Upgrading.. Possibly to a 1055T, have some questions about how to OC

SaViOr-

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys I will be upgrading my 955 to a X6 pretty soon here. I had my eye on the 1090T since its BE and would be easy to OC, but I got a pretty good offer on a 1055T that I might take and wanted to know what the best way to overclock it would be.

I have done some overclocking in the past, but all of the chips that I have oc'd were black editions (555 unlocked to x4 and my 955) so I dont know how the more traditional method of overclocking works. Would it be difficult for a beginner like myself to figure out or am i better off getting the 1090 with unlocked multi?

PC Specs are in sig. Thanks in advance for any and all comments/suggestions :D

W.Feather

[H]ard DCOTM x4
damit, sniped...

ya, that guide is a great way to get started, in a nutshell you just raise the frequency, rather than the multi....

QuiteSufficient

Sufficiently [H]ard
What do you use the computer for? Because having just built a machine for a customer with one of those, the real world difference is pretty much absolutely nothing compared to a X4 in anything I could test/observe

SaViOr-

[H]ard|Gawd
What do you use the computer for? Because having just built a machine for a customer with one of those, the real world difference is pretty much absolutely nothing compared to a X4 in anything I could test/observe

Mainly gaming and the only game I play right now is Bad Company 2. My brother is running my old x2 555 and wants to upgrade to x4, so I will get myself a x6 and sell him the x4 and try to sell the x2 on the forums. Overall the upgrade should only cost me ~40-50 if I get a 1090T or I will make about $50 out of the deal if i go with a 1055 :cool: . Figured might as well go with an x6 if he wants my 955 for his pc.

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
i played BC2 on my new 1055T and it didn't use over %60 at any busy time, playing at 1920 x 1080 on a 5850 with 4xAA and 4xAF.

if you can get a good price, go for it, i got a 1055T cause i do a million things at once.

MISMCSA

2[H]4U
1055Ts aren't too difficult to OC. you can get 800Mhz out of them without changing a voltage. It could get a little more difficult when you get closer to 4+. It will depend on your chip mostly at that point.

There are some people who have gotten to 4Ghz, with only a minor bump up in core voltage. To those that don't, there are just a few more variables to play with.

I wouldn't worry. just get good cooling. I need to upgrade mine, as it can't handle a high OC.

Kuromizu

Gawd
I just bought one of these and they're right, the 1055t is a beast. I haven't overclocked mine, but I was playing the FFXIV beta at 30-40% CPU utilization. That game made my old E6600 work! I've only ever overclocked with the multiplier once (ATHL 2500+ I think) so I can say that overclocking with a locked multiplier isn't too rough.

Kuromizu

Gawd
That 95w version is probably nicer, but I Just undervolted my 125w to around 1.2v and it's handling fine.

SaViOr-

[H]ard|Gawd
I have the Dark Knight S1283V for the hsf in addition to 7 120mm on my CM690 case :D. I'll do a little more research tomorrow on overclocking and stuff before I make my purchase, but I will have a X6 next week one way or another lol.

Thanks to everyone who has shared their thoughts and commented on my thread. Really appreciate it!

Zachstar

[H]ard|Gawd
Ya get the Tiger Direct 95W version then. That will give you better overclocks and you don't need a stock fan anyway.

(Heh maybe all this talk about Tiger Direct will get AMD to get the OEM 95W version on newegg as they have a bunch of other OEMs there already)

Dr. Righteous

2[H]4U
Yeah, I'm hoping by the time Santa puts his boots on the prices of the 1055T will be a bit lower.
My old AM2+ Phenom is targeted for a work system and I want to up grade but waiting to see what the pricing does in the next few months.