Upgrading to a 27" monitor from a 24" worth it?

mnewxcv

[H]F Junkie
I ask this because 27" LCD's have fallen into the affordable range. Is it worth it to step up to a 27" screen from a 24"? Both 1080p. Assume all variables are the same so we are really talking about the screen size. It would be for general use, internet, docs, gaming, etc. One thing I can say though is I miss my 16:10 24" screens. They felt bigger somehow. Maybe a 27" would satisfy what I'm missing?

The difference in screen size is definitely appreciable but I'd strongly recommend at least getting a 1440p monitor for 27 inch. 1080p @ 27 inch just doesn't look very good honestly. And for general use you will absolutely love the extra pixels!

It depends how close you sit to it. If it's only a few inches there isn't much point. If you sit further away, it will be better for games and videos. Pretty much exactly the same for office work because what you really want there is screen real estate and you're not getting any more of that.

16:10 24" is fine as well. but yea a 27" 16:9 is better than 24" 16:9 because of the vertical pixels.

Is there a huge difference between 1440p and 1080p? I'm debating as well on wether to take the jump...still waiting for ips with gsync tho

Is there a huge difference between 1440p and 1080p? I'm debating as well on wether to take the jump...still waiting for ips with gsync tho

Yep, I went from 27 1080p to 27 1440p and the jump was well worth it.
Now 1440p is my standard and 4k/5k etc is special. I wouldn't touch 1080p in 2015 though. Too many other options.

Then Acer has you covered with the XB270HU. 27 inch, 1440p, 144hz, gsync, and IPS all in one package

No info on that yet. But Asus also has something similar except it's freesync and not gsync if that matters. Supposely launching Q1 with an MSRP of $599...but after what happened with the PG278Q I highly doubt they'll keep their word on Q1.

1080p on 27" looks absolutely fine after you adjust to it.

If you need the extra real estate 1440p is the way to go. Once I got used to 1440p monitors, 1080p seems cramped. I guess it all depends on how you use the space.

That acer sounds to good to be true. Well I own a nvidia 970 so I would want to go with sync..any idea if the acer with be the Asus killer

That acer sounds to good to be true. Well I own a nvidia 970 so I would want to go with sync..any idea if the acer with be the Asus killer

Hard to say right now but it looks like they will more or less perform identically. Although what's odd is that the Asus MG279Q supposely has a max refresh rate of 120hz and not 144hz like the Acer. The Acer will for sure be more expensive due to g sync though.

Honestly, I would highly highly recommend a 32" 1440p. There are several out there.

There is a very highly rated HP 32" Envy 1440p for $449 on Amazon.

I think you can answer your own question ... and that is, how many inches diag will I gain? The answer, about 3" or less. Now, hold up your pinky, that's close to 3" .... it's such a small upgrade, why do it?

Back