . 2 Gb is perfectly fine.

I agree, and is gtx sli even worth it? 475 dollars for like what? 20 more frames over your already 60+?

I will probably be upgrading to quad as soon as I can afford it to be honest.

I went from a E6600 to a Q6600 and to tell you the truth, I can't tell a difference. Even encoding video, the E6600 encoded just as fast as this quad is. On the quad, it's not using all 4 cores at max, only about 40% each, if that.

I know I was able to OC my E6600 farther and with MUCH less heat.

I upgraded because I was replacing my other computer also and was just going to put the E6600 in it so, I was going to need a new CPU anyway.

I would wait for the newer quads and wait till games are out that you play that take advantage of it.

I'll tell you what. Why not wait for the other 8800 and ram, and if you're still having performance issues, then think about upgrading. IMO no point in upgrading just for upgrading. I upgrade when my components can't keep up to what ever I'm doing, not when another super duper cpu comes available and I want it even tho theres no problems with my current rig. I know some people just upgrade for the hell of it, and it's really just up to you. My opinion: whaste of money. I'll go quad when it's actually supported (in games) or if I get to something else that can make do of all 4 cores.

Excellent advice,grab the second 8800 and then see where you stand.

You don't really need to SLI a GTX... I don't think so there a game on the market yet that run under 30fps with the gtx and you have 20" so no point to get an other gtx for SLI. Its just a waste of power consumation at this point. But getting a quad core will be more interesting and 2gb ram if you need that much ram...

Back