Upgrading to nVidia's new graphics?

KickAssCop

[H]F Junkie
So who is upgrading to new cards? From which setup as well. Post away.
Wondering if I should do 980 SLi or not.

Upgrading is tempting, but generally my min criteria to upgrade is when I can get a single card that is faster (excluding $$$ boutique BS like the titan) than both of my existing cards together. I really have not seen anything that shows the 980 being faster than 680 SLI, especially not in the games that I play and the resolution that I play at. Combine that with the fact that all of the games I care about tend to be extremely CPU limited, even with a 2500k @ 5Ghz, I'd rather save, wait, and upgrade my CPU/Mobo when something worthy comes out.

Upgrading is tempting, but generally my min criteria to upgrade is when I can get a single card that is faster (excluding $$$ boutique BS like the titan) than both of my existing cards together. I really have not seen anything that shows the 980 being faster than 680 SLI, especially not in the games that I play and the resolution that I play at. Combine that with the fact that all of the games I care about tend to be extremely CPU limited, even with a 2500k @ 5Ghz, I'd rather save, wait, and upgrade my CPU/Mobo when something worthy comes out.

Your rig is similar to mine as well as your upgrade philosophy. I opted to grab a GTX 980 not really knowing if it is indeed faster than my 690. I figured falling a couple gens behind does affect resale so that is one of the reasons I pulled the trigger. Add in a few new "features" of Maxwell and I just felt it was time. I did consider 970 sli but I have grown accustomed to a one card setup. Maybe within my step up period, either a Ti version or dual gpu will launch and then I can move on.

I was ok with my single 660TI on a 1080p monitor then I bought a ASUS Rog Swift monitor....

now i'm waiting for my two EVGA 970s to arrive tomorrow. :)

My next upgrade will be when 20nm comes out. I went from a set of Titans in SLI to running Trifire (290x/295x2) and am very happy with the results, except the excessive heat and power draw. I never play favorites, and will gladly go from AMD to Nvidia and vice versa depending on price and performance.

I'm sidegrading to MSI GTX 970 Gaming OC. I can still get decent amoutn of € form my GTX 970 so I don't have to pay much. In turn I get card that has one gig more vram, produces less heat and noise. I really like the semi passive cooling. After all, my PC is mostly idling.

Waiting on AMD. Don't wanna get burned.

Wisdom. This one has seen the future through the reflections of the past. It's too bad other people forget so quickly all the previous generation releases.

There will be price cuts, or atleast some sort of competition.

AMD announcing something sept 25!!

^^^ This. Wait until the 25th. New videocards are coming. Twitter post by Roy of AMD said "Winston Churchill loved soldiers who grinned as they fought, much like him AMD relishes competition" he then went on to Tag @NvidiaGeforce and @AMDRadeon in that post and said "You aint seen nothing Yet! " He posted 09/25/2014 as the date

Going from a 680 to a 980. I'm on a 2-3 year cycle and it made perfect sense for me. I always want the best single-card solution and have been happy with Nvidia cards and drivers in the past.

if they had something major up their sleeves, why haven't we seen leaks yet?

AMD has gotten better and keeping things private. Also I don't think people were looking so hard for leaks from them with all the attention focussing on Nvidia and their Maxwell release a few days back. I think people just weren't paying attention.

Holding off on an upgrade until they use a process better than 28nm. I don't care if it's Nvidia's fault, TSMC's fault, Apple's fault for 'stealing' 20nm capacity, or anything else. I have no interest in the umpteenth card series on 28nm. Nvidia can take these cards and insert them directly into a very uncomfortable place.

I have sli 670s and I took the plunge got a 980, mine is coming tomorrow from amazon. I bought an EVGA because I think a 980ti might come after the AMD announcement but we will see.

I dont think I'll do SLI again, I just want a single card from here on out. I game at 2560x1440..

I have learned more framed dont mean more smoothness,

AMD has gotten better and keeping things private. Also I don't think people were looking so hard for leaks from them with all the attention focussing on Nvidia and their Maxwell release a few days back. I think people just weren't paying attention.

The only recent leak relating to amd was that cooling shroud picture, which signs point to being months away. If amd had something around the corner, leaks would be out in the wild by now (see r9 290 series).

It is just amd's typical lousy marketing.

The only recent leak relating to amd was that cooling shroud picture, which signs point to being months away. If amd had something around the corner, leaks would be out in the wild by now (see r9 290 series).

It is just amd's typical lousy marketing.

Do you check twitter by any chance. See this post by AMD

https://twitter.com/amd_roy/status/513467158316077057

Notice when speaking about competition he specifically tags @NvidiaGeforce & @AMDRadeon for that exciting reveal in a few days.

Keep in mind he's not tagging @intelCPU or anything else so that leads me to believe it's a GPU.

I have 680 SLI, on a 30" 2560x1600. I'm waiting...What I have is still insanely fast for most games.

Resist the temptation. Push prices down. Let AMD and Nvidia duke it out. :D

I have 680 SLI, on a 30" 2560x1600. I'm waiting...What I have is still insanely fast for most games.

Resist the temptation. Push prices down. Let AMD and Nvidia duke it out. :D

I am just excited for the bump in vram man. BF4 cant play at ultra with my SLI 670s

Do you check twitter by any chance. See this post by AMD

https://twitter.com/amd_roy/status/513467158316077057

Notice when speaking about competition he specifically tags @NvidiaGeforce & @AMDRadeon for that exciting reveal in a few days.

Keep in mind he's not tagging @intelCPU or anything else so that leads me to believe it's a GPU.

Could mean a lot of things, like newer gpu features etc. We will see I guess.

Me, I'd wait for the 20nm, but my mom needs a computer and I told her I'd give her this one, and build a new one.

It's been almost 4 years since I built a PC and my 580 and SSD are getting long in the tooth.

Me, I'd wait for the 20nm, but my mom needs a computer and I told her I'd give her this one, and build a new one.

It's been almost 4 years since I built a PC and my 580 and SSD are getting long in the tooth.

Are you currently playing GPU-intensive games? If not, IMO deal with onboard for now. I can play most of the games I've been into lately on my HD4600 onboard, though I'm not playing any particularly GPU-intensive games right now. I'll upgrade when they surpass 28nm. The only thing that can beat my impatience is my stubbornness. I refuse to buy 28nm unless it's dirt cheap. If my money isn't buying me improvements in process technology, why are they still charging >$500 for the high end? If TSMC hasn't given them major discounts on the super-old 28nm process by now, they should be shopping around for a new fab.

Are you currently playing GPU-intensive games? If not, IMO deal with onboard for now. I can play most of the games I've been into lately on my HD4600 onboard, though I'm not playing any particularly GPU-intensive games right now. I'll upgrade when they surpass 28nm. The only thing that can beat my impatience is my stubbornness. I refuse to buy 28nm unless it's dirt cheap. If my money isn't buying me improvements in process technology, why are they still charging >$500 for the high end? If TSMC hasn't given them major discounts on the super-old 28nm process by now, they should be shopping around for a new fab.

I do. Onboard would not cut it.

If 20nm is that much better, I have no problem selling the 900's and buying the 20nm.

I do. Onboard would not cut it.

If 20nm is that much better, I have no problem selling the 900's and buying the 20nm.

Technically your i5 2500k has onboard video built into the CPU so build yourself a new rig and bring the GTX 580 over and let your mom use the onboard intel video on the 2500k. Use the GTX 580 until your new card comes out. I see 20nm at the most 6 months away from now. Probably a little sooner. I'm not sure if at that time Nvidia and AMD will be delivering high end cards though. I think they will have a high end card war from now through Xmas. They will probably release some entry level-mid range stuff in Q1 2015 and have their new beast 20nm cards coming shortly after but who knows for sure.

I took the plunge got a 970 asus. Built a new rig from ground up so needed everything. Can always sell and get a 20nm when they arrive (who knows when that might be). Now all I Need is a monitor to go with it & mouse/keyboard...

Too little performance gain to justify an upgrade for me.
I will wait for the Titan II or the 16/20nm node.

I usually upgrade after 2 generations. So i am waiting for amd to release their GPUs the upcoming generation is the time to upgrade.

Double Post, I defer to the second iteration of this post below

Last edited:
How about we get a game worth upgrading for? lol

Y'know people keep saying that but there are a few games worth upgrading for coming soon.

Batman Arkham Knight
Battlefield Hardline
The Witcher 3
Assassins creed (Possibly 2 separate new games)
Borderlands the Pre-Sequel
The evil within
GTA V PC
Far Cry 4
Dragon Age Inquisition
RYSE Son of Rome
Call of Duty Adv Warfare
New Star Wars Battlefront
Mirrors Edge 2
Metal Gear Solid 5 Ground Zeros
F.E.A.R. Online
Saints Row Get out of Hell

I'll stop there as there are likely 5-8 games in this list alone that you will play.

i don't even follow RTS and MMO games and I know something is happening there.

860m in my laptop as much as i would love to go to new M series when they come out, if i could, cost would be too high.

Most of the games worth trying( MGS5, Battlefront,Batman) posted wont see the light of day until who knows when in 2015...The only one that could be cool is battlefront & we havent even seen much of anything on that. Played the hardline beta & it sucked. Theres nothing new being done with all the games on that list just better graphics, decent gameplay.

I'm currently on 670 SLI and very tempting to upgrade to 970 SLI, not sure if my 2600k will hold it back though. Any thoughts?

Back