Upgrading to a backlit keyboard?

Ashton

2[H]4U
I bought a new laptop and found out after the fact that the keyboard does not have back-lights. I know it will depend specifically on the laptop, but in general is it possible to upgrade a laptop that did NOT come standard with a backlit keyboard to one that IS backlit?

(for those wondering, the laptop in question is a Lenovo Ideapad Y570)

On a related note, I've read about cases where users installed black-light (UV?) LEDs and new keys that would react to the black-light and glow (among many other solutions to this) anyone have suggestions?

New member here, just wanted to input... I was able to successfully do it to my HP DV5 2135DX because it happened that HP used the same motherboard on several different models, and some of those models had a backlit keyboard. That's your easiest solution is to locate the manufacturer's service guide online and look at a diagram of your motherboard. I found my keyboard on eBay for around $50 and it was plug in and go. Good luck to you!

Easiest option is to do as Duderino suggested, check and see if your mobo is compatible. Otherwise, you will have to find a power source either by pulling it off of a USB port or soldering a connector to the motherboard.

Back