Upgrading.. Possibly to a 1055T, have some questions about how to OC

SaViOr-

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys I will be upgrading my 955 to a X6 pretty soon here. I had my eye on the 1090T since its BE and would be easy to OC, but I got a pretty good offer on a 1055T that I might take and wanted to know what the best way to overclock it would be.

I have done some overclocking in the past, but all of the chips that I have oc'd were black editions (555 unlocked to x4 and my 955) so I dont know how the more traditional method of overclocking works. Would it be difficult for a beginner like myself to figure out or am i better off getting the 1090 with unlocked multi?

PC Specs are in sig. Thanks in advance for any and all comments/suggestions :D

damit, sniped...

ya, that guide is a great way to get started, in a nutshell you just raise the frequency, rather than the multi....

What do you use the computer for? Because having just built a machine for a customer with one of those, the real world difference is pretty much absolutely nothing compared to a X4 in anything I could test/observe

What do you use the computer for? Because having just built a machine for a customer with one of those, the real world difference is pretty much absolutely nothing compared to a X4 in anything I could test/observe

Mainly gaming and the only game I play right now is Bad Company 2. My brother is running my old x2 555 and wants to upgrade to x4, so I will get myself a x6 and sell him the x4 and try to sell the x2 on the forums. Overall the upgrade should only cost me ~40-50 if I get a 1090T or I will make about $50 out of the deal if i go with a 1055 :cool: . Figured might as well go with an x6 if he wants my 955 for his pc.

i played BC2 on my new 1055T and it didn't use over %60 at any busy time, playing at 1920 x 1080 on a 5850 with 4xAA and 4xAF.

if you can get a good price, go for it, i got a 1055T cause i do a million things at once.

1055Ts aren't too difficult to OC. you can get 800Mhz out of them without changing a voltage. It could get a little more difficult when you get closer to 4+. It will depend on your chip mostly at that point.

There are some people who have gotten to 4Ghz, with only a minor bump up in core voltage. To those that don't, there are just a few more variables to play with.

I wouldn't worry. just get good cooling. I need to upgrade mine, as it can't handle a high OC.

I just bought one of these and they're right, the 1055t is a beast. I haven't overclocked mine, but I was playing the FFXIV beta at 30-40% CPU utilization. That game made my old E6600 work! I've only ever overclocked with the multiplier once (ATHL 2500+ I think) so I can say that overclocking with a locked multiplier isn't too rough.

That 95w version is probably nicer, but I Just undervolted my 125w to around 1.2v and it's handling fine.

I have the Dark Knight S1283V for the hsf in addition to 7 120mm on my CM690 case :D. I'll do a little more research tomorrow on overclocking and stuff before I make my purchase, but I will have a X6 next week one way or another lol.

Thanks to everyone who has shared their thoughts and commented on my thread. Really appreciate it!

Ya get the Tiger Direct 95W version then. That will give you better overclocks and you don't need a stock fan anyway.

(Heh maybe all this talk about Tiger Direct will get AMD to get the OEM 95W version on newegg as they have a bunch of other OEMs there already)

Yeah, I'm hoping by the time Santa puts his boots on the prices of the 1055T will be a bit lower.
My old AM2+ Phenom is targeted for a work system and I want to up grade but waiting to see what the pricing does in the next few months.

Back