Upgrading to 1090T from Q9550?

fullvietFX

[H]ard|Gawd
I found a good deal for the 1090T, Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7, and 8GB G.Skill DD3. Do you think it's worth it upgrading from my Q9550?

For gaming no but if you do cpu intensive encoding alot then yes.

I think the new cpu's from amd are going to be a new socket so that will pretty much be it for am3 platform(from what i've heard), so your choice.

I thought it was a righteous upgrade when I moved from my Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz to my 1090T @ 4Ghz. I do a lot of CPU intensive stuff and gaming-wise I saw a bit of a performance jump.

I found a good deal for the 1090T, Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7, and 8GB G.Skill DD3. Do you think it's worth it upgrading from my Q9550?

If you are running your Q9550 at 3.8GHz as in your sig my answer is no. If you run the Q9550 at stock I would say yes.

if you have any applications that will take advantage yes.....however gaming wise it will be near similar

I mostly play games, I can do this upgrade for $180CND. Yes I am running my Q9550 at 3.8GHz. However I was planning to overclock the 1090T to at least 4GHz.

Even at 4 ghz your just not going to see that much on games. The upgrade would be parallel in most case at best.

Even at 4 ghz your just not going to see that much on games. The upgrade would be parallel in most case at best.

Alright guess it's not worth it. I just had an itch to put together some parts and this seemed like a good deal with selling my parts to cover some of the costs. Good thing I made this thread so I won't be throwing my money away. Thanks guys. ;)

well how much does the guy want?

if overall its $50(note this is arbitrary and honestly for $100 i would still do it) out of pocket i would say worth it since in the future games are heading towards multi threaded

For purely gaming, its not worth it IMO.
Is the max overclock of that Q9950 3.8ghz?? With more cooling you should surely be able to reach 4-4.2ghz...

It would be a good theoretical upgrade, but not a difference you would notice in any normal workloads. The only benefit is the extra two cores. Per core, these are probably comparable.

Even overclocked that 1090T will not compete with the Q9550 as far as gaming is concerned. Like others stated if you do alot of multitasking then yes you will see a difference.

I am mostly a gamer and things felt snappier for me going from a Q6600 to a 1090T.

With a q9550 oc'd to 3.8, and the possibility of the 1090 not overclocking like you'd hoped (which can happen) I would invest that cash in a pair of 60 to 80gb ssd's and run them in raid 0. that would be the greatest improvement right now.

The above poster had the best idea of upgrading to a ssd. That would improve your speed as I have experienced the speed of an ssd. I would wait until Intel comes out with their next line of cpus and then upgrade.

Well I waited until Black Friday. Price didn't drop any further but the i5-760 dropped below the PII X6-1055T in price. I'm guessing since Sandy Bridge is so close, New Egg is eliminating overstock, but it was just too good a price to pass.

Back