Upgrading Radeon HD6570 in older system

metropole

Limp Gawd
I have a Windows Media Center PC that Like to nurse along a bit longer.
I am using a Radeon HS6570. There is a know problem with ATI when fast forwarding TV that it can lock up. Apparently, nvidia doesn't have the issue.

I have a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-EP45-UD3P-rev-11#ov

So, I believe my best socket is 2 PCI-E 2.0 x16.

My current card:
HIS H657H1G
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/his-hd-6570-silence-1-gb.b922

Ideally, I could also lower power usage (heat) while upgrading. No gaming, recent win7 drivers, DVI and VGA port, silent card (fanless)

What is my best choice?

A GT 730 or 710? Or do newer cards fit into my slot?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

What are you doing with this system, that should heavily load your GPU, if you're not playing games?

If all you need is normal 1080p desktop usage you should be fine with entry-level Kepler.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
4K video playback, if you're concerned about that, leans more heavily on the CPU. My work PC with an i3-4130 using the IGP has no issues whatsoever with 4K video playback. Maybe you should first look at upgrading the CPU/Mobo/RAM first with something at least from the Haswell generation (which still uses DDR3).

No 4k. I have the Ceton tuner which is HD. 4k discs woudl be great, but seems like hard to rent.
My purpose is simply to extend life of box for another year before cable as we know will likely end. Just want to fix the skip issue.

No 4k. I have the Ceton tuner which is HD. 4k discs woudl be great, but seems like hard to rent.
My purpose is simply to extend life of box for another year before cable as we know will likely end. Just want to fix the skip issue.

Then you'll be fine.

The 710 will be a lot cooler and use much Les power. If you are not gaming you don't need it to be faster. If you want to stick with AMD then get the radeon-r7-240
If you want to play minecraft then get the GForce 730 ☺

Is there a huge difference between different OEM brands: MSI, ASUS, Zotac, Gigabyte,...?

Is there a huge difference between different OEM brands: MSI, ASUS, Zotac, Gigabyte,...?

At the bottom end that you're looking at I would have to say no difference. Those types of cards are made as cheaply as possible.

Back