Upgrading the ISK 110's PSU?

dqle

n00b
I've always been intrigued by making a reasonably powerful PC in a small package. Being a fanboy of AMD ever since I started building computers, I knew I had to build a HTPC when AMD announced their APUs back in 2011. Also being an Antec lover, I was glad to find out that they made the ISK 110. Alas, funds were short until now!

My plan is to use an A10-7850k processor, but seeing that the 110's PSU is woefully underpowered, I know that a replacement was in order. I scoured the web and these forums to figure out how to take on the mods required, but there's just about no information about that! The 160-XT PicoPSU caught my eye, but I wondered how it all worked out for all of you guys who made the change: did you simply replace the built connector with the one that's included with the PicoPSU, or did you go for the additional 4-DIN pinout for the larger power bricks? In either case, how would one go about modding the case to make sure the connection fits? (cutting/drilling into plastic, metal, etc.)

It looks like the ISK 110 simply has a hole for the connector in this picture:
7143582705_b092fd3bc7_b.jpg

I would just get something non-permanent to hold it in place such as a small piece of cardboard or plastic with a hole cut in it for the connector plus double-sided 3M tape.

It looks like the ISK 110 simply has a hole for the connector in this picture:
7143582705_b092fd3bc7_b.jpg

I would just get something non-permanent to hold it in place such as a small piece of cardboard or plastic with a hole cut in it for the connector plus double-sided 3M tape.
Huh. Assuming I'm looking at that right, the stock connector should be in the very corner of the case, facing left. If that's the case, the connector seems to be attached to the right (top if vertical) of the case, where there is a vent. There's no pre-cut hole there, so I assume that builder made one.

Ah, I was hoping to mess around with the stock slot instead of making a new hole.

The pico PSU comes with an internal part. might be need for some modding to make it fit? But I would first have tried the stock PSU it might just work if u skip running Furmak and Prime95 . U can also go on Ebay, they probably have a 19V 120W brick that u just replace the original with. ( Im on the ISK 110 now :) )

The pico PSU comes with an internal part. might be need for some modding to make it fit? But I would first have tried the stock PSU it might just work if u skip running Furmak and Prime95 . U can also go on Ebay, they probably have a 19V 120W brick that u just replace the original with. ( Im on the ISK 110 now :) )
I like this suggestion, but will this be enough for a 95W processor?

Its hard to say, it all depends on how much power the APU really uses during gaming :)

but when we where modding the ISK 300 we changed the powerbrick. its in a tread in this forum somewhere. it was my tread if i remeber.

I'd be a little worried about it booting up. I think 65w is as far as I'd try without switching out the PSU. IIRC on the 110 it is actually an 80w board with a 90w brick.

If you try this, I'd be very curious to see what modding you had to do. I was pondering doing something with a 65w Richland chip a year ago in an unmodded 110 but never got around to it. I'd love to try the top Kaveri chip instead. I read somewhere that the Pico adapter was bigger than the hole in the case, so theoretically all you need to do is make that hole bigger, assuming the Pico board fits in there.

I'd be a little worried about it booting up. I think 65w is as far as I'd try without switching out the PSU. IIRC on the 110 it is actually an 80w board with a 90w brick.

If you try this, I'd be very curious to see what modding you had to do. I was pondering doing something with a 65w Richland chip a year ago in an unmodded 110 but never got around to it. I'd love to try the top Kaveri chip instead. I read somewhere that the Pico adapter was bigger than the hole in the case, so theoretically all you need to do is make that hole bigger, assuming the Pico board fits in there.
From what I've searched around the forum and elsewhere, the Pico's adapter is indeed bigger than the stock, hence my asking what would be necessary to make sure it fits! (the adapter a bigger power brick comes with is even larger!)

And there's no worry about the Pico PSU not fitting; it sticks up a little over half an inch from the board itself!

has anyone successfully modded the ISK 110? I would like a damn pico psu, or better power board in here, just in case i would want to uprade.

There's a square hole in the plastic part of the case for the power brick connector I'm sure could be modded, but there's a case very close to the same dimensions made by a forum member just for Pico PSUs, the Lone Industries L1, or slightly bigger L2(graphic card support). Love mine, went from a Node 304 down to less than 5L.

Original thread with some builds
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1744487

https://loneindustries.com/

has anyone successfully modded the ISK 110? I would like a damn pico psu, or better power board in here, just in case i would want to uprade.

i have, i had a 160XT with a 200W brick with mine for ages.

initially i had a 5800k running in it and now a 7850k.

I'm trying to throw in a AMD R250 as part of the ISK as well but running into getting hybrid to work wall

my old build with the 5800k
http://www.overclock.net/t/1300645/official-usff-sff-club/30#post_19368423

one thing i can assure you is that he stock pico will not sustain the 7850k even underclocked or set target TDP to 45w under gaming load, other then that it will run. i wished it did sustain under gaming load though. totally ruined my plans of an external 270x attached to it via a 200w brick as i didnt want to buy another 200w brick but i ended up buying a 250 instead

Last edited:
Back