Upgrading PC to Dual Core

Oompa

Limp Gawd
I have a computer running an AMD Athlon 3200+, and am going to put an Opteron 165 in it. Do I need to do anything special with XP for full support of the second core? I've heard some stuff about a Dual Core optimizer, but couldn't find anything about it on the AMD Opteron webpage.

You can find the Dual Core Optimizer here, the third option down. It helped smooth out some wonky performance issues when I got my X2.

Best way to check if Windows enabled dual core is to bring up task manager and see if it shows two graphs for cpu with usage percentage changing. If it does, you're fine. If not. google is your best friend next to reinstalling Windows

Should work fine. I've done several single>dual upgrades and never had a problem.

Best way to check if Windows enabled dual core is to bring up task manager and see if it shows two graphs for cpu with usage percentage changing. If it does, you're fine. If not. google is your best friend next to reinstalling Windows

You don't have to necessarily reinstall windows, there are a couple of work arounds as he said google is your best friend for those ;)

Hopefully it will work fine from the get go, and you should install the DC optimizer.

If you do a google search, you will probably end up trying 3 or 4 things before you find the one that works.

Here is a copy that I put together with both the 64-bit and 32-bit multiprocessor HAL.

http://www.mediafire.com/?qzm9cwyfzbz

Run set32-bit.bat and then upgrade.bat for 32-bit XP
Run set64-bit.bat and then upgrade.bat for 64-bit XP.

Back