Upgrading my Sandy Bridge, for what? When?

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
Hi,
I own the system in signature.

I7 2600 @ 4.2GHz with a GTX580 SLI.

I want to buy a similar configuration in the near future, a high end middle tier CPU with high end graphic cards.

There is no reason to buy Devil's Canyon plus GTX780 Ti for me since I play at 1920x1200 and my rig is good enough for that resolution but I know that my rig is becaming old and I want to be ready for the future titles.

I would like to wait for Skylake, PCI Exp 4 and DDR4 but how much should I wait for it?
Will we see the I72600 equivalent for 2015 summer?

I would like to buy six or more cores but I don't like the intel policy.
New cores comes on 4 cores cpu before than 6/8 cores CPUs.

I prefer a more powerfull core than a CPU with more core.
So generally I prefer a newer 4 core CPU than an older 6 core CPU.
The E series don't attract me a lot, more cost, not much benefit for me.

Will we see the I72600 equivalent for 2015 summer?

I assume you mean improvement over the i7 2600 K since all i7s since the 2600K were at least as good but not much better.

I do not believe this will happen till at minimum 2016. I believe the problem is in the silicon and since AMD has a similar problem with their silicon with less chance of fixing it Intel does not have to push this and in either case both are working harder to lower power consumption for tablets instead of making a better CPU for the 1% of us.

I assume you mean improvement over the i7 2600 K since all i7s since the 2600K were at least as good but not much better.

I do not believe this will happen till at minimum 2016. I believe the problem is in the silicon and since AMD has a similar problem with their silicon with less chance of fixing it Intel does not have to push this and in either case both are working harder to lower power consumption for tablets instead of making a better CPU for the 1% of us.

DDR4 could bring a wider improvements over actual CPUs, and PCI Exp 3 or more will be definitely a must have for future graphic cards, so I would like to buy skylake for this reason.

Eh. Just stay put. PCIe3 hasn't shown any real gains (nor have PCIe2 over PCIe1, for that matter; all at x16), DDR4 is going to mostly be on par with DDR3 (except for cost, that will be higher) for the first year or so.

IMO, wait it out, unless if you really don't like your setup.

Get a pair of 780ti or 290x and dont bother with cpu upgrade. Fronm the test, for gaming rig the difference between 4790k and 2500k is 6 fps. Unless You really need m2 SSD, more sata ports or usb 3.0, then You should upgrade. If not, then moar gains in gaming will be Achieved by buying new set of GPUs

Why do people expect DDR4 to bring improvements to anything but APUs? Anything beyond DDR3 1600 brings miniscule benefits currently.

Why do people expect DDR4 to bring improvements to anything but APUs? Anything beyond DDR3 1600 brings miniscule benefits currently.

I hope that newer architecture could push memory better than the actual one.

Get a pair of 780ti or 290x and dont bother with cpu upgrade. Fronm the test, for gaming rig the difference between 4790k and 2500k is 6 fps. Unless You really need m2 SSD, more sata ports or usb 3.0, then You should upgrade. If not, then moar gains in gaming will be Achieved by buying new set of GPUs

it could be an option.
what about waiting GTX880 series? do you know when it will be out?

do you think that a 2600 is able to push two GTX880 on PCI Exp 2 8x/8x lanes?

it could be an option.
what about waiting GTX880 series? do you know when it will be out?

do you think that a 2600 is able to push two GTX880 on PCI Exp 2 8x/8x lanes?

As that is all an "on paper" situation, nobody knows what it will actually do.

I am still good on an x58 platform. Things have slowed down from the mid 90's to mid 00's when massive performance leaps were made every year. I notice a large performance difference when working with 1366 vs 2011 servers in certain applications, but at a desktop level, you can barely notice any performance bump at all.

I'm in a similar boat. This has to be the longest I have gone without a need to upgrade.

I have a i5-2500 CPU, with 8 gigs of ram, 580GTX.

Is there really any reason to upgrade my i5-2500?

sounds like you answered your own question and just have an itch to upgrade for the sake of upgrading.

Stick it out with the 2600K. I'm going to hold my 2500K for at least another year before I demote it to a secondary system. Early DDR4 likely won't be a huge upgrade and your [email protected] isn't going to really hold you back gaming or otherwise. I have the itch too since I've had the same machine for over 3 years now, but the benefit for the cost just isn't there.

If you're patient, and in my honest opinion, skip Haswell Devil's Canyon and Broadwell.

You then have two choices, but one is already eliminated since you want a mid-tier Intel replacement. That rules out Haswell-E unless the Core i7 5820K actually comes in under $400.

The next logical upgrade for a user like yourself would have to be Skylake in late 2015 to first half 2016. DDR4, Thunderbolt 3.0 and 20 lanes of PCI-E 3.0 will be supported from the get-go. (PCI-E 4.0 is apparently only for Skylake-E series.) New socket 1151 and 100-series (Z107) Intel chipsets will be used for the processor.

Again, you'll have to be patient. The first Broadwell (embedded) are supposedly first releasing this Holiday season. Broadwell (non-embedded) is supposedly 1Q 2015, and thus pushes Skylake in 2016 very likely. With AMD as a non-competitor until they release Excavator and their new architecture in 2015-2016 timeframe, and the majority of PC users still on older processors like yours, [significant] innovation in IPC gains are slow-going. A lot of the improvements nowadays from Intel is going into power efficiency and temperature of the processors, and improving embedded graphics since the name of the game these days are mobile devices and ultrabooks.

If you're patient, and in my honest opinion, skip Haswell Devil's Canyon and Broadwell.

You then have two choices, but one is already eliminated since you want a mid-tier Intel replacement. That rules out Haswell-E unless the Core i7 5820K actually comes in under $400.

The next logical upgrade for a user like yourself would have to be Skylake in late 2015 to first half 2016. DDR4, Thunderbolt 3.0 and 20 lanes of PCI-E 3.0 will be supported from the get-go. (PCI-E 4.0 is apparently only for Skylake-E series.) New socket 1151 and 100-series (Z107) Intel chipsets will be used for the processor.

Again, you'll have to be patient. The first Broadwell (embedded) are supposedly first releasing this Holiday season. Broadwell (non-embedded) is supposedly 1Q 2015, and thus pushes Skylake in 2016 very likely. With AMD as a non-competitor until they release Excavator and their new architecture in 2015-2016 timeframe, and the majority of PC users still on older processors like yours, [significant] innovation in IPC gains are slow-going. A lot of the improvements nowadays from Intel is going into power efficiency and temperature of the processors, and improving embedded graphics since the name of the game these days are mobile devices and ultrabooks.

I will see how GTX880 series will behave.
If my i7 with PCI Expr 2 8x/8x is able to support a GTX880SLI without too much problem, I will upgrade only the cards, waiting for the next big jump in CPU architecture, in this case, I could wait 2016 without too problem.

If my 2600 isn't able to push two GTX880, I have some problems :D

Thank you. Broadwell's Iris Pro 5100 will supposedly double the performance of HD 4600 and still use DDR3. Do you think there will be a new generation of mobos for Broadwell next year?

Thank you. Broadwell's Iris Pro 5100 will supposedly double the performance of HD 4600 and still use DDR3. Do you think there will be a new generation of mobos for Broadwell next year?

Desktop Broadwell works on x97

Yup, non-embedded Broadwell (non-K and K) versions will work on existing Z97 boards. This is similar to how 32nm SB and 22nm IVB were supported on Z77 boards before Haswell came out. The only new boards with new chipsets are for the embedded Broadwell chips-- HM86, HM87, QM87, a new HM97 and PCH-LP (mobile and NUC) chipset. No new chipset is planned until Skylake because of the DDR4 memory support.

Broadwell will come in two flavors-- embedded in SoC and non-SoC form; and non-embedded.

All Broadwell chips (embedded and non-embedded) will have some version of Iris and Iris Pro graphics embedded-- GT1, GT2, GT3, or GT3e (128MB eDRAM version). The Iris Pro 5200 (GT3e) is the fastest so far, equivalent to a Nvidia GT 750M (DDR3 RAM).

So, there'll be newer boards based on Z97 coming out and BIOS updates to support the newer 14nm Broadwell processors.

I'm upgrading (side grading?) my sweet 2600k that does 4.8ghz 24/7 to 4790k.
This is driven mostly by my need for a batter motherboard with better spaced out PCIE due to my gellid coolers (.5" of space between cards is not enough for gellid) The M.2 will be nice if i see any decent ssds comming out on in that format. 8x sata 3.0 is nice upgrade for me as well.
I doubt the 4790k will be any faster then my 2600k.
SO i ended up going with asus z97ws, no more cheaping out on motherboards for me.

really don't know what to do.
A new GTX880 SLI seems too much on my i7 2600 8x/8x PCI Exp 2, who will live will see.

Back