Upgrading my RAID 0 and need some quick buying advice

Teenyman45

2[H]4U
Since I now have 1TB of SSDs it's time to upgrade my RAID 0 from 2x 1TB to 2x 2TB drives.

I prefer WD Caviar Black lines for the 5 year warranty and have only ever had one WD drive die on me. However, I am split between the regular home FAEX drives for ~$160 each or should a I get a pair of FYYG or FYYZ drives for ~$200 each? (and what's the difference between FYYG and FYYZ)

Are the "enterprise" grade drives worth the 25% premium?

You should take a look at their Red drives. They are designed for home RAID applications.

Been replacing my 2tb failed drives with the Red's for a while now, seem to be working well.

That said tigerdirect has those red drives 2tb ones for 80 bucks after rebate right now if it's not sold out. Pretty decent deal, not sure if you can do 2 per rebate other wise they're 100 bucks.

You should take a look at their Red drives. They are designed for home RAID applications.

They're designed for home RAIDs with redundancy, I wouldn't recommend them for RAID0 at all. I also wouldn't recommend RAID0 either though.

The WD Enterprise RE 2TB are $160 w/5YR warranty.

NewEgg wants to rape you for $199/each so, look elsewhere ;)

I don't think it's worth running them in RAID0 though.

I didn't see the RAID 0 part. I would get WD velociraptors. I guess they don't come in 2TB sizes but they are super reliable and about as fast as a spinning SATA drive gets and I am pretty sure they have a 5 year warranty.

The first question should be: what is the purpose of the HDD RAID0? Is it for backup? Is it for anything that does not fit on your 1 TB of SSD space (hard to imagine)? I see no reason to run a HDD RAID0 on a desktop system anymore when you can use SSDs, even a single drive with a SSD cache would be superior in almost all cases.

The first question should be: what is the purpose of the HDD RAID0?
I agree.

RAID0 on mechanical drives is pretty much a waste but it's his money to waste. :)

Back