Upgrading to 980ti, question about DX12 and an older card.

Mister E

2[H]4U
I'm going to purchase an EVGA 980ti for my 4k monitor. Is there any reason to keep my original EVGA GTX 670 FTW card and sell the second one to recoup some cost for DX12? Should I keep an older card for off loading certain game processes in the future under DX12 and optimized games? Sell them both and not look back? This will be my last upgrade for the rig in sig.

By the time we start seeing large numbers of properly built DX12 games that 670 will be well beyond useful, sell it.

I doubt we will ever see games utilize different GPUs together on a large scale. Just sell it, it's going to be useless.

I'm going to purchase an EVGA 980ti for my 4k monitor. Is there any reason to keep my original EVGA GTX 670 FTW card and sell the second one to recoup some cost for DX12? Should I keep an older card for off loading certain game processes in the future under DX12 and optimized games? Sell them both and not look back? This will be my last upgrade for the rig in sig.

PhysX card?

PhysX card?

PhysX yes, but I play very few games that could utilize it. Shame. I would love to hear, "Yes, save that card to augment your 980ti in upcoming titles!"

The more I read the less I'm convinced my old card(s) can do squat in the near future under Windows 10 and DX12.

A few months back I was very excited. :(

If splitting processes off from a much faster GPU to a much slower GPU was presented, I've missed it. I thought all that was about DX12 splitting CPU processes to the GPU, and I thought most games were GPU bound. I could be wrong on all this.

I thought I read articles which stated that older GPU's could be used to off load certain effects like post processing and the like, to an older or alternate GPU for increased performance. I may be mistaken. At this point I'm thinking sell 'both' older GPUs now to someone who can use them and upgrade to the single 980ti.

It comes down to what Kor said either way. Sell them while you can still get some cash for them. I just don't see any future where you regret selling them.

I bought 3 670s for LAN machines for $75 a piece over the last month in For Sale/Trade if that is at all useful info.

Back